08-08-08 Russian Imperial Stout Exchange

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I tried to resist, I ended up sampling a couple of bottles over the last two weeks. Overall, I think it will be a decent RIS, but I have identified some improvements I will make the next time I brew one.

As far as the swap goes, I know who I am sending to, but are these the same people who will be sending to me?

Looking forward to trying other interpretations of this beer.

McKBrew said:
...As far as the swap goes, I know who I am sending to, but are these the same people who will be sending to me?
Most likely not.

I sent Chriso a "Random Name Selector" excel program. Should have been completely random, but some names may be reciprocal.

To prevent Chriso from getting a slew of PM's, I'd suggest we PM our recipients to let them know we drew their names. I’ve already sent off a PM to my folks and thankfully so. One individual will be in the middle of a move so I will delay his package.

Plus, the shipping / delivery times for this swap are pretty broad. A courtesy PM letting your recipient know your expected ship date (range) will keep Chriso from getting the usual “Hey…who drew my name…I haven’t got my beer yet…” messages.

Good timing, Landhoney! No, haven't mucked with the raspberry yet, it's still chilling in the basement. Project 1 this weekend is take a gravity reading, then see what's up. I plan to mail packages around 4/15 so that I have time to adjust the raspberry however necessary, and bottle it up.

EVERYBODY, PLEASE when you receive your lists, PM all of the recipients on the list you received, and let them know that you got them, and that you'll be shipping on x date. Thanks in advance.
Sorry to echo you, BierMuncher, thanks for filling in. I didn't notice I had wrapped to Pg 5 of this thread already and thus didn't see your post! ;)

I'll go ahead and offer the next set of instructions, even though not everyone's ready for them.

WHEN YOU SHIP YOUR BEERS, Please go to the Sampling & Critique forum (the one this thread is in) and create a NEW THREAD.

TITLE THIS THREAD "RIS Swap - *Yourname*'s Beers"

Within the thread, please post: How many beers you sent out, to whom, and what beers they are. Especially if you use abbreviations on the bottle caps, PLEASE post what each abbreviation stands for.

An excellent example of this is (this thread).

Again, you are creating YOUR OWN new thread. When your recipients get their beers, they post IN YOUR THREAD. When you receive someone else's beer, you post the review in THEIR thread.

Any ?'s, PM or reply! Thanks all and happy shipping!

I have a keezer malfuntion. The RIS is carb'd and ready to go. But my keezer is dead. I'm gonna get to order a new one this week but I may be a bit delayed getting the beer out of the keg and into bottles. I'd expect a week's delay.

I'm actually receiving beer from two of the guys I sent to. I haven't heard from the third yet, or even heard of him before, but I sent him beer anyway.

Yuri_Rage said:
You, terrapin, and ETOJ are my recipients. I haven't sent anything yet. It'll be in the mail soon.

Kewl. I have my submissions all boxed up and just have to hit the shipping place.

In the past, there have been murmurs of "the system losing PMs" .... Kevin Dean and I both had sent PMs to TxBrew that he didn't receive. Never heard back if it was a "real issue" or just crossed wires. Don't know if there were more occurrences than just mine.

If you've sent a PM already, but you notice one of your recipients here talking about never getting the PM, might be best to make a note of it to Tx, and re-send the PM to the recipient.

Again, I don't know if this is a "real" server issue, or something more complex (special characters?) OR something completely non-issue/mistake oriented, but I figured it would be worth it to point it out.

----

That said, if you haven't yet PMed your recipients, DO SO, PLEASE! :)

If you are concerned and want to know who drew your name, PM me and I will look it up. Just please be patient, as I'm in wedding planning hell right now, tomorrow marks 2 months to go, and we have a lot of work left to do. :)

Sonofabiyatch.

I f'ed up a couple names. Evets, your comment about "two of the people" got me looking into PMs (because I thought you should only be receiving from ONE of your three )......... Long story short, Evan and Evets both got Flowerysong for spot #3, then Prof Frink got Brewt00l for #3 instead of Yuri, then the next one on the list was correct.

I would "fix" the problem by taking Yuri, but he's already in my #1 spot.

Evan!, if you haven't mailed your packages yet, please PM me! The "easy" fix to this problem is to switch Flowerysong out of your #3 spot in exchange for Yuri_Rage. (I sent you a PM too, in case.)

The funny thing is that when I was preparing PMs, the first 6 names on my list took 10 minutes each, and had the most errors. Then I RDWHAHB'd, and the other 24 names on the list just finished themselves - accurately! :D

Edit: I wasn't kidding about those first 6 names. While auditing the rest of the list for more errors, I found I had doubled another person up. Already contacted DeathBrewer and Brewsmith, correction has been made. This time, I just had to send the right address, the one that should've gone out to begin with.

No, I just have to re-type the list. BM's spreadsheet works primarily off of real name. And I dont want you all to have your real names posted up here.

I will take the spreadsheet w/ me to work tomorrow, and will have the Who-got-Who up tomorrow.

I'd do it now, but like I said, I have to do a bit of manual labor on it.

Edit: Prof Frink, you are still fine. It was the person shipping TO you whose list I messed up. Basically, had I not checked for errors (this is actually the third time, I didn't catch EITHER error the first two times through.), you and Yuri Rage would have been short one box of beer. Likewise CBBaron and Flowerysong would have ended up PLUS one box of beer each. (Sorry guys, I know you weren't going to complain about getting extra beer! :) )

Just as long as I get my beer. ;)
Seriously though, you're doing a great job chriso and we've got over three months to hold onto these things before drinking if we all ship by the end of the month. Plenty of time for all this. :mug:

landhoney said:
Just as long as I get my beer. ;)
Seriously though, you're doing a great job chriso and we've got over three months to hold onto these things before drinking if we all ship by the end of the month. Plenty of time for all this. :mug:

Yours is shipping tomorrow from me landhoney. I tried to get them out last week, but never made it to the bubble wrap store.

korndog said:
Yours is shipping tomorrow from me landhoney. I tried to get them out last week, but never made it to the bubble wrap store.

Thanks, good news, but I was really just kidding. I'm in no hurry, more time to fight temptation right? ;)

OK, You asked for it, here it is. Please note, you are reading ACROSS. So, to find who's shipping TO you, you have to scan the list for your name (3 times), and read to the left.

hbt_swap_list.jpg

chriso said:
OK, You asked for it, here it is. Please note, you are reading ACROSS. So, to find who's shipping TO you, you have to scan the list for your name (3 times), and read to the left.
Sweet...
85 (ish) boxes of Russian Imperial Stout traversing the countryside. :ban:

BierMuncher said:
Sweet...
85 (ish) boxes of Russian Imperial Stout traversing the countryside. :ban:

You're just excited because you're getting the 'creators' 8-8-8!;)

edit>Also, I'm glad no one is getting beers from both Evan! and me because we brewed together(same batch split up). Not sure if chriso did this intentionally or it just worked out that way. I used a different yeast, but I imagine they'll be quite similar. Maybe not, hopefully Evan! and I can swap some at some point and see.

landhoney said:
You're just excited because you're getting the 'creators' 8-8-8!;)
me too!!!! :ban:
I'm also excited because this is my best beer yet so I really want to see what others think of it.

Craig

TerapinChef said:
So here's a big question....who's shipping out freebies? Anybody sending out extra's for a tasting before August?

I sent 2 12oz bottles of RIS plus two other beers to each of my recipients. Personally, I don't care when they drink them. ;)

TerapinChef said:
So here's a big question....who's shipping out freebies? Anybody sending out extra's for a tasting before August?
I pulled out all my beers for shipping. My recipients will get:
2 bottles of the 08-08-08
a bottle of my previous RIS from last August, ready to drink now
A bottle of the Porter I am drinking for something lighter
and as a bonus a bottle Great Lakes Blackout Stout (RIS).

That's alot of my favorite beers being sent out :(
Luckily they should be replaced by other great beers :D

Craig

I am sending 3 12oz of my 888RIS and 1 12oz of Sisyphus barleywine by the Real Ale Brewing Company of Blanco, TX. The Sisyphus will be ready to go as soon as it gets over the jet lag from the trip. My Boston bound box got out two days ago. If it arrives with no broken glass I will be shipping to CA and PA on 04-14.

Sounds like a bunch of people are interested in sending out extras...I bottled some in 22's and some in 12's cuz I wasn't sure what everyone would would be doing. I really wanted to send out a few of my porters, especially now that I saw who I will be sending them to, cuz I think it's a great recipe and I was hoping for some feedback...good to hear. I'll most likely be sending out a bit of each then. :mug:

Okay so at the last minute I decide on a slight twist to the recipe. Not gonna divulge, but it'll take another 7-10 days to "enact".

I figure on sending out early the last week of April. A little close to the deadline, but within the window.

It'll be worth it though...

BierMuncher said:
Okay so at the last minute I decide on a slight twist to the recipe. Not gonna divulge, but it'll take another 7-10 days to "enact".

I figure on sending out early the last week of April. A little close to the deadline, but within the window.

It'll be worth it though...
YOu're going to include a Russian mail order bride. Excellent!

So I doubt I'm going to get around to "dealing" with the Raspberry Brett RIS. I might "deal" with it sometime next month, and post-ship an extra bonus to each of my recipients once bottled. In the meantime, I have a couple of my beers that are ripe to include, and I'm a fan of them, so yeah!

Now just need boxes, and it's ship time. Picked up a ton of extra shipping foam today at work.

Mine are likewise packaged. Mine contain two bottles of 888, 1 bottle of 888 with raspberries, and 1 bottle with Vinnie's house culture chips added in a secondary resulting in a belgian imperial stout.

They will be taken to UPS in the morning.

Brewpastor said:
Mine are likewise packaged. Mine contain two bottles of 888, 1 bottle of 888 with raspberries, and 1 bottle with Vinnie's house culture chips added in a secondary resulting in a belgian imperial stout.

They will be taken to UPS in the morning.
I'm gonna be one happy dude on August 8th...though I'd imagine I'll cellar a few bottles that I receive for further aging.

By the way, do we know what day of the week that is? :D

Brewpastor said:
Friday and the opening of the Beijing Olympics!

nice timing..this should be interesting. I missed out on the 888 brew day becasue had made my imperial stout a few weeks prior..its a bit bigger at 1.12 OG but I think this would be a good time to crack open a bottle.(I'm sure I will break sooner and try one) I would like to see a side by side of say 10 radom brews of this so PM and I will give you my address and take some nice notes of how close all ten are:D

Jay

Back