☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha speaking of dead, phone crashed, yarg. Rockin kids rca tab. Had second pot of bogali Turku, its a blueberry bomb. I want more on pay day! Can't say more this took 5 min to write

The Indonesian Blue Moon is much better than Sulawesi. I just tried it today after a 3 day rest and it’s a very strong cup of coffee. Very rich dark chocolate notes. :coff3:

Heard interesting ad on radio driving to work this morning. drinktrade.com. Supposedly a coffee subscription service, although it seems you can buy individual packages of coffee from a wide range of specialty micro roasters. If I wasn’t into home roasting I’d probably go for this.

New grinder going through Quality control inspection.

E294C914-1094-4DE2-8C08-83A1DD5C1DD7.jpeg

Anyone ever have the performance of a Behmor 1600+ fall off? I do manual roasts. Preheat for 1:45. 1/2 lb. beans on 1 lb. setting. Roaster and beans stored at 70 F. Roast indoors at 70 F. P5 as soon as I push start. It will no longer achieve 300 degrees by 10:30 when the second fan starts. (Used to be around 320 at 10:00.) I keep the temperature sensor area clean with Simple Green and also have taken covers off and vacuumed and blew off all the fuzzy chaff. Also, supply voltage is always spot-on 120 V. Last roast did not achieve 300 until 6:15 left. I'm thinking the power board is failing. I just looked at Behmor's online parts and they are showing the power board as Out of Stock. And needless to say, the coffee has not been spectacular lately. Experience or opinions? Thanks.

Well...I would be one of those 130...lol. I haven't been on much....busy, busy at work, roasting like a madman when opportunities arise, and still trying to complete my hood vent, for the now Brew\roast shed. I can roast 16 pounds of beans in a day currently...and it takes most of the day, averaging 3 lbs. an hour, on my frankenroaster....so...bit the bullet.....literally!!! Now just waiting for it to get here!

Well...I would be one of those 130...lol. I haven't been on much....busy, busy at work, roasting like a madman when opportunities arise, and still trying to complete my hood vent, for the now Brew\roast shed. I can roast 16 pounds of beans in a day currently...and it takes most of the day, averaging 3 lbs. an hour, on my frankenroaster....so...bit the bullet.....literally!!! Now just waiting for it to get here!

You will have a lot more free time with the new roaster. Enjoy!

Anyone ever have the performance of a Behmor 1600+ fall off? I do manual roasts. Preheat for 1:45. 1/2 lb. beans on 1 lb. setting. Roaster and beans stored at 70 F. Roast indoors at 70 F. P5 as soon as I push start. It will no longer achieve 300 degrees by 10:30 when the second fan starts. (Used to be around 320 at 10:00.) I keep the temperature sensor area clean with Simple Green and also have taken covers off and vacuumed and blew off all the fuzzy chaff. Also, supply voltage is always spot-on 120 V. Last roast did not achieve 300 until 6:15 left. I'm thinking the power board is failing. I just looked at Behmor's online parts and they are showing the power board as Out of Stock. And needless to say, the coffee has not been spectacular lately. Experience or opinions? Thanks.
Is the afterburner coming on? The easiest way to check is just to hit COOL and open the door to check to see if it glows orange.

Is the afterburner coming on? The easiest way to check is just to hit COOL and open the door to check to see if it glows orange.

I did not see the orange glow. I will dig into that tomorrow. Thank you for that.

Is the afterburner, when working, always on with the two quartz heaters?

WOW no kidding! Congrats on the purchase and welcome back bud! It's been a long time!

I did not see the orange glow. I will dig into that tomorrow. Thank you for that.

Is the afterburner, when working, always on with the two quartz heaters?
That I can't tell you. But if you aren't seeing the orange glow it's the afterburner. Fortunately it is usually a quick fix (15 minutes). You should be able to Google that or reach out to Behmor support and they will forward you directions on how to fix. I can always search my email if needed....I had to do it, too.

Haha speaking of dead, phone crashed, yarg. Rockin kids rca tab. Had second pot of bogali Turku, its a blueberry bomb. I want more on pay day! Can't say more this took 5 min to write

how far did you roast it and how long were you times to first crack and time to drop?

I got some fruitiness but not over the top, also got tea like flavor slightly spicy. 8.5min to first crack then maybe a minute or little more until I dropped it.

The Indonesian Blue Moon is much better than Sulawesi. I just tried it today after a 3 day rest and it’s a very strong cup of coffee. Very rich dark chocolate notes. :coff3:

I tried the natural version of that coffee and was similar but will some fruitiness and ferment character. This one was more fruity than the bogali Turku. I roasted right up to the very first crackle of 2nd crack.

I tried the natural version of that coffee and was similar but will some fruitiness and ferment character. This one was more fruity than the bogali Turku. I roasted right up to the very first crackle of 2nd crack.
That was about how far I went also.

That I can't tell you. But if you aren't seeing the orange glow it's the afterburner. Fortunately it is usually a quick fix (15 minutes). You should be able to Google that or reach out to Behmor support and they will forward you directions on how to fix. I can always search my email if needed....I had to do it, too.

You were correct, Kealia. I found the element to be broken off at the terminal and the slide connector was in very bad shape on the tab. I reconnected the element and pinched the connector to make good contact and gave it a try and it heated up. I'm going to order a new one and request new wires. Thank you for your good information.

@Inkleg i saw on the coffee trade thread that you have a behmor brazen. How do you like that? There's someone selling a behmor connected brewer over on coffeegeek and i'm a little temped to check one out.

You were correct, Kealia. I found the element to be broken off at the terminal and the slide connector was in very bad shape on the tab. I reconnected the element and pinched the connector to make good contact and gave it a try and it heated up. I'm going to order a new one and request new wires. Thank you for your good information.
Sweet, glad I could help!

@Inkleg i saw on the coffee trade thread that you have a behmor brazen. How do you like that? There's someone selling a behmor connected brewer over on coffeegeek and i'm a little temped to check one out.

I also own this and I really like my Behmor Brazen - just the regular no-WiFI or Bluetooth version. Had for a couple years now. Calibration of Temp and selection of brewing temp is nice as is the ability to choose pre-soak time. I like the basket filter style - less risk for uneven extraction compared to inverted V design on my old brewer (Technivorm Moccamaster CD - more about this later). I like that the upper reservoir doesn't trap water in any pickup tubing. There is a variable amount of residual condensate from the near boiling temp though. Only complaints are that the carafe isn't the best insulation, and the lid for the carafe can entrap liquid, but it can be disassembled for cleaning. Technivorm is an inferior brewer. Reservoir must be dumped after EVERY brew or risk uneven extraction - well is unavoidable really - because once siphon breaks, a random amount of water is left behind and isn't in the pot. Does this matter? Yes. I measured it with my VST Coffee Lab refractometer. completely kills ability to brew precisely. Behmor is better although I haven't conducted rigorous tests like I did on the Technivorm. Also the CD, which has better looks and my wife bought for me does not have insulated carafe and no pause switch to steep. Also the water bar is chrome plated not stainless as is claimed it seems. Also for sale if anyone is interested (along with the HotTop).

Not sure why you'd want the connected brewer because well, stale coffee grounds? Or notification that the brewing is over? Really wasn't an important issue to me, but maybe for others I suppose. Can't go wrong really with this as a drip brewer.

TD

Yep. Its official. I have a problem. I entered all my beans into the Roast.World profile database and tabulated my stockpile. Note that aside from 3 pounds of that Columbian and 5 pounds of Decaf I just bought, I haven't bought any green coffee since July 2017 (15 pound order of Kenya Nyeri Gathaithi AB - what was I thinking!). I have nearly 42 KILOS of green coffee as old as 2015! I still have some of that Crown Jewel coffee that Jammin scored for us, and a bunch of EYC Janbar, and a whole lot of other really great coffee, which has probably faded quite a bit by now....

@TallDan pretty much what @TrickyDick said. The Behmor (regular I don't see the need for wifi) is my coffee pot at work and I love it. I have the temperature set to 202 and pre soak for 1:30. I grind the beans when I leave the house each morning and make the coffee at work for myself and a very thankful coworker. I like that it heats the entire amount of water and then brews. I use the screen basket and preheat the carafe prior to brewing. I pour the hot water from the carafe into my cup to warm it while the coffee is brewing. I have a printer label on the front that says NACHO COFFEE just so there is no confusion as to whose coffee it is. ;)

I also own this and I really like my Behmor Brazen - just the regular no-WiFI or Bluetooth version. Had for a couple years now. Calibration of Temp and selection of brewing temp is nice as is the ability to choose pre-soak time. I like the basket filter style - less risk for uneven extraction compared to inverted V design on my old brewer (Technivorm Moccamaster CD - more about this later). I like that the upper reservoir doesn't trap water in any pickup tubing. There is a variable amount of residual condensate from the near boiling temp though. Only complaints are that the carafe isn't the best insulation, and the lid for the carafe can entrap liquid, but it can be disassembled for cleaning. Technivorm is an inferior brewer. Reservoir must be dumped after EVERY brew or risk uneven extraction - well is unavoidable really - because once siphon breaks, a random amount of water is left behind and isn't in the pot. Does this matter? Yes. I measured it with my VST Coffee Lab refractometer. completely kills ability to brew precisely. Behmor is better although I haven't conducted rigorous tests like I did on the Technivorm. Also the CD, which has better looks and my wife bought for me does not have insulated carafe and no pause switch to steep. Also the water bar is chrome plated not stainless as is claimed it seems. Also for sale if anyone is interested (along with the HotTop).

Not sure why you'd want the connected brewer because well, stale coffee grounds? Or notification that the brewing is over? Really wasn't an important issue to me, but maybe for others I suppose. Can't go wrong really with this as a drip brewer.

TD
I remembered you not liking your technivorm, but forgot that you replaced it with a brazen.

I don't see a whole lot of advantage of the connected brewer over the brazen. Controlling it with an app is a neat gizmo, i suppose, but that doesn't necessarily excite me unless it offers more flexibility. than the brazen. AFAICT, they're the exact same brewing hardware other than the controls.
@TallDan pretty much what @TrickyDick said. The Behmor (regular I don't see the need for wifi) is my coffee pot at work and I love it. I have the temperature set to 202 and pre soak for 1:30. I grind the beans when I leave the house each morning and make the coffee at work for myself and a very thankful coworker. I like that it heats the entire amount of water and then brews. I use the screen basket and preheat the carafe prior to brewing. I pour the hot water from the carafe into my cup to warm it while the coffee is brewing. I have a printer label on the front that says NACHO COFFEE just so there is no confusion as to whose coffee it is. ;)
Thanks both of you for your responses. Looks like i just missed out on the one on coffee geek, if i would have just went for it instead of himming an hawing, i'd have it on the way. Oh well. I might check ebay or something now that I kinda want one. Or maybe not get one right now. I'm out of the habit of using the technivorm anyway. I've been using the chemex on weekdays and Miss Silvia on weekends. I use the technivorm during the week when I'm not working from home, but that really hasn't been happening much lately. Was kind of looking at the behmor as something that would be less work and more consistent than the chemex when I do WFH, but also better than the technivorm when i don't.

Yeah 3 pounds an hour, my thinking if l was going to roast a bunch was 3 or 4 hg going at the same time in bread machines. Hope you share pics and roasts from the bullet. Awesome looking roaster.

Last edited:
how far did you roast it and how long were you times to first crack and time to drop?

I got some fruitiness but not over the top, also got tea like flavor slightly spicy. 8.5min to first crack then maybe a minute or little more until I dropped it.

I don't know quite how far I roast it but I hover over it like a hawk. Not wanting to go to far. I think the first roast was 1306 a loud crack and more 1318 first crack started. Then I pulled it at 1427. It was cold that day. I think it was 9 percent on that gitmo. I have gone back to roasting near full heat until 1c is rolling loud and hard. Today similar about a minute past 1c. I pulled it when I smelled blueberries. Hope that wasn't the flavor leaving.

First batch was same, berries after roast. I got strong berry first day as noted. But since hit or miss and imo an average is Ethiopian is behind it. Like you said tea like thin body for Ethiopian and no choclate. That said tonight I ground some for brother in law and it smelled like blueberries. Thought I would get more but idk. The koke while less berry is ultimately more complex.

Last edited:
Yep. Its official. I have a problem. I entered all my beans into the Roast.World profile database and tabulated my stockpile. Note that aside from 3 pounds of that Columbian and 5 pounds of Decaf I just bought, I haven't bought any green coffee since July 2017 (15 pound order of Kenya Nyeri Gathaithi AB - what was I thinking!). I have nearly 42 KILOS of green coffee as old as 2015! I still have some of that Crown Jewel coffee that Jammin scored for us, and a bunch of EYC Janbar, and a whole lot of other really great coffee, which has probably faded quite a bit by now....
When I've got beans I want to get rid of I usually roast a bunch and just give it away. I tell people to have low expectations because I was experimenting. Maybe do that with some of yours, bring it to work, give it to friends, etc.

I will certainly post some pictures @applescrap! The anxiety is going to kill me!!! LoL! I know there is going to be a learning curve ahead of me, and I will need to keep my expectations a little on the low side as far as the quality of the roasts are concerned, compared to what I can do with my frankenroaster. It is a crude looking contraption I made, but holy smoke, it has done some fantastic roasting for me. I did have to replace my heat gun finally...lol....it was 10 years old though! While I am waiting for the bullet to get here, I have been looking for a cart to place it on. Have to be able to move it easily, as the wife is putting her foot down about me roasting indoors, and it will be taking up residency in my Brew shed.

Thanks @TrickyDick. I have applied to the fb users group. Wouldn't have known about it if you didn't suggest it!!!
Biggest issue I've had is in hearing 1C, because it is so well insulated compared to the Hottop. Also, I am not a fan of the RoastWorld program, since I have installed the new IR sensor I am forced to use it instead of Artisan. You may fare better. Getting a big peak on the initial ROR seems helpful in being able to hear 1C, and not using old beans.... Some have fashioned stethescopes or used silicone tube connected to trier port (the latter works much better IMHO). Its still a struggle for me. Lots of very experienced roasters on the FB page.
TD

So, i looked yesterday at ebay and found a behmor brewer listed as new, but missing the carafe for $100 shipped. Today the price was reduced to $90 and I couldn't resist. Given that the carafe gets bad marks for insulation anyway, i'll look for another one that fits. Worst case, i order one from behmor. After the discussion about the afterburner in the roaster, it looks like i need to order one of those anyway.

I figured I would share this here although I know most if not all of you may have no interest, but maybe you know someone who would be interested. I am selling my old air roaster, it's a Fresh Roast SR500. The roaster works great, I simply upgraded to the Behmor 1600+ b/c I wanted to be able to roast larger batches. I have posted it in the "For Sale" section here on HBT.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...500-coffee-roaster-canandaigua-ny-110.663599/

Been hearing some folks talk about roasting and wanting to raise the peak ROR point (shortly after charging) without increasing their preheat temperature because if they do that, they say yellowing time comes too soon and coffee turns out unsweet. I don’t get this. I thought that nothing was happening besides drying during this time. No? Thoughts? How would you plan a roast profile for a highly dense bean in order to promote sweetness in the cup with regard to a light roast and approach to the 1C onset and beyond? It seems in the year I’ve been roasting on the bullet and even before that I still have a difficult time trying to figure this all out. I tend to prefer Kenyan, and Ethiopian (especially natural processed) and occasionally some Central and south American beans. I like the sweet and fruit flavors in the African beans, and the sweet and often chocolate flavors in the American beans. A bit or tartness also from the African beans as well. Maybe I need to reread my Scott Rao book. I also bought the Hoos? Book but it seems mostly abstract to me.

Drying phase is a misnomer & more appropriately named yellowing phase. The largest percentage of moisture loss is concentrated at the onset of first crack.
Most high density beans are also washed and have a decent moisture content. Since moisture is excellent conductor of heat & a dense bean structure amplifies this I charge hot with a low fan. Conductive heat is a great match for this type of coffee. I aim to have achieve yellowing in under 5min and generally at least 4.

Been hearing some folks talk about roasting and wanting to raise the peak ROR point (shortly after charging) without increasing their preheat temperature because if they do that, they say yellowing time comes too soon and coffee turns out unsweet. I don’t get this. I thought that nothing was happening besides drying during this time. No? Thoughts? How would you plan a roast profile for a highly dense bean in order to promote sweetness in the cup with regard to a light roast and approach to the 1C onset and beyond? It seems in the year I’ve been roasting on the bullet and even before that I still have a difficult time trying to figure this all out. I tend to prefer Kenyan, and Ethiopian (especially natural processed) and occasionally some Central and south American beans. I like the sweet and fruit flavors in the African beans, and the sweet and often chocolate flavors in the American beans.

A bit or tartness also from the African beans as well. Maybe I need to reread my Scott Rao book. I also bought the Hoos? Book but it seems mostly abstract to me.
Great questions and you hit the nail on the head, it's difficult no doubt. The green to yellow phase and even beyond is what it's all about. As Jammin said the bean density along with moisture content play a role in drying and beyond. The bean is more dense so it is conducting more heat, but the moisture from the center is evaporating at the same time protecting it.

So the bean could be absorbing a lot more heat on the outside then in the center. The bean is essentially cooling itself from the middle out at the same time absorbing more heat.

Conversely go into development with to little water content and tipping and other problems occur. Developing the roast with consideration to how it is drying seems at least theoretically ideal. It has been so cold here that I have been just roasting full temp and fan offsetting the cold. In the summer this might be less relevant. Note I have not been preheating my roaster. That said I am guessing a very warm roaster and to much heat too quick with a light Ethiopian natural roast will leave some green flavor. I am sensitive to it. Ultimately the flavor will help drive your drying ideas. Was there green or maybe some scorching yet not full light development, etc? My 2 cents.

Back