1.084 pitch rate question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xurgee

Reaction score
I'm brewing a double IPA with an estimated original gravity of 1.084. I'm of the opinion that one package of Safale 05 is not enough. My question is.... Is two packages too much? Will I be over-pitching if I use two rehydrated packages if Safale 05?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

if your using the 11.5 gram packs of safale 05, just use 1.5 packs. you can save the other half pack in your fridge untill you brew it again, then youll only need to get 1 more pack. unless you harvest your yeast. then you wont need anything.

I use two packs for anything over 1.070. My understanding is that you have to seriously over pitch (like 3 or 4 packs) before you would ever notice a yeasty flavor.

yeah, over pitching by 5 grams will hurt nothing, but its not needed. save it for your next batch. that is, if you like the beer your making right now.

I would actually do three packs. I like to pitch at 1 million cells/ml/degree plato like the pros do. 3 packs gets you about 350 billion cells, which is just a bit less than you would need at the above pitch rate, but would do the job. At the very least, use two. No need being so cheap as to save 1/2 a pack of S-05 in a Ziploc bag.

Latest posts

Back