☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s 4.5% development and 11.8% weight loss. I would bet they are still greenish but we’ll see.

Yep 30 seconds after 1c is normally cutting it close but ten plus minutes to get to 1c on .22 pounds, it seems that would develop the center, no?
That’s 4.5% development and 11.8% weight loss. I would bet they are still greenish but we’ll see.

Yep 30 seconds after 1c is normally cutting it close but ten plus minutes to get to 1c on .22 pounds, it seems that would develop the center, no?
That was what I thought. I’ve never had a bean take so long to get to first crack. The temp only got up to 256 F though and I would normally expect it to get to 300 by the 10 minute mark. I’ll try it out tomorrow and report back.

So....to report in on the cold brew experiment, the outcome was decent. The 2.4 pounds of coffee used with 4 gallons water produced a solid cup, but it should only be used for cold coffee and you might be able to add a few ice cubes. I wouldn't add hot water to it though if you wanted a hot cup. I am in favor of stronger dosing for kegging, and flavor additions to beer, or if you just like a stiff shot of a pick me up.

Update, the oily sidamo was shat, just my opinion. I couldnt drink it unless I was desperate. Good daisy, char, carbon, and cheap coffee, ugh. I get it though, if they roasted it lighter I would like it and you all would like it, but the general pop...not so much I suspect.

I think a lot of people like creamer not coffee. If starbucks was so good then why dont many drink it black, I wonder.

When I go to Starbucks, the counter help always looks at me funny when I order a coffee and say no to room for cream. I'm probably their most boring customer, lol.

When I go to Starbucks, the counter help always looks at me funny when I order a coffee and say no to room for cream. I'm probably their most boring customer, lol.
That's exactly how I order mine too. Though I don't think I've had Starbucks since @jammin grabbed my neck when I peeked in the rabbit hole. ;)

That's exactly how I order mine too. Though I don't think I've had Starbucks since @jammin grabbed my neck when I peeked in the rabbit hole. ;)

I go there much less, now that I've also gone down the rabbit hole and roast coffee I enjoy at home.

Unfortunately, some of my clients insist on meeting at Starbucks. If I can get them to go to a local shop I try to steer them to Dunn Bros. (good local chain), or at least Caribou. But, they're paying for the meeting, so I go where they want to go. :)

Well I couldn’t wait until tomorrow. I tried the Gesha in a pour over and it’s really hard to explain. It smells very floral. The flavor is floral and light. It’s similar to tea. I like it a lot. It has no acidity or acrid flavor. The closest thing I can come up with for comparison and it might not make sense would be if you considered a bright acidic coffee to be the IPA of coffees and an acrid dark roast as the stout of coffees then this is like the Pilsner of coffees.

Roasted the banko today. Cold wind so went full heat and fan straight through. Helped stretch 1c a little too. Went about a minute past 1c iirc and started smelling like berries right as I pulled it. Here it is w and w out flash. I think it will be the usual. I would rather pull it early than late!
20191020_104433.jpeg
20191020_104452.jpeg
20191020_104458.jpeg

Here I go again thinking about finding a place at home for a ridiculous commercial espresso machine...
Every countertop in my kitchen has cabinets over it so filling one is my biggest hurtle. I could go hard plumb, but those are taller.....and every countertop has cabinets over it. It's a vicious cycle.

I have been watching the season 2 mill city roaster school vids. Excellent stuff and I saw a 50 min video on ethiopian coffee that I started and didnt finish. Love those guys and what they are doing. Man that 6kg for 5k was no brainer. Maybe next time. If you see Joe M. Maxstout please let him know how much I like the videos, guess I could just reach out to him.

This weeks bl sale is a 12 dollar a pound columbian high country pink bourbon at 25 percent off. It has my curiosity and attention.

I had got that bl coffee before. For the price, I was not impressed with the flavor outcome of any of the various ways I roasted it. I tried numerous ways to bring it out, and finally settled on it is just an okay coffee. Mild chocolate, kind of like a hot cocoa, and muted fruit loops. YMMV though!

Let us know how that goes!!! LoL!!
Well, that was close.

Saw an ad for a 2 group La Marzocco Linea. Widely considered for a long time to be the benchmark for espresso machines, and still a highly regarded machine today. You can buy one new right now for $10k. Claimed to be in working condition, needing cleanup. Two pictures of it confirmed that it at least needed some TLC.

00t0t_ftHhFifp1E_600x450.jpg

00k0k_i8zsPi6OyDH_1200x900.jpg

(not sure how long the pics will work, the ad has been removed)

Asking price... $750! Even older used ones still sell for a few times that. I emailed and asked about age, said I was interested and asked when i could come see it. This morning, he emailed back and said that I could come by today (which was great, i have today and tomorrow off) and gave his phone number. I called, found out that he works for a bank, and the bank got it from a property that they foreclosed on, was working when removed, but they had no desire to test it. Sounded like they had no idea what it was worth, but just wanted some money for it.

I told him that I was on my way.

A few minutes later he called back. Someone else had sold it this morning. So close.

A 2 group monster like that is absurd for home use. Having it in the kitchen would take some remodeling, so it probably would have lived in the laundry/mud room where I have the power and plumbing. That would be short term while I decided if I really wanted to keep it or not. I would have loved to get that machine, clean it up, get some experience on it, and likely be able to turn it around for a profit.

Probably a blessing in disguise though.

Thanks for the review. I am going to bail. I havent been drinking much coffee lately, but I am drinking the banko. Its nice as always. No fruit in that roast I posted yet, or at least somewhat restrained or im stuffed up. Probably took it a pinch far. I need a good light roast come to think of it. Sweet, nutty maybe, I guess some of you would call it a cupping roast. Almost all my roasts are near there I think. But yeah, solid as always. Was a sweet deal, thanks again jammin.
I had got that bl coffee before. For the price, I was not impressed with the flavor outcome of any of the various ways I roasted it. I tried numerous ways to bring it out, and finally settled on it is just an okay coffee. Mild chocolate, kind of like a hot cocoa, and muted fruit loops. YMMV though!

Well, that was close.

Saw an ad for a 2 group La Marzocco Linea. Widely considered for a long time to be the benchmark for espresso machines, and still a highly regarded machine today. You can buy one new right now for $10k. Claimed to be in working condition, needing cleanup. Two pictures of it confirmed that it at least needed some TLC.

Asking price... $750! Even older used ones still sell for a few times that. I emailed and asked about age, said I was interested and asked when i could come see it. This morning, he emailed back and said that I could come by today (which was great, i have today and tomorrow off) and gave his phone number. I called, found out that he works for a bank, and the bank got it from a property that they foreclosed on, was working when removed, but they had no desire to test it. Sounded like they had no idea what it was worth, but just wanted some money for it.

A few minutes later he called back. Someone else had sold it this morning. So close.

A 2 group monster like that is absurd for home use. Having it in the kitchen would take some remodeling, so it probably would have lived in the laundry/mud room where I have the power and plumbing. That would be short term while I decided if I really wanted to keep it or not. I would have loved to get that machine, clean it up, get some experience on it, and likely be able to turn it around for a profit.

I almost bought a house with that type of situation (bigger than I needed, but it was a good deal type-of-thing). I think some of us are constantly looking for good deals and when they come along it's tough to not pull the trigger but... Sometimes it's for the best that it doesn't work out.

And since I'll never get a unit like that, I hope you do so I can live vicariously through you ;)

Dang, 750, dang. Yeah maybe blessing in disguise.
Well, that was close.

Having a cup of the single origin. I’m heading to the airport, I don’t usually have coffee at 3 am.....So I get blueberry for sure and there is very low to no acidity. The aroma is very familiar too. I am positive that this is an Ethiopian, final answer.

Having a cup of the single origin. I’m heading to the airport, I don’t usually have coffee at 3 am.....So I get blueberry for sure and there is very low to no acidity. The aroma is very familiar too. I am positive that this is an Ethiopian, final answer.

Wrong thread, but I’ll give it to you since it was 3a. [emoji16]

It’s clearly and Ethiopian. I roasted it a bit dark to reduce the acidity but that bean shines through with the berry. Many here know the bean already. The bag of greens should give you enough product to figure out where you like it best.

I almost bought a house with that type of situation (bigger than I needed, but it was a good deal type-of-thing). I think some of us are constantly looking for good deals and when they come along it's tough to not pull the trigger but... Sometimes it's for the best that it doesn't work out.

And since I'll never get a unit like that, I hope you do so I can live vicariously through you ;)
It’s like an expensive sports car. Won’t pay the money for a new one, but see the used ones that you know still have a high TCO, but would be just as fun. The low entry cost makes it tempting, but living with it takes some compromises that might not be worth it in the long run.

I have such a car, and even when I get rid of it, I’m sure I’ll still talk about it when car talk comes up. High maintenance cost is offset by DIY, but still makes it a questionable thing to own.

Dang, 750, dang. Yeah maybe blessing in disguise.

Yeah, I would not be second guessing that purchase price right now. I’d easily spend more on getting power and plumbing in a reasonable place at home than what I spent on the machine. I’d probably spend much more fixing and modifying it.

If I consider the cost of building a coffee bar in my basement or laundry room as part of the cost of the machine, a decent de1 is probably cheaper.

Wait....what? You can't post a little tidbit of information like this. Inquiring minds need to know more!

I had contacted a Craigslist seller of a Breville Dual Boiler. Kinda on the fence about buying one used since they’re not really known for reliability/longevity. I threw out a lowball offer anyway, but the seller didn’t want to come down that much. That was a week ago. Last night I got an email with an offer that is close enough. Unless something changes last minute (again), I’m going to pick it up this afternoon.

...knew I shouldn’t have posted. Seller of the BDB just emailed me and said they got an offer at their current asking price. $110 more than what I was going to pay. Oh well.

Sorry about the loss of the bdb TD....that is the machine I have and am very p!eased with it!
Every time I look at buying one new, i think that it's enough money that i should just splurge on the Decent. Then I can't manage to pull the trigger on the decent since it's 2-3x the price. [emoji4] Barring some sort of great deal, my purchase is on hold for a while anyway, so maybe i'll get the Decent in January when the new version comes out.

I know there's at least one other Baratza Vario user here. Does anyone have a routine for cleaning them? I've only had the steel burrs in mine for a maximum of 5 months, so I know it was clean then. Generally speaking, it just gets used on weekdays, as i use the HG-1 for espresso on the weekends.

Over the last week it seemed to be running slower than usual, which I assumed was just a difference in the beans. This morning it slowed down significantly, and ultimately stopped. Dumped the beans out of the hopper, removed the upper burr and finely ground coffee was absolutely packed in the chute and the area surrounding the burrs. Got it all cleaned out, ran some rice through, then some beans and it was back to normal.

No clue why that happened, but I'm definitely going to need to keep a closer eye on it, especially if it seems to run slow again.

Last edited:
Every time I look at buying one new, i think that it's enough money that i should just splurge on the Decent. Then I can't manage to pull the trigger on the decent since it's 2-3x the price. [emoji4] Barring some sort of great deal, my purchase is on hold for a while anyway, so maybe i'll get the Decent in January when the new version comes out.

I know there's at least one other Baratza Vario user here. Does anyone have a routine for cleaning them? I've only had the steel burrs in mine for a maximum of 5 months, so I know it was clean then. Generally speaking, it just gets used on weekdays, as i use the HG-1 for espresso on the weekends.

Over the last week it seemed to be running slower than usual, which I assumed was just a difference in the beans. This morning it slowed down significantly, and ultimately stopped. Dumped the beans out of the hopper, removed the upper burr and finely ground coffee was absolutely packed in the chute and the area surrounding the burrs. Got it all cleaned out, ran some rice through, then some beans and it was back to normal.

No clue why that happened, but I'm definitely going to need to keep a closer eye on it, especially if it seems to run slow again.
I have a Vario as does @jammin. Mine got plugged last week so I had to take it apart. Baratza had a good video on what to do, it's on YouTube. Basically just remove both burrs and clean the burrs with a wire brush, as well as the inside of the grinder with a wire brush. When I did this it exposed and loosened a lot of hidden gunk, and actually I had to reassemble and disassemble once more because the first time I ran it after cleaning it, more gunk came loose and choked it up. Point is, it took a couple rounds of cleaning but if you have the canned air people use for cleaning electronics, that would help.

Sounds like you got the bean chute cleaned but yeah, just a matter of sticking your finger in it to loosen up the stuck grinds.

My issue was I was pouring a little too much water into the hopper to combat static. I got a spray bottle and that's helped a bit with the static and not waterboaring the grinder.

At a Cafe, this was the flush button in the bathroom. Have to say, I might have tamped too hard but this was really cool! View attachment 650318
Cool! Where was that?
I have a Vario as does @jammin. Mine got plugged last week so I had to take it apart. Baratza had a good video on what to do, it's on YouTube. Basically just remove both burrs and clean the burrs with a wire brush, as well as the inside of the grinder with a wire brush. When I did this it exposed and loosened a lot of hidden gunk, and actually I had to reassemble and disassemble once more because the first time I ran it after cleaning it, more gunk came loose and choked it up. Point is, it took a couple rounds of cleaning but if you have the canned air people use for cleaning electronics, that would help.

Sounds like you got the bean chute cleaned but yeah, just a matter of sticking your finger in it to loosen up the stuck grinds.

My issue was I was pouring a little too much water into the hopper to combat static. I got a spray bottle and that's helped a bit with the static and not waterboaring the grinder.
I guess I'm just surprised to have that happen. Never had a problem like that with the Rocky despite generally neglecting to clean it. I don't put water on the beans before putting them in there (although i do that with my other grinder) and I don't use flavored or particularly oily beans.

Anyone interested in splitting some of this Honey Processed Ethiopian? No berries mentioned, just a real comfort food sounding type coffee.
CJ1317 - Ethiopia Hafursa Waro “Tej” Process Crown Jewel

Notes:
- 9 minute roast time yielded flavors of "cooked peach, cantaloupe & honey nut Cheerios". Good for espresso.
- High Density. Mostly small screen size of 15/16 with less than avg moisture.
- $137.50/22lbs = $6.25/lb. $7.55 Priority Mail shipping for a total of $38.80 for 5lbs on your doorstep.

(2) 5lb bags to share with the gang :) 2lb kicker if someone wants a small bag. PM me w/shipping addy to get dialed in
- @Inkleg got you!

Last edited:
Anyone interested in splitting some of this Honey Processed Ethiopian? No berries mentioned, just a real comfort food sounding type coffee.
CJ1317 - Ethiopia Hafursa Waro “Tej” Process Crown Jewel

Notes:
- 9 minute roast time yielded flavors of "cooked peach, cantaloupe & honey nut Cheerios". Good for espresso.
- High Density. Mostly small screen size of 15/16 with less than avg moisture.
- $137.50/22lbs = $6.25/lb. $7.55 Priority Mail shipping for a total of $38.80 for 5lbs on your doorstep.

(4) 5lb bags to share with the gang :) 2lb kicker if someone wants a small bag. PM me w/shipping addy to get dialed in
Yes please I’ll take 5.

This morning I decided to do a triple blend in equal amounts and it turned out really nice. It's a blend of Ethiopian, Honduran and El Savador beans. I wasn't sure if it would be too much but it isn't. Nice, smooth and flavorful! Just thought I would share. Cheers!

Back