08-08-08 Russian Imperial Stout Exchange

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm very, very sorry; I've been an extremely bad swapper this time around. I am getting married this Saturday and had my grandfather pass away a couple of weeks ago in Texas. All of this has kept me from doing anything at all that isn't wedding (or funeral) related. I haven't brewed in months. I haven't checked HBT in a couple of weeks, which is the longest I have ever gone since I joined.:(

I'm off work the next couple of days and hope to send my beers out tomorrow, time permitting. If I do, I won't send a tracking number, just watch for them! However, I have to be honest, with so much going on, it's a longshot.

If I run short of time and cannot send them, then it won't be until we return from our honeymoon on Sept. 14th. But I promise I will send them out! I'm not one to welch out on a deal!

I'm terribly sorry for your loss, Rhoobarb. An event like that, while trying to organize a wedding, is always a very stressful ordeal. Thanks very much for checking in here, and early congratulations on the wedding!

I'm very, very sorry; I've been an extremely bad swapper this time around. I am getting married this Saturday and had my grandfather pass away a couple of weeks ago in Texas. All of this has kept me from doing anything at all that isn't wedding (or funeral) related. I haven't brewed in months. I haven't checked HBT in a couple of weeks, which is the longest I have ever gone since I joined.:(

I'm off work the next couple of days and hope to send my beers out tomorrow, time permitting. If I do, I won't send a tracking number, just watch for them! However, I have to be honest, with so much going on, it's a longshot.

If I run short of time and cannot send them, then it won't be until we return from our honeymoon on Sept. 14th. But I promise I will send them out! I'm not one to welch out on a deal!

All we ask is that you keep the important things important and let us know that you still have that RDWHAHB attitude. Congrats!

Shunoshi posted a while back: Bad batch, did not ship, but will be shipping an "assortment of top quality brews at some point." So, in Limbo for now.

Never received anything from Shunoshi.

Ack, I'm on it, I swear. :eek:

Apologies to Yuri, ScubaSteve, and Rhoobarb...I sucked it up this time around. I plan on picking up an assortment of Bells, Summit, and Surly brews to ship out to you all. I'm hoping Surly will release SurlyFest this week (their version of a Marzen) so I can pick that up as well. I'll make the shipment worth it, I swear.

...just hope my wife doesn't castrate me after seeing the price tag.... :(

On a sidenote, I never got anything from landhoney (kettle, meet pot), but from what I hear he's MIA. I'm not really worried about it though.

I can't decide whether to do 2nd round tastings of Pseudo, ollllo, and CBBaron's RISes on... New Years '09, or on 8/8/09. Thoughts?

I can't decide whether to do 2nd round tastings of Pseudo, ollllo, and CBBaron's RISes on... New Years '09, or on 8/8/09. Thoughts?

I was just thinking about this as well...when to drink the rest of them.
New Years sounds better to me, I'd like to taste them when the weather is a bit more suited to an RIS than when it's 90 degrees outside.

Also...I'd like to light a fire under Evan! to post my last review. It's all written out, he said, he just hadn't posted it yet.

I was just thinking about this as well...when to drink the rest of them.
New Years sounds better to me, I'd like to taste them when the weather is a bit more suited to an RIS than when it's 90 degrees outside.

I'm with you. It's also the anniversary of the brew date for me, so I think I'm going to do mine on 1/1/9.

I vote 1/1/09 as that's about the 1 year old date. I'll have to hit each again at that time.

Craig

Mine are all gone, long gone. But at least I have the memories! Who holds on to beer that long anyway? :D

So many beers to try and only so much time to try them.
The 08-08-08 RISes deserve my full senses so I won't open one when I'm stuffed up or have other problems smelling or tasting.
I want to try at least 2 side by side and i won't usually drink that much beer on a work night.
So it takes some time to get to the second and third samples from each brewer from the swap. I still havn't opened the sour RIS from Brewpastor yet and i really want to try it. Tonight sounds like a good night.

Craig

Mine are all gone, long gone. But at least I have the memories! Who holds on to beer that long anyway? :D

Did you ever get around to trying the Strawberry wine I sent you? If not, get on it. It won't improve with age. (Althought Mrs PTN and I just opened up a 3 year old Strawberry that was wonderful.) It is a fresh, light wine that will be best if drunk young.

PTN

I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of feedback from this swap. Even a quick "Your beer sucks, and you suck for sending it out" would be something.

I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of feedback from this swap. Even a quick "Your beer sucks, and you suck for sending it out" would be something.

I don't think any ever arrived. I was to receive yours but only had bottles from the other two senders, that or I got the shippers confused and drank yours thinking it was somebody else's and sent them my rave reviews! If I had yours it was great because every one of the 888s I received was fantastic. If I screwed up I am really sorry.

Damn, I am wrong. I did receive yours and I did not give you feed back. I have tasting notes and I sent them to another brewer. I will pull them up and pass them along. Sorry.

I'm still waiting on my feedback from Evan as well, and I'll be getting more feedback on Friday with the judging of the Brew Bubbas Big Beer Brewoff (November Edition) This is my first contest entry, and I wouldn't have done it with any other beer. I love this brew!

Speaking of Chefs, I'm the only RIS review posted in PsuedoChef's thread. One non-RIS was posted, but no other RISes.

Korndog and Flowerysong... It's not the same as feedback, but I can send you a consolation care package if you like. I feel really bad that you two got shafted pretty badly, and both wound up with two welchers that got your beers. :(

I might start trolling through the review threads, with a copy of my Who-Shipped-To list, and start checking for other holes. A review was agreed upon as part of this swap criteria. :confused:

Damn, I am wrong. I did receive yours and I did not give you feed back. I have tasting notes and I sent them to another brewer. I will pull them up and pass them along. Sorry.

No worries, just thought I'd jog memories and see if something rose to the surface.

Chriso said:
Korndog and Flowerysong... It's not the same as feedback, but I can send you a consolation care package if you like. I feel really bad that you two got shafted pretty badly, and both wound up with two welchers that got your beers.

While the greedy five-year-old in me is jumping up and down and saying "gimme", there's really no need. I knew going in that I could get stiffed, and though I'm a bit peeved that the person who got extra beer from me didn't even ship to his assigned people, that's entirely his responsibility and not yours. I at least received my full quota of beer, which (being a pessimist by nature) was more than I expected.

Speaking of Chefs, I'm the only RIS review posted in PsuedoChef's thread. One non-RIS was posted, but no other RISes.

Yep, that's 2 of 2 swaps I participated in that had less than marginal feedback from the masses. Done with HBT swaps. Not worth my time or shipping money.

But thank you for taking the time to review, I appreciate it.

I think there needs to be some vetting process to insure that only serious members participate. Prior trading experience required maybe?

I agree with the sentiment, korndog, but I can't think of a way to implement that ... after all, everyone will have a First swap at some point.... We could rely on one-on-one swaps to count for "prior experience"... but then people could just lie.

No matter what we come up with (In the 10der & Mild swap, for example, olllllo required email and phone #'s, kept confidential, in case something went bottom-up) we are trying to use rules and policies to circumvent or prevent what is essentially a personal integrity issue. Ultimately, it is the person on the other end of the wire who didn't fulfill their "contract", whether that's by not shipping beer, or by failing to provide any feedback to the people who shipped to them. It's disappointing. I have no other word to describe it. It's just plain disappointing.

I always recognized the potential was there for events such as this to occur, but I did not truly think it was going to happen with this swap, because I had only witnessed the GOOD character and integrity of many of our upstanding members up until that point.

I agree with the sentiment, korndog, but I can't think of a way to implement that ... after all, everyone will have a First swap at some point.... We could rely on one-on-one swaps to count for "prior experience"... but then people could just lie.

No matter what we come up with (In the 10der & Mild swap, for example, olllllo required email and phone #'s, kept confidential, in case something went bottom-up) we are trying to use rules and policies to circumvent or prevent what is essentially a personal integrity issue. Ultimately, it is the person on the other end of the wire who didn't fulfill their "contract", whether that's by not shipping beer, or by failing to provide any feedback to the people who shipped to them. It's disappointing. I have no other word to describe it. It's just plain disappointing.

I always recognized the potential was there for events such as this to occur, but I did not truly think it was going to happen with this swap, because I had only witnessed the GOOD character and integrity of many of our upstanding members up until that point.

Understood. No much else you can do.

It makes me sad...:(

But I did get two reviews, and I'm sure that Evan! will post mine eventually. I just wish I could have gotten all of my reviews before all of my beer was gone. I'm down to three bottles and I need one of them in case I make the Best In Show for the brewbubbas thing...good thing the other two I have left are bombers!:ban:

Scoresheets are in from this month's round of the Brew bubbas homebrew contest. Here's my scoresheets...
From judge Kevin Kutskill
Scoresheet2.bmp

And From Andy Moore (from Cap n Cork)

Scoresheet1.bmp

I'll leave my rassin-frassin comments for only my dogs to hear, but I'm semi-pleased overall. This was my first competition entry. The "could benefit from aging" comment made me want to slap somebody though. I made this January 1, almost 11 months ago.

Well we wish you the best in your personal life and know that your presence here has been missed, and hope that you can find the happiness in beer that you once did.

A heartfelt :mug:

Some interesting Russian Imperial Statistics for you all:

24 of 28 participants posted a Review Thread.
4 of 28 participants welched, and did not ship beer.
6 packages of beer were sent to welchers, never to be seen again(?).
7 participants' Review Threads had RIS reviews from all three recipients.
9 participants' Review Threads had RIS reviews from two, but not three, recipients.
6 participants' Review Threads had RIS reviews from only one recipient.
2 participants' Review Threads had RIS reviews from zero recipients.
2 recipients posted reviews of their senders' other "bonus" beers, but not their RISes.
15 RIS reviews are missing, in 13 Review Threads, from 7 active users.
45 RIS reviews were posted in 22 Review Threads. (*)
1 RIS reviewer is in a different state than his beers are, and could yet post reviews at any date.
0 of these statistics actually mean anything. I was just curious, and like numbers.

(* - This only includes regular 888 RIS. Variants, such as CBBaron's year-old RIS, or BrewPastor's Raspberry RIS, were not included in this count.)

Some interesting Russian Imperial Statistics for you all:

24 of 28 participants posted a Review Thread.
4 of 28 participants welched, and did not ship beer.
6 packages of beer were sent to welchers, never to be seen again(?).
7 participants' Review Threads had RIS reviews from all three recipients.
9 participants' Review Threads had RIS reviews from two, but not three, recipients.
6 participants' Review Threads had RIS reviews from only one recipient.
2 participants' Review Threads had RIS reviews from zero recipients.
2 recipients posted reviews of their senders' other "bonus" beers, but not their RISes.
15 RIS reviews are missing, in 13 Review Threads, from 7 active users.
45 RIS reviews were posted in 22 Review Threads. (*)
1 RIS reviewer is in a different state than his beers are, and could yet post reviews at any date.
0 of these statistics actually mean anything. I was just curious, and like numbers.

(* - This only includes regular 888 RIS. Variants, such as CBBaron's year-old RIS, or BrewPastor's Raspberry RIS, were not included in this count.)

Nice stats. I got the double whammy. Stiffed on one beer and no reivews. Do I get some kind of prize? Lol. Just kidding; It's all good.

Just racked another 8-8-8 theother day. Excellent beer.

Back