☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those MCR 500g roasters have gone up a LOT in price but they’ve been refined quite a bit along the way too. At their new price I’d be a lot more tempted to buy American and get a USRC 1lb roaster.
I’m curious though, it sounded like they are making way for a new model. I wonder what kind of features it will include.

Those MCR 500g roasters have gone up a LOT in price but they’ve been refined quite a bit along the way too. At their new price I’d be a lot more tempted to buy American and get a USRC 1lb roaster.
I’m curious though, it sounded like they are making way for a new model. I wonder what kind of features it will include.

At their new price I’d buy an Aillio Bullet instead without hesitation. I’m not exactly their target market though.

Right now I expect to keep my 500g electric a long time. I’m more likely to modify it than get any other roaster.

I looked it up. That 12 pound mill city roaster i posted is 20k. Its going for 5. Im tempted.

Inspired by the discussion, I roasted the hanabongi. I started with 3 minutes on half power and half fan. Looking to get a head start but not tip the scales that much. Did ok. My trier is a quarter cup measure on a stick. With headlamp can actually see in but needs batteries, of course. Tablespoon on stick would be better I wonder.

Anyways full power from 3 min on, and first crack on the pound at 13:27. Usually cracks at 11 on full power. Also i start 1c when 2 go together. There is usually a lone wolf crack 20 to 30 seconds earlier. Well this roast started poppin from the get go. I lowered heat instantly and pulled 42 seconds later. I think less char, but more importantly better development of center without over development of outside, and well over development of inside for the matter. Ill drink some tomorrow and report back. Pic is after 3 min drying.
Screenshot_20191005-115242_Gallery.jpeg
Screenshot_20191005-222237_Clock.jpeg

The past few days I've been drinking the bane-of-my-existence Yemen; today I made it in the Behmor brewer. As I had mentioned before, I roasted this dark because all my light roasts attempts sucked. In the cup it's pretty dang good (for a dark roast). I am struggling to pick out any flavors but it does taste nice. I probably took it a little too far out of frustration, but it's the best roast I have had of it. Going to try dropping it sooner next time to see if I can't get it figured out by the time I run out of it.

Is there another way to roast Geisha?
Yes, on Comedy Central. IDK I just imagine that it will have subtle notes that I will burn out of the beans and it will just taste like any other coffee but I will have paid 3 times more for it. I will take notes and report back.

Geisha is w/o question the most impressive/stunning coffee I’ve tasted in my life. My home roasts of it however have fallen short several times. It’s a tough been to roast. Not super dense, long/wide seem. They take heat in an irregular way. If I’ve learned anything, roast them fast & drop the roast almost as fast as 1C starts.
Roastmasters just posted this year’s Panama Esmeralada Geisha in a Natural & traditional washed form. This is the farm that started it all & put this varietal on the map, won countless awards, turned the industry on its head etc. That said, I imagine that production has increased exponentially & getting the best lot makes a big difference in the cup. I’m still extremely tempted to buy a couple pounds of the washed version. This is the type of coffee that makes me wish I had an ikawa.

Geisha is w/o question the most impressive/stunning coffee I’ve tasted in my life. My home roasts of it however have fallen short several times. It’s a tough been to roast. Not super dense, long/wide seem. They take heat in an irregular way. If I’ve learned anything, roast them fast & drop the roast almost as fast as 1C starts.
Roastmasters just posted this year’s Panama Esmeralada Geisha in a Natural & traditional washed form. This is the farm that started it all & put this varietal on the map, won countless awards, turned the industry on its head etc. That said, I imagine that production has increased exponentially & getting the best lot makes a big difference in the cup. I’m still extremely tempted to buy a couple pounds of the washed version. This is the type of coffee that makes me wish I had an ikawa.
Is that over a 100 a pound? Sounds tasty.

Well the roast that I started with a 3 minute dry is surprisingly slightly undercooked in middle and over on top. Not bad and nice and even, dare I say safe. But I think the full fire roast has more pizzazz. I think I will trade a slight char for yummy maillard carmels and chocolates. I guess the batch size needed to be smaller and I could truck down that road forever, mixing drying times, fan levels, and heat level combined with batch size. Ultimately i feel i dried the outside more than the inside.

I see that Geisha on Roastmasters' site. It's about $26 - $31 per pound depending on washed vs. natural and how much you buy.

It's something I'll probably never buy to roast on my own - just a lot of money for something that could easily be screwed up. Heck, I struggle with peaberries as it is!

I see that Geisha on Roastmasters' site. It's about $26 - $31 per pound depending on washed vs. natural and how much you buy.

It's something I'll probably never buy to roast on my own - just a lot of money for something that could easily be screwed up. Heck, I struggle with peaberries as it is!
I just really want to try a geisha and don’t know of any place in Oklahoma that would offer it. If there was a place it would probably cost as much to buy 1 cup as it would for me to buy 1 pound. Overall it is less than a 5 gallon batch of beer and I have screwed up many of those LOL.

That’s why you buy 5lb. You can find a few different ways to screw it up!

That mill city 12 lb 20k roaster sold. I am so bummed. I should have bought it just for some side business. I dont know anything about these roasters, looks vintage and pretty cool. Hope to score something like this . Would this work with a direct flame on the drum while it spins? The new kind are indirect heated iirc.

I need some help, what cleans roasters well? I was thinking oxy.

Happy Friday y’all. Sniped a few screen shots off Insta of this killer Barth restoration. Check out that ribbon burner!

View attachment 647700 View attachment 647701 View attachment 647702

Last edited:
@applescrap...oxy-clean would work. I use pbw or carafa tabs in a probably more concentrated solution than needed, with a set of cheap bottleneck bristle brushes. Spray a light mist of solution on, let soak for a little bit, hit it with the best sized brush for the area you are cleaning, and do a couple mistings of spring water after to remove any residual...

The behmor instructions suggested using simple green. I used a Clorox wipe and then a wet cloth followed by a dry run.

I’ve heard the same suggestions as listed above work well for roaster cleaning: Simple Green, OxyClean, PBW & Cafiza.

Cafiza & hot water has been my go-to. It’s really satisfying to see how spotless parts come out after a good soak. Never ceases to impress me.

I water boarded my grinder the other day on accident. You know how you can add water to the hopper to reduce static? (if you don't deal with static in the winter, well, I'm jealous). I went to pour in a drop and poured in... More than a drop. She stopped grinding.

Baratza has some excellent videos on line on how to troubleshoot various issues and this was one of them. Took out both burrs, cleaned everything up, and cleaned out the bean chute. Put it back together and it's good as new.

Probably need to clean it more often anyways. Not going to make that water mistake again.

I water boarded my grinder the other day on accident. You know how you can add water to the hopper to reduce static? (if you don't deal with static in the winter, well, I'm jealous). I went to pour in a drop and poured in... More than a drop. She stopped grinding.

Baratza has some excellent videos on line on how to troubleshoot various issues and this was one of them. Took out both burrs, cleaned everything up, and cleaned out the bean chute. Put it back together and it's good as new.

Probably need to clean it more often anyways. Not going to make that water mistake again.
Did it tell you any secrets?

So....last night I started a little experiment. Cold brew on a larger scale. I ground 2.4 pounds of coffee and added 4 gallons of spring water to it, and am going to steep it for a couple days. I am thinking that it might not have enough coffee in it for the water ratio, so to compensate some....I will extend the steep time. Anyone familiar enough with cold brewing to share advice is more than welcome to chime in.... If this is deemed too weak, can I add more coffee into the saturated coffee grounds for corrections?

So....last night I started a little experiment. Cold brew on a larger scale. I ground 2.4 pounds of coffee and added 4 gallons of spring water to it, and am going to steep it for a couple days. I am thinking that it might not have enough coffee in it for the water ratio, so to compensate some....I will extend the steep time. Anyone familiar enough with cold brewing to share advice is more than welcome to chime in.... If this is deemed too weak, can I add more coffee into the saturated coffee grounds for corrections?
I have been doing 160 grams of coffee per gallon, either 24 hours in the fridge or 12 hours on the counter, shaken at least twice in that time. I don't water it down and that is a good strength for me.

No two directions agree, but they average about 300 grams per gallon, then cut with half water. I could never understand why you would brew double strength then water it down. Logically, the more concentrated your brew, the less you will extract from the grounds. Maybe that is the point.

You are at 272 grams per gallon. I can't imagine that not being strong enough for you at full strength. My guess is you have the opportunity to experiment with how much you want to cut it with water.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, no not that large but have made enough to offer that yes, it takes a massive amount of coffee and is supposed to be diluted. I have always wondered about brewing it weaker and not diluting, but weak cold brew isnt that good. I think 2 or 3 days is max then off grinds. Once off grinds i think it could last a month in fridge. Never had any last that long :)

There was someone making gallons of it and I think he chimed in. Cant wait to hear how it goes. I would like to do that sometime myself.
I believe @applescrap was doing some large scale steeping, maybe he can chime in.

My buddy brought some Ethiopian sidamo in he bought somewhere from a known roaster. It is oily, but not dark?! I am surprised that a coffee could be so oily. But still have some brown not black cracks and not a whole lot of char. Havent tasted it yet but dang, how did they get that so oily without charring it. I expect very little flavor wise.

Same thinking here. Why not water down to start with, i think it might over extract?
I have been doing 160 grams of coffee per gallon, either 24 hours in the fridge or 12 hours on the counter, shaken at least twice in that time. I don't water it down and that is a good strength for me.

No two directions agree, but they average about 300 grams per gallon, then cut with half water. I could never understand why you would brew double strength then water it down. Logically, the more concentrated your brew, the less you will extract from the grounds. Maybe that is the point.

You are at 272 grams per gallon. I can't imagine that not being strong enough for you at full strength. My guess is you have the opportunity to experiment with how much you want to cut it with water.

Thanks for the input @bleme and @applescrap. This is my first attempt with several gallons instead of the single gallon I normally do. I use 400 grams for 1 gallon, but do consider that to be concentrated! I am thinking it may very well come down to personal taste and/or preference.

Does anyone here keep their coffee on tap? Do you just set it at 2 psi or something to keep it from carbonating?
I tried that once. It’s ok but I could taste the CO2. If you can do nitrogen that’s the way to go. Nitro cold brew is great!

yup.....should be nitro at 2 psi, or enough to push it...they say the carbonation gives it an off flavor. Not sure I want to be belching coffee either!!!:eek:o_O Cuz I surely drink quite a bit in a short period of time:coff3::coff3::coff4:

Update, the oily sidamo was shat, just my opinion. I couldnt drink it unless I was desperate. Good daisy, char, carbon, and cheap coffee, ugh. I get it though, if they roasted it lighter I would like it and you all would like it, but the general pop...not so much I suspect.

I think a lot of people like creamer not coffee. If starbucks was so good then why dont many drink it black, I wonder.

Update, the oily sidamo was shat, just my opinion. I couldnt drink it unless I was desperate. Good daisy, char, carbon, and cheap coffee, ugh. I get it though, if they roasted it lighter I would like it and you all would like it, but the general pop...not so much I suspect.

I think a lot of people like creamer not coffee. If starbucks was so good then why dont many drink it black, I wonder.
My MIL literally fills her cup 3/4 of the way with creamer before adding coffee :no:

812F0A10-53D8-4F07-926C-7766752A5876.jpeg

100 grams Guatemala acatenago gesha.
Started at full power.
1st crack at 10:30.
Switched to 50% power and turned the drum up to full speed.
Cooled with door closed at 11:00
Final weight 88.2 grams.

Latest posts

Back