04 and 05, temps too warm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

attyindaburgh

Reaction score
So I brewed a 10 gallon batch of sierra Nevada clone last sunday. I had the carboys in the basement where the temps are in the low 60's. Both yeasts took off quite well and have since gone quiet and both krausen have fallen. I was thinking about bringing both upstairs to finish off and to dry hop them. The temps upstairs are in the mid to high 70's. Is that too warm? Should I leave them dowstairs?

My vote would be to leave it down there, based on my experience with that same beer. Mine stays in the ferm chamber from start to finish at about 66F, and turns out delicious. I will say that this is only with US-05...haven't brewed it with S-04. Pull a gravity sample, and taste it. If it's good, leave it.

youll be fine to bring it up. fermentation is over at this point. i let all my beers go to room temp(75-80) after a week with no ill effects. off flavors are generally produced during lag phase, reproduction and active fermentation (usually first 3-4 days). if anything, the FG may drop a point or 2 from moving the carboy/rousing the yeast along with the temp change.
ive found its a good idea to bring your beer up to whatever temp it will bottle condition for a few days. ex: i ferment at 60-65 and room temp is 75-80, whenever i didnt allow to rise to room temp, i noticed after i bottled, i had stronger carbonation, not quite gushers but it would foam out if i didnt pour within 30 seconds. i think this is bc the 10-15 degree temp change would get the yeast to chew on some more sugar adn the FG drop a few points. if your kegging this doesnt really matter

and s-04 can throw some fruity esters at warmer temps, your basement temps are fine, but always try to keep that yeast cooler. s-05 is really user friendly with the temp range.

I am kegging so I will leave them downstairs. I did have a mild English brown that I had already brought up. She was in the primary for a couple weeks in the basement and stopped at 1.014, used dry nottingham, og was 1.038. I wanted to go down a couple points on that one and thought the shaking and warmth would do the trick.

Back