08-08-08 Russian Imperial Stout Exchange

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I was in for the brew, and now I want to be in for the swap as well. I'll shoot a pm over to confirm.

Brewsmith and Section1: Got it!

I have a question: Is (for each recipient) 2x 22oz or 3x 12oz too much beer? Do you think we're going overboard? Should I scale this back to 1x 22oz or 2x 12oz?

Your collective thoughts, please?

(Good point on shipping breakage, Brewsmith)

I think it's fine, especially to justify the shipping, and incase something does happen to one bottle. 2 22's or 3 12's sounds fine to me.

chriso said:
Brewsmith and Section1: Got it!

I have a question: Is 2x 22oz or 3x 12oz too much beer? Do you think we're going overboard? Should I scale this back to 1x 22oz or 2x 12oz?

Your collective thoughts, please?

So we each send 1 bottle to 2 or 3 people? Or 2 - 3 bottles to 1 person? This is my first swap :eek:

Warped04 said:
So we each send 1 bottle to 2 or 3 people? Or 2 - 3 bottles to 1 person? This is my first swap :eek:

Sorry, I'm not the most concise person either, I type like I talk - long and rambling!

It would be (2x 22oz bombers) or (3x 12oz standard bottles) to each of the 3 people that are on your list.

I will randomize people and generate the list sometime in March '08, which means if Joe Schmoe has an infected batch, he can just contact me and let me know that things didn't work out, and nobody will be "shorted" a batch of beer, instead he just won't be included in the distribution lists.

Also, I didn't make this clear in the original post, but I will be asking for shipping addresses at about the end of Febrewary. This is before I generate the distribution lists in March, and send them to each brewer no later than April 1, 2008.

:fro:

As I mentioned earlier, I have cross-checked our "I'm In" list to see who is a Supporting Member and who isn't. As the current policy posted by olllllo indicates, you must be at least a Supporting Member to participate in swaps - this is because of privacy concerns, sharing home addresses, etc.

IF YOUR NAME IS ON THIS LIST... you are not currently in a status that permits you to participate in this swap! We'd love to have you though!! :(

- eviltwinofjoni (Senior Member)
- Lil' Sparky (Senior Member)
- Engelramm (Senior Member)
- IndyPABrewGuy (Senior Member)
- CBBaron (Senior Member)

- rpucci (Member)
- peterfuse (Member)
- Dycokac (Member)

If you upgrade your membership in order to join the swap, please PM me to make sure I see it and can add you to the list! Thanks!

the_bird said:
Yuri's a Vendor, and before that, he was either a lifetime member or a premium member (can't remember which). I'll vouch for him ;)

:D LOL, yeah, I didn't remove him from the list, because he's clearly SOMETHING besides new member. After all, gallery, user pic, custom title... all signs point to go. Just wanted to double-triple-check.

chriso said:
Sorry, I'm not the most concise person either, I type like I talk - long and rambling!

It would be (2x 22oz bombers) or (3x 12oz standard bottles) to each of the 3 people that are on your list.

I will randomize people and generate the list sometime in Feb. 08, which means if Joe Schmoe has an infected batch, he can just contact me and let me know that things didn't work out, and nobody will be "shorted" a batch of beer, instead he just won't be included in the distribution lists.

Also, I didn't make this clear in the original post, but I will be asking for shipping addresses at about that time - between the end of January and mid-February.

That sounds reasonable.

chriso said:
IF YOUR NAME IS ON THIS LIST... you are not currently in a status that permits you to participate in this swap! We'd love to have you though!! :(

- eviltwinofjoni (Senior Member)
- Lil' Sparky (Senior Member)
- Engelramm (Senior Member)
- IndyPABrewGuy (Senior Member)
- CBBaron (Senior Member)

- rpucci (Member)
- peterfuse (Member)
- Dycokac (Member)
Are you sure you want my beer. I'm still in my first year of brewing and will be using a couple pounds of DME to make up for my 5gal MLT. I'd like to participate but I don't think I can match the quality that many of the brewers here are putting out.
Well I'll probably still upgrade to supporting member before brew day. I have gotten alot out of this site, including what looks to be a great recipe from one of the masters.

Craig Baker

I fear no beer!

Well, except all those new 99-cent malt liquors they keep coming out with. Those are scary - and the hangover is even worse.

I fear no reasonable beer, I guess!

BierMuncher said:
Chriso...did you get that spreadsheet I sent?

Yessir, thanks again! I haven't had the chance to play with it yet, we had a local beer comp Sunday, and then registration for the upcoming one yesterday, so I've been busy with my fermentables! :D

I missed this thread, too (including discussion on my behalf...thanks bird!). I suppose my status here is "Lifetime Supporting Vendor" or something like that. Anyway, I'm in!

My Triple-8 will most likely be bottled in 16 oz aluminum bottles, but I'll make up the volume difference with an extra bottle.

BrewBrain and Yuri, already on the list, thanx for confirming!
ScubaSteve, added!

If you upgrade your membership to join in on the swap, please PM me so that I see it and can add you! Thanks!

Oh yeah...

And any deadbeats from prior (or current) swaps need not apply.:mad:

We ought to coordinate with Bird about any recent beerswap welchers and scrub the list.

BierMuncher said:
Oh yeah...

And any deadbeats from prior (or current) swaps need not apply.:mad:

We ought to coordinate with Bird about any recent beerswap welchers and scrub the list.

Good call, thanks BM!

Brewpastor said:
Will the swap have any regionality to it? That could help with postage!

That's a good idea... suggestions? Make a "West", "Central", and "East" zone? Go further than that? :confused:

chriso said:
That's a good idea... suggestions? Make a "West", "Central", and "East" zone? Go further than that? :confused:

It only cost me $12 to ship 4 – 12 Ouncers to CA from the Midwest.

I think the excessive cost comes from shipping from the four corners ...i.e Northeast to the Southwest…

Maybe keeping it as simple as splitting the country down the middle will insure nobody spends over $15 in shipping.

I just hate to see it get too complex for the organizer (Chriso) ;)

Maybe what could work is... I randomize just like we were planning to do.... then, before we make the list "final", I just visually check over it to make sure that nobody is shipping from Maine to south Cali, or from Washington State to Florida.... just a quick eyeball check for anything that seems excessively far...

Sound OK? It passes my KISS test :D

chriso said:
BrewBrain and Yuri, already on the list, thanx for confirming!
ScubaSteve, added!

If you upgrade your membership to join in on the swap, please PM me so that I see it and can add you! Thanks!

YEEEEEEEHAAAAWWWW!:ban: :ban: :ban:

chriso said:
Maybe what could work is... I randomize just like we were planning to do.... then, before we make the list "final", I just visually check over it to make sure that nobody is shipping from Maine to south Cali, or from Washington State to Florida.... just a quick eyeball check for anything that seems excessively far...

Sound OK? It passes my KISS test :D

I just shipped three packages from California - two to Texas and one to Maryland. They were all basically the same price ~ $12 or so.

Ó Flannagáin said:
Dude, that's awesome! Am I wrong in my assumption here or is AHB carrying the 888 kit?

Brewpastor, your famous!!

Ding ding ding!!!!! :fro:

I'm totally psyched... I'm ordering mine on payday. WOOT!

Hot damn! I'm picking mine up as soon as I have the available funds. Way to go chriso and AHB! This is gonna rock!

Just bought the membership (should have done it months ago...procrastination) so I will throw my name in the hat as well!

Drunkensatyr said:
Just bought the membership (should have done it months ago...procrastination) so I will throw my name in the hat as well!

Woot! I go makey edit right now.

Update: I have changed the quantities of beer to be sent out for the Supporting Member swap. I have already updated the main post to reflect this. This is based off of information from prior swaps that have been conducted, and feedback to those swaps.

Prior to today, the agreement was to send (2x 22oz = 44oz total) or (3x 12 oz = 36oz total).

I am changing this to (2x 22oz = 44oz total) or (4x 12oz = 48oz total).

The reason that I am changing this is because the previous numbers were skewed too heavily in favor of those who send 12 oz bottles. That is to say, many people would be getting 8 "extra" ounces of beer, or would be getting "shorted" 8 ounces of beer. Choosing 4x12 selects a total ounce amount closer to the 22oz amount.

In other words, as the_bird usually puts it, "You will be sending out a minimum of 44 fluid ounces to three other individuals, and receiving back the same. To each person, you may send either a pair of 22ounce bombers, or four 12-ounce bottles."

I hope everyone is OK with this minor alteration. As I mentioned, I am making this change in order to operate as similarly to other HBT swaps as possible. Please PM me if you have any questions.

Back