☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For some reason I think we are not talking about coffee. I feel the same way about Titleist golf clubs and am I the only person who the song Faithfully by Journey reminds them of golf. I dunno. What if he tells him how he feels about his grinder and things get awkward. And now there's jealousy issues. Side note...I love the bags and labels for the Christmas Blend Harbortown.

Merry chrisstmas eve. Roasted the five pounds of burundi for Christmas presents. It was good to roast 4 batches in a row I think. Also I figured out a hands-free option which also helps with consistency and time. I thought i was under roasting and it seems turning the heat down before the crack and during it really hurts the crack. Stalls it a little, (maybe exacerbated by the cold), weakens the crack, and also incomplete cracks. So I went hands-free and decided to not turn the heat down at all till it was done. First crack at 10 min on the next three batches exactly. The first I pulled at about a minute and 30, minute and 40, felt like it was good, but I wanted to try darker and to hear second crack for crying out loud. Well at two minutes the next one went into second crack and it was full steam ahead. It was snapping and cracking as I put it in colander to cool. It also chipped up a little as I blew it to cool it. The next one I stopped just before 2 minutes and second crack. Interesting to me how close second crack and where I like it done meet. Curiously they all look pretty similar in color. The Kenyan I roasted for my friend came out really light. As I was turning the heat down during first crack and I'm not sure it completely cracked. It expresses wild flavors in the cup. My friend says it's his favorite. It is the Kenyan on Steve's favorites at Bodhi leaf. The Ethiopian on Steve's favorites is the best coffee I've had hands down. Beautiful flavors of berry and Jam. It's also the most expensive coffee that I've ever bought from them. Anyways best wishes and happy holidays. Ps we wrapped them in a paper sack from Michaels with a little Santa belt sticker.

View attachment 1482598750001.jpg

Thanks for posting Apple that looks like your really getting the hang of your setup.

I got my parents a Cuisinart burr grinder to replace their 25 year old blade grinder. They were super excited for it but I wasnt sure how good it would be.

It's fantastic. For drip and press, I can't imagine a better automatic option for the money ($40 after bed bath coupon). We made a pot of coffee and it's by far the best I've ever had in their pot simply because of the uniform grind. It handled a press grind very well too and produced a great cup.

Just more proof that sometimes the best upgrade to a system can be a grinder.

Someone sent me some cervet poop coffee.

cervet-coffee-67875.jpg

I had a conversation with my sister once about kopi luwak coffee and was thinking about sending her some to try, but I figure I should try it first. The coffee sat for a couple months because I could not bring myself to try it. If my wife did not unknowingly make the coffee when we were out of fresh roast coffee it might still be in the cupboard. The civet processing is probable no worst then some of the processing tanks wet coffee go through.

Bodhi leaf sale is ethiopian! That Ethiopian that I said was the best coffee I've had is down from 853 to 680 .

I was sorting through finances yesterday, because I try to keep on top of where we're spending money. I kept coming across these cafes that I've never been to. $2 here, $2 there. Hmmm.

Then I realize: about half the week I work from home which means I usually am still asleep when my wife leaves for work. And since I pretty much make all the coffee at home, she apparently buys it whenever I'm not awake to make it.

I guess I'm going to need to get up earlier, because I don't see her taking the time to make it. I hate to see money spent on bad coffee!

I was sorting through finances yesterday, because I try to keep on top of where we're spending money. I kept coming across these cafes that I've never been to. $2 here, $2 there. Hmmm.

Then I realize: about half the week I work from home which means I usually am still asleep when my wife leaves for work. And since I pretty much make all the coffee at home, she apparently buys it whenever I'm not awake to make it.

I guess I'm going to need to get up earlier, because I don't see her taking the time to make it. I hate to see money spent on bad coffee!

Maybe get a maker with a clock? Load it at night, coffee is ready when she gets to the kitchen. Mine does that.

Maybe get a maker with a clock? Load it at night, coffee is ready when she gets to the kitchen. Mine does that.

Yeahhhhh, we've got that. I'd like to think she doesn't want to use it because it just doesn't compare to my Barista skills on the Chemex.

And that's what I'll continue thinking. Even though I know it's not correct.

Yeahhhhh, we've got that. I'd like to think she doesn't want to use it because it just doesn't compare to my Barista skills on the Chemex.

And that's what I'll continue thinking. Even though I know it's not correct.

I've got a drip maker that simulates a pourover. It times the water addiitons just so. I don't think I can do it any better by hand. It's an OXO 9-cup. It does have the clock.

My daughter is a coffee drinker. Was nice this morning waking up to the sound of the grinder going. She's had the training :)

You guys are probably all purists here, but if you like a bit of the holiday in your coffee, add 1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spices to your ground coffee, then make as usual (or add nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon, ground).

[edit] that was how much spice I put on about 50g of coffee.

You guys are probably all purists here, but if you like a bit of the holiday in your coffee, add 1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spices to your ground coffee, then make as usual (or add nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon, ground).

Yeah, I did that a few years ago...at least before I started roasting actually.

I was telling someone about it just a few weeks ago - told him it was my "Poor Man's Fall Blend". Turns out, he's been doing that same thing for 40 years, and he considers himself a poor man. Whoops.

I've see where they Gaggia Classic is shipped set at about 13-14 bar so that it works with the pods, apparently. I found a few guides on how to reduce it to about 9-10 bar, which I've decided to do.

Anyone have any experience with this? I'd really like to hook up a gauge to my portafilter so I can actually measure my pressure before/after to get it right, but I kinda just want to do it and see what happens.

Here I thought you were talking holiday "cheer"

My wife spends a whole lot more than that at starbucks alone. Even worse, she bought herself an electric kettle to keep in her office at work, but apparently never uses it. :confused:

I've got a drip maker that simulates a pourover. It times the water addiitons just so. I don't think I can do it any better by hand. It's an OXO 9-cup. It does have the clock.

My daughter is a coffee drinker. Was nice this morning waking up to the sound of the grinder going. She's had the training :)

Having a daughter i was touched by this. Albeit at 3, i have a long way to go. Preciate the tip, that brewer sounds good.

Apparently never registered there the last time i bought via gcbc, so i paypaled again without registering and hope it works out again. In the meantime, awaiting approval for my account there.

I've tried to register a few times but no luck. I don't know if they aren't approving it or not seeing it but oh well. I'd like to try that Ethiopian but I have a ton of beans right now

Ugh, in laws for new years. Brought a bunch of coffee, they are like meh. They like umm "dark roast" (right) and the keurig. So i make a keurig just so they could compare. It smells like toxic chemicals and just awful. Smells like they just threw the cheapest ripe and unripe beans on the ground and let them mold and process on the ground and in the rain. And then scooped it up rat **** and all and ground it. Thats what it smells and tastes like to me. Then my f.i.l. says oh this was the best. Man help me before i blow a gasket.

I've tried to register a few times but no luck. I don't know if they aren't approving it or not seeing it but oh well. I'd like to try that Ethiopian but I have a ton of beans right now

Last time i ordered just by sending paypal to the seller without being registered and it wasn't a problem. Which is what i'm trying again since mine isn't approved either.

Ugh, in laws for new years. Brought a bunch of coffee, they are like meh. They like umm "dark roast" (right) and the keurig. So i make a keurig just so they could compare. It smells like toxic chemicals and just awful. Smells like they just threw the cheapest ripe and unripe beans on the ground and let them mold and process on the ground and in the rain. And then scooped it up rat **** and all and ground it. Thats what it smells and tastes like to me. Then my f.i.l. says oh this was the best. Man help me before i blow a gasket.

Lol! I know I know. What bothers me is when people tell me they are a "coffee enthusiast"and when I ask them their favorite coffee they say Green Mountain. Or dunkin.

Happy New Year everyone. My mom gave me the dubious DeLonghi ec155 for Christmas. She also gave me a bag of Trader Joe's shade-grown espresso grind. So of course, i get right to work. I start with the trader joes and follow the directions from delonghi. Tamping lightly two scoops blah blah blah. Start the machine and I can tell right away it's choked. I knew this from choking the Keurig machine, by reusing cups with tin foil on top. Figured the pressure wasn't strong enough, I later found out it's the pump or well the pressure and the pump.

So I tried using less coffee and still not flowing right. I concluded it must be the first one clogged it somehow. So I took apart the portafilter, cleaned it, and checked it. Then attempted to remove the boiler Outlet screen, but I couldn't get that screw out. I also had trouble finding a screwdriver that would work. At the end of the night, I decided to try some of my own coffee from the flat blade grinder. I was beginning to understand that the grind was too fine. Sure enough a watery non-offensive shot was produced. Was going to post on here seeking help, but was tired and went to bed.

The next day i got the boiler Outlet off and it was clean. And started looking things up. Found out about pressurized and depressurized portafilters for espresso machines. Tried to non pressurized machine with the Trader Joe's Coffee and the results weren't much better. Like a mad scientist i have been at work making shots and trying to understand this machine. Ultimately have come accept imo that this machine is basically average at best and that pressurized filters require a coarser grind but still fine tamped and that is about the best it will do. I figure if I bought a grinder and a non pressurized filter it's still going to struggle because it lacks the power of a more expensive higher-quality machine. Either way when I upgrade it will be the grinder first because that will make coffee for both this machine and more expensive one.

Ok end of review/rant/story. I was really hoping someone here has any thoughts on using this machine better. If so would appreciate it much. I swear my old cheap steam machine worked better.

On Dunkin today. Used up last bit of homeroast yesterday (10# - went through that quickly with kids home for holiday).

This DD is pretty frigging bitter / burnt. Kinda nasty. I remember liking DD at one time.

Tomorrow I'll be serving up the civet poop. I'll take pics and post results :)

Happy New Year everyone. My mom gave me the dubious DeLonghi ec155 for Christmas.

I was at my favorite little coffee place (9th Bar Coffee in Dunedin) and asked about home espresso makers. They told me don't bother, that none of them work well, and the entry level for a good one would be $$ thousands.

Disappointing if true. I love their Americano, which is shots of espresso in hot water. Creamy perfection. I wanted to duplicate at home.

I'm pretty sure we've talked about this before, but 9th Bar in Dunedin is freaking fantastic. The owner is so passionate about his coffee, it's almost a shame that the bar is tucked away in somewhat-sleepy-Dunedin (I loved Dunedin).

ANYWAYS....The espresso thing is tough. I've made some absolutely incredible shots through my Gaggia Classic, but have also made some pretty poor ones too.

The thing is, I use it for a fairly simple purpose: To get my caffeine fix and drink good coffee without having to drink a 12 or 16 oz cup. In the afternoons is when I love to pull a double shot, rather than drink a full cup. Especially in the summer.

But what I've learned time and again is bad coffee in, bad espresso out. I've put some roasts in that were simply "Okay" as a pour-over cup, but when I pull them on the Gaggia, they are exposed for what they are: really bad roasts/bad coffee. Espresso machines don't really hide any flaws of your roast.

I guess you could say a French Pressed cup is like a Stout, whereas a Shot of Espresso is a Lager. You can hide a lot of flaws in a Stout, but not so many in a Lager.

I'm pretty sure we've talked about this before, but 9th Bar in Dunedin is freaking fantastic. The owner is so passionate about his coffee, it's almost a shame that the bar is tucked away in somewhat-sleepy-Dunedin (I loved Dunedin).

ANYWAYS....The espresso thing is tough. I've made some absolutely incredible shots through my Gaggia Classic, but have also made some pretty poor ones too.

The thing is, I use it for a fairly simple purpose: To get my caffeine fix and drink good coffee without having to drink a 12 or 16 oz cup. In the afternoons is when I love to pull a double shot, rather than drink a full cup. Especially in the summer.

But what I've learned time and again is bad coffee in, bad espresso out. I've put some roasts in that were simply "Okay" as a pour-over cup, but when I pull them on the Gaggia, they are exposed for what they are: really bad roasts/bad coffee. Espresso machines don't really hide any flaws of your roast.

I guess you could say a French Pressed cup is like a Stout, whereas a Shot of Espresso is a Lager. You can hide a lot of flaws in a Stout, but not so many in a Lager.

Yea, maybe that was here. I know it had come up somewhere before. BTW, they've switched their roaster from Buddy Brew to Perc coffee or some similar named brand.

If you get back to Dunedin, there are 2 or 3 new breweries opening there. Place is out of control. Wife and I have discussed downsizing in the future and getting a condo or small place there. It's only 10 minutes from my house now, but I'd love to be able to stumble home by foot from the Dunedin pubs. Plus, I'm a daily biker, and the Pinellas trail runs right through there. Perfect.

I definitely agree that espresso amplifies everything about the coffee. I've owned and worked on about every machine you can imagine. At the pinnacle I had a KvDW Speedster which was an absolute dream to work on. That combined with my Compak K10 it was pretty easy to pull killer shots at will.

I gave it all up though because I missed having a big warm mug off coffee to drink on. The thought has crossed my mind to get another machine. A really nice vintage aurora brugnetti popped up for sale I've been eye balling. Same guy has a cool Faema Lambro that is equally appealing.

I was at my favorite little coffee place (9th Bar Coffee in Dunedin) and asked about home espresso makers. They told me don't bother, that none of them work well, and the entry level for a good one would be $$ thousands.

Disappointing if true. I love their Americano, which is shots of espresso in hot water. Creamy perfection. I wanted to duplicate at home.

Although not great, I've enjoyed my shots quite a bit. Home roast coffee, yummy. I think these machines are $94 on Amazon Prime. If it only goes up from here there's hope. I like cappuccinos.

View attachment 1483486615859.jpg

Although not great, I've enjoyed my shots quite a bit. Home roast coffee, yummy. I think these machines are $94 on Amazon Prime. If it only goes up from here there's hope. I like cappuccinos.

Ooof, I hate to be a Debbie downer but that milk looks awful. The rabbit hole is too deep for me to jump into on this one

Espresso is not a poor mans game there are no cheap tricks to bridge the gap to quality/expensive equipment

Anyone roast Congo beans before? Any roasting advice. I tried a somewhat slower roast and pulled it about 15 secs after 1C ended and it's a little flat.

Likely going to try a quick roast, but if anyone has any thoughts I'm all ears.

Anyone roast Congo beans before? Any roasting advice. I tried a somewhat slower roast and pulled it about 15 secs after 1C ended and it's a little flat.

Likely going to try a quick roast, but if anyone has any thoughts I'm all ears.

I have had fantastic results with Sweet Maria's Congo beans using heat gun/dog bowl. Possibly my favorite coffee I have roasted, although I haven't been at it long. I can't remember the profile off the top of my head, but typical for me is FC at 10 minutes/12:30 end of roast.

Latest posts

Back