D-Rest Guideline

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlanginDueces

Reaction score
Trying to get more scientific with my process...I usually just wait 2ish weeks and my lager is "near" final gravity to raise the temp up for a D-rest.

How many points before FG is ideal for the start of the D-rest? I have not seen specific guidelines in the books I have.

Trying to get more scientific with my process...I usually just wait 2ish weeks and my lager is "near" final gravity to raise the temp up for a D-rest.

How many points before FG is ideal for the start of the D-rest? I have not seen specific guidelines in the books I have.

The specific guideline I am familiar with is when the beer is 75% of the way to FG. So, it's before the beer is quite finished. Often, that's when the SG is 1.020 or so for my lagers.

The theory is that the yeast is still active and raising the temperature at that point encourages them to finish up and digest the diacetyl before flocculating. I generally have my lagers finishing up by day 7 or so, depending on the recipe.

Yooper, what is your usual fermentation temperature? I've been sticking to pitching at 42 and free rising to 50 for most but am seeing slower fermentation?

I find my lagers are 70-80% done in 5 days, this is when I raise for D rest from 48° to 55° and let them sit there for a few days then gradually drop down to lager temp.

Back