☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^i have a second one i use for cinnamon roll and pizza dough. In college I used to buy 50 pound bulk bags of flour and make bread. Now I only use it for dough, but man I would appreciate some tips on bread making in it, because all the bread I made sucked. On the topic of quantity, I wish I would have bought 20 pounds when those Ethiopians went on sale.

Everything I make in there is great. Maybe I'm just lucky. There's a breadmaking thread here on HBT, as you probably know. That's the place for technique. However, I doubt they would be fond of making bread with a machine :)

Here's the recipe I use all the time. Jo's Rosemary Bread

BTW, Sweet Marias has a flat rate $8.99 for shipping under 20#. I think it's a temporary deal, so best to get it while you can. Load up!

sm.jpg

Maybe sometime a few of us can split a coffeeshrub order? It's Sweet Maria's sister site and features some really great coffees, just in a lot larger quantities. The price/lb is usually pretty good though.
http://www.coffeeshrub.com/shrub/content/green-coffee-list

Yea, prices are $1 - $1.50 less per pound. Not sure that would make up for the dbl shipping.

I was fantasizing about getting a 100# bag of beans. Wow.

Yea, prices are $1 - $1.50 less per pound. Not sure that would make up for the dbl shipping.

I was fantasizing about getting a 100# bag of beans. Wow.

I think USPS envelops are just under $7 and they hold a solid 10lbs. Something to think about if we spot something we all want

UPS Ground to my place is $16 bring the price to about $5/lb. so call it $58 shipped for a 10lb bag to each person

Edit: I just checked my recent purchase receipt from the GCBC 5lbs of a nice Ethiopian. It was $40 shipped. I think that's a good reference point

I'd be in for a split on a good coffee. I'd say it would probably have to be something pretty good to be worth the hassle.

EDIT: I also don't think i use as much coffee as most of you here, so 5lb is probably what I'd want. 10lb on any one coffee would last me a while.

Bodhi Leaf prices seem much higher than Marias. Am I missing something?

[edit] just bought 11# of beans (africans and a few central americans) for $71 delivered.

Are you on their mailing list? This weeks deal is sulawesi for 3.75 a pound. They only charge like 6 dollars for 5pound usps. So 25 for 5 pounds shipped quick. I have really liked the coffee they send me too, just my experience.

Thanks for that nice recipe.

Edit sorry that deal ended friday. Went to buy some. Oh well hope next week its something good.

View attachment 1484433902663.jpg

Are you on their mailing list? This weeks deal is sulawesi for 3.75 a pound. They only charge like 6 dollars for 5pound usps. So 25 for 5 pounds shipped quick. I have really liked the coffee they send me too, just my experience.

Thanks for that nice recipe.

Edit sorry that deal ended friday. Went to buy some. Oh well hope next week its something good.

I saw lot of $8.50/# beans. For something amazing, that's one thing, but a lot of their beans were there.

I saw lot of $8.50/# beans. For something amazing, that's one thing, but a lot of their beans were there.

I've noticed that with Burmans too - lots of beans in the 7s and 8s. I used the think SMs was a more expensive supplier but they are looking mighty afordable these days.

UPS Ground to my place is $16 bring the price to about $5/lb. so call it $58 shipped for a 10lb bag to each person

Edit: I just checked my recent purchase receipt from the GCBC 5lbs of a nice Ethiopian. It was $40 shipped. I think that's a good reference point

What coffee is being considered?

I would go for 5lb of this one,
http://www.coffeeshrub.com/shrub/coffee/ethiopia-dry-process-yirg-buufata-konga-0

or this
http://www.coffeeshrub.com/shrub/coffee/kenya-nyeri-ichuga-aa

I would be in for a buy, 5# would be my sweet spot but I could be talked into 10# if that gets things moving.

Would be interesting to compare roast results with others using the same bean.

I would be in for 5# as well. Just started roasting so I don't know much about different beans. So whatever everyone thinks is good . . .

I could probably be talked into 10# if it helps out.

I think USPS envelops are just under $7 and they hold a solid 10lbs. Something to think about if we spot something we all want

I just got a 5lb bag off of ebay from Bodhi and it came in a USPS flat rate padded envelope. Unfortunately I do not think you are getting much more in there. You might have to go for a flat rate box but those cost more.

It might be easier to all agree on a couple of selections and each order directly from SM (or whomever) at the same time every couple of months. However it is organized I would be up for trying this out.

I just got a 5lb bag off of ebay from Bodhi and it came in a USPS flat rate padded envelope. Unfortunately I do not think you are getting much more in there. You might have to go for a flat rate box but those cost more.

It might be easier to all agree on a couple of selections and each order directly from SM (or whomever) at the same time every couple of months. However it is organized I would be up for trying this out.

Agreed - the padded envelops max out at 5lbs. I will have to see how much the unpadded hold as I *think* they may be larger.

Also - I have a 1 time free shipping code I can use to make a large order of green coffee from the folks I ordered my new roaster from. They seem to have a decent list of green for a an OK price.
Check it out and see if anything looks interesting
https://millcityroasters.com/product-category/green-coffee/

Their coffee looks nicely priced. On 10pounds of some of those ethipoians its only slightly more than buying 50 pounds bulk from coffee shrub. Ethiopian yirga was 55 for 10 pounds.

Edit...looking over sweetmarias coffee, they are cheaper than bodhileaf when you order 5 to 20 pounds. And same as above the ethiopians come down to 5.50 on 10 pounds and a whopping 5ish per pound on 20 pounds.

^Gheisa coffee always fetches a crazy price for the top rated lots. It is no doubt an unbelievable cup and one that must be tasted to understand. If you want to try it though Id highly recommend ordering from a reliable Pro like Klatch or another name you trust. You can find other Gheisa lots for much less but I'd say they're not the "real deal" if it's not really spendy. Even with the hefty price, the best lots sell out very quick and are often contracted. Since Japan got into the specialty coffee game heavier a few years ago, a lot of these microlots have gone way up in price and several never even make it to the US anymore.

I have tried the Gheisa coffee that sweet marias had a couples years back. I am not sure if I would pay the price to try it again, but it was more interesting than the Hawaiian and Jamaican coffees I have paid premium prices for.

If you want some spendy coffee take a look what people are willing to pay here.
http://auction.stoneworks.com/PA2016/final_results.php

I have tried the Gheisa coffee that sweet marias had a couples years back. I am not sure if I would pay the price to try it again, but it was more interesting than the Hawaiian and Jamaican coffees I have paid premium prices for.

If you want some spendy coffee take a look what people are willing to pay here.
http://auction.stoneworks.com/PA2016/final_results.php

Thanks! Pretty cool. Didn't know that auction existed.

Jammin, get on it. HBT needs the best. If offered again, I'll take 1 pound of the Elida Geisha Green Tip Natural @ $136 per pound. :)

Not sure if that price $136 includes freight.

I believe if you get on the list of bidders they will send samples out the coffee ahead of auction for a fee.

Now my curiosity is peaked. I wonder if someone would pay, I don't know $300 a pound for some of that stuff roasted.

I've paid $100s for a piece of shushi in japan (not my money). I lived carte blanche while traveling (in fact, TOLD it was carte blanche, go for it!). It can be insane the money. The places that are buying these beans know the people that are buying don't care. I didn't.

I've had Geisha and it's good. But I'd never pay 4 to 8x the price for slightly better coffee. When I do have it ill leave it to the pros to roast.

One time LA Colombe had a geisha for like 24$/12oz. I was new to coffee but was with a pro roaster who kept saying he couldn't believe how cheap it was. Wish I'd bought some,but the sample I tried was very good. Quite floral and sweet.

I should probably clarify. When I said "I had a Geisha", I actually meant "I had a Gesha".

There's actually a bigger difference than you may imagine. :)

I should probably clarify. When I said "I had a Geisha", I actually meant "I had a Gesha".

There's actually a bigger difference than you may imagine. :)

Haha, I read it the wrong way the first time.

I read (and LOVED) memoirs of a geisha. What a fine memory. Odd, but I can remember finishing that book late late at night in my last house. Had to be before 2001.

My new thermometer & thermocouples came in lastnight so i updated the configuration of the HG/BM & ran a 1lb roast. Total roast time was 14min with 1C at about 12:00. I'll push it a little faster next time but the development looks good. I had to brew a cup in the Awropress right away:). Ok so far

211w1uv.jpg

Probes from the inside view
2mocfg7.jpg

Ghetto bean cooling - thank goodness it's cold outside!
14me4ie.jpg

Don't remember if we've discussed the metal coffee filters here before or not.

I had a swiss gold filter that I used in my technivorm for years. Switched to paper filters after it was showing some noticeable wear. Looking at chemex filters online, i now see a stainless steel filter designed for it. It's a little interesting to me since the chemex filters are so thick, it seems like it would be a pretty big difference in what is brewed. I'm tempted to give it a shot, but the price is a bit steep. (more than the chemex itself costs!)

Thoughts from this group on the metal filters?

I know someone who has a metal Chemex,maybe made by Able. He said he noticed a difference but hadn't gotten to into it yet

I stopped by Coava in Portland a couple months ago and they made my pour over with the able filter. Coava are the dudes that invented Able filters fwiw. I chatted with the barista about it briefly and he said he prefers it for dry processsd coffee mostly and tends to like paper better for washed. If it wasn't so damn expensive I'd get one to mess with as I really like using my Chemex

I've had the Able Disc for my Aeropress for a few years now but haven't used it in a loonng time. Paper is too easy. I do like it though

Imma mix it up a bit here and talk about feelings. You know...like, the impact on caffeine on one's mind.

I thoroughly enjoy two things (like I'd assume most of you do): Coffee and alcohol. I drink coffee until about 3:30 PM each day (always have a cup at 3:00, otherwise I'm worthless in the evenings). Then around 6:30 PM I switch to whatever I'm feeling - lately it's been wine.

I'm a naturally anxious person, and the coffee definitely doesn't help calm my anxiety, but I tend to really enjoy chilling a bit with a glass of beer or wine each night - helps with the anxiety.

This makes me think - mixing the two (coffee and alcohol) are kind of like mixing uppers and downers in a way. Wonder if it can be bad for the body?

Anyone else have any thoughts about it? Experience?

I got a kick out of this. In the words of my rough staton island friend (gotta imagine his deep chested ny growl) "no what we need to do is drink more coffee, then argue about the coffee, then drink more coffee."

Back