08-08-08 Russian Imperial Stout Exchange

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, that seemed a little anti-climatic. looks like only 6-7 people have commented on the 888. kinda dulls my enthusiasm for the the 999.

I was out and about yesterday and didn't get a chance to try mine yet. I'll be sampling Warped04's brew this evening.

well, that seemed a little anti-climatic. looks like only 6-7 people have commented on the 888. kinda dulls my enthusiasm for the the 999.

Keep in mind that not everyone who participated may have had the luxury of having nothing to do Friday night besides sample a 9% beer...and then take time to post about it here. :drunk:

Rest assured...those who talked about the 888-RIS back in late '07, dialogued about the recipe up until brew date, brewed on (or around) January 1st and posted pics, discussed the beers progress the next 90 days, shipped thier beers, received other's beers and then coddled their arrivals until the proper time...have enjoyed the process.

With around 7 more bottles of "imported" RIS on the chill, there will be plenty of the black gold pouring as I watch the Olympics...whic I will always remember...not for the medals or ceremonies...but for the beer that was brewed by others...for me to enjoy.

I opened the Pastors 888 on opening ceremony night...and I plan to enjoy the closing ceremonies opening his 2nd bottle.

Now...if all this seems anti-climatic, you can withdraw from the 999. ;)

But we hope you don't. :D

Anti-climatic???

Heck NO. I opened a bottle of 8-8-8 from the originator himself and it was even better than my high expectations. The second 8-8-8 I opened was really good also.

Unfortunately 2 9% ABV beers is about my limit for the evening so the last 8-8-8 and the other beers sent will have to wait for another time.

It has been fun and just trying to figure out how to brew the 9-9-9 has been fun and challenging.

Craig

With around 7 more bottles of "imported" RIS on the chill, there will be plenty of the black gold pouring as I watch the Olympics...whic I will always remember...not for the medals or ceremonies...but for the beer that was brewed by others...for me to enjoy.

:off: Back when HBD (Home brew Digest) was the big ticket for brewers, and the Olympics were in Sydney (I'm dating myself a little), we had our own beer drinking Olympics. Good times.

Also one more thing to remember, I know a lot of people cracked their first bottle of 8/8/8 at 8:08 PM. Give us some time. :fro:

I'm sure those of you who enjoyed an 888 or two last night had a good time of it. But as a bystander, having no 888 to drink myself, I had to rely on the reports of others. I completely understand many may not have had the time to sample 9% ABV last night, but wasn't that the point? I mean, it was the 8/8/08 RIS. The whole concept of many brewing similar beers to be enjoyed on the same day is the whole draw to the x/x/x beer concept. I expected people to log on and post last night while drinking the beer, in order to enhance the feeling of sharing in the activity. Some did. I guess I'm an idealist. Regardless, I'm sure I'll have fun in the brewing and drinking of the 999.

By the way, what yuri did by comparing three of the 888 RIS was really cool and exactly the kind of thing I was expecting.

And see, you can plan on me doing the same as Yuri......just as soon as I'm back in my own home state. Sometimes life can't be avoided, no matter how good the beer is. After all, had I brought the beers with me, the yeast would've probably shaken back into suspension and I might not have enjoyed them as much! They're in the kegerator right now, and I will damn well try them sometime very soon. I'm just waiting till I have proper time to devote, so that i can give the brewers the proper attention they and their beers deserve.

That said, I had a GREAT day killing time at the Olde Main, and I got a sack of 2-row for 25 bucks! And a shirt and a pint glass! And drunk!

Your disappointment was premature. It's been a week...now it's time for disappointment. We're at something less than 64% participation in the "Sampling & Critiquing" forum (only 18 of 28 participants have had any posts in their threads since 8-8-8, and most, if not all of them have not had all three recipients respond). I only got 66% of the beer that I was supposed to receive. I know I'm not the only victim of non-shipment. That's enough to dissuade me from further participation in mass swaps. I'll probably brew the 9-9-9 recipe sometime, but I'm not going to waste any more time/money on shipping. Sorry folks, but this was a failure despite the extraordinary efforts by BM and Chriso.

I'm with you Yuri. I thought it was just Karma punishing me for shipping late, but dammit if someone isn't going to send me beer (I received 1/3), could the people I sent it to drink mine?

Yeah I'll be doing my posting this weekend. I had one or two of my own on Friday, but it was my birthday so I went ahead and got good and drunk and was in no shape to judge anything except my own verticality. And then I managed to come down with a bit of a summer flu type thing. Now that I'm feeling better I can't wait to start sampling. I'm hoping that Yuri and Warped did a better job than I did, my RIS' were great and I would love to taste something even better...:rockin::mug::tank:

well, i was treated remarkably well in the swaps. two people did not send me their beers but Chriso and EvilTOJ were kind enough to send me their RIS and some other great beers.

it took me a while to comment, but i got them in there. The two people that are still on the forums who received my beers made comments.

c'mon peepz! let's hear some more comments so i can swap with Yuri! :D

I got two out of three, I'll be testing them soon - I'm still trying to get over a cold and I don't know how good my critiquing will be until I can smell that rich malty goodness.

I was lucky enough to receive all 3 beers, but I've not had the time to give them the attention they deserve, and probably won't for at least another week. Maybe two.
I certainly appreciate the comments I've received on my beers so far.

Your disappointment was premature. It's been a week...now it's time for disappointment. We're at something less than 64% participation in the "Sampling & Critiquing" forum (only 18 of 28 participants have had any posts in their threads since 8-8-8, and most, if not all of them have not had all three recipients respond). I only got 66% of the beer that I was supposed to receive. I know I'm not the only victim of non-shipment. That's enough to dissuade me from further participation in mass swaps. I'll probably brew the 9-9-9 recipe sometime, but I'm not going to waste any more time/money on shipping. Sorry folks, but this was a failure despite the extraordinary efforts by BM and Chriso.

Thanks for the reminder Yuri, I had forgotten to post my third review.

I am kind of disappointed that noone has reviewed my 08-08-08 yet but I know one of the bottles had a long trip across the pond. :D

Craig

I am guilty of not having reviewed mine yet -- It's been a busy 2 weeks, and I want, nay, DEMAND that if I'm going to review someone's beer, I'm going to give them the proper time and attention that beer deserves. Rest assured that all 3 of my senders' beers are in the fridge, and WILL be reviewed post-haste.

Perhaps I'll have enough time tonight. Been fixing cars all day, all 3 of our vehicles simultaneously crapped out! So much for the contingency plan! Now I gotta work on that honey-do list.

I am guilty of not having reviewed mine yet -- It's been a busy 2 weeks, and I want, nay, DEMAND that if I'm going to review someone's beer, I'm going to give them the proper time and attention that beer deserves. Rest assured that all 3 of my senders' beers are in the fridge, and WILL be reviewed post-haste.

Perhaps I'll have enough time tonight. Been fixing cars all day, all 3 of our vehicles simultaneously crapped out! So much for the contingency plan! Now I gotta work on that honey-do list.

Say, is there an awards thread. Wondering if anyone has entered their beer in contests. I'm waiting on one result. Fingers crossed.

@korndog, I entered mine into the State fair, judging was yesterday, but results won't be published for a little while. I think next week? Hoping it goes well. I wasn't stewarding that flight of beers, but one of the guys who was judging the stouts said that all four of the RIS'es that were entered were all very good, and received good scores.

I'm also planning on entering mine into an adjacent county fair next month.

With new swaps being organized, I'm going to un-sticky this one.

I'm sure it will be popping up every few days.

Thanks to Chriso for organizing and following through...and making good to some of the folks who went short.

I know I thoroughly enjoyed you RIS's you sent me.

Thanks again.

TerapinChef,

If you want, i would be more then willing to review/ trade you for a bottle of your RIS. I'm local (just got done golfing at St. Clair Shores Country Club) so I could get you a review right away. I know its not the same as the 8-8-8 swap, but it is something.

PM me if you're interested and i'll let you know what I have on hand for a trade.

"The basic swap requirements to participate remain the same:

1. Must be a paying supporter of HBT

2. Must have met all previous obligations to provide beer to other members (other swaps, Secret Santa, stuff like that).

3. Must be willing to provide fair, honest, constructive criticism on the beers you receive - more detailed than just "great beer!," we're here to learn

4. Must be willing to ACCEPT fair, honest, constructive criticism on the beers you send, even if it's not all wonderful.

If you have not reviewed the RISes that other brewers have sent to you yet, PLEASE GET IT DONE. Like I said a few posts above, I was a little over a week late, we all understand that daily hectic life can get in the way of 8+% Stouts that are best experienced over 45 minutes or so. But it's almost a month after the "Big Day" - seriously everyone who is still active, and who received beers, should have something posted on each sender's thread by now.

If you don't see a thread in the Sampling & Critique forum, check your "Show posts from..." setting to make sure it's not defaulted to 1 Month.

As for those who never shipped, period... :confused:

Here's a great idea there, Boy Genius. Send me a few! Then maybe I can blow some smoke up your skirt! Crimey, how do you expect me to french kiss you like I did Terrapin without tasting the beer? I'll ho it out for anyone if it's worth the price!

PTN

Actually, it has been a combo of my Porter Square and Edworts Apfelwine. (Started out on teh PS when I go thome form work but as I got drnker as time went by I had a choice. i could drin really goood beer, smoke crack or dring afprewirn. Afpelwint is chaper and you don't **** up yuopuir brain forever.

But it dowd s damded good gob ins ths short therm. Gnight

Actually, it has been a combo of my Porter Square and Edworts Apfelwine. (Started out on teh PS when I go thome form work but as I got drnker as time went by I had a choice. i could drin really goood beer, smoke crack or dring afprewirn. Afpelwint is chaper and you don't **** up yuopuir brain forever.

The old 3 shift days, I remember drinking a few times in the morning back then. Usually for me it was on a Friday.

I know it's hard to believe, but I didn't actually choose the "Smoke Crack" option this morning. That freakin' Apfelwein will kill ya

I know, I've been slacking on reviews. I have two more to do, and I will get on that ASAP.

But at least you're admitting it. :) Thanks for checking in. With what you mentioned re: hospital visit, I'm sure your recipients understand. Hope you're feeling first-class!
C

I think (if I'm reviewing my notes right) that we had 3 welchers in this swap.

I'll let BierMuncher name the names, as he's kind of the unofficial Commissioner Of Anti-Welching Lists. Plus he's been in direct contact with many of the people who were welched upon, so he might know of a box that shipped that I don't know of.

Latest posts

Back