Diacetyl Rest Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reneauj62

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a question about diacetyl. Three days ago I brewed up a pilsner and it is in the refridgerator at 54F degrees and is fermenting away. I also have an Ale in a separate fridge and is fermenting at 67F degrees. Problem is, I have been called out of town and will be gone up to two weeks. I usually do a D-Rest and raise the temp to 68F. Since I won't be home I won't be able to D-Rest when I normally would. So, should I move the Pils to the other chamber before I normally would or should I leave it and do a D-Rest in a couple weeks. Would I even need to do a D-Rest if it is left to ferment out that long at 54F degree?

The yeast invloved is Wyeast 2278 Czech Pils which Wyeast state temp range between 50-58F.

Last edited:
My recommendation is to leave it at ferm temps and D-rest when you return.

So, should I move the Pils to the other chamber before I normally would or should I leave it and do a D-Rest in a couple weeks.

I think waiting to do the D-rest until after you return would probably be the safest bet, especially if you are leaving in the next couple of days.

If you needed the beer shortly upon your return and it's half way or more to FG, I think you'd be able to get away with moving it before you leave. Otherwise, I don't see the benefit in rushing it.

Would I even need to do a D-Rest if it is left to ferment out that long at 54F degree?

I can't speak on that yeast specifically, but I definitely recommend the D-rest. I do think yeast can handle diacetyl at lager temps, but at a much much slower rate. If this beer were staying in the fermenter for 10 weeks, you would probably be fine. In this circumstance, the downside of a butter-flavored pils far outweighs the relatively small amount of time it would take to do the D-rest.

I hope my input was helpful. Cheers and safe travels.

Hello all, I have a question about diacetyl. Three days ago I brewed up a pilsner and it is in the refridgerator at 54F degrees and is fermenting away. I also have an Ale in a separate fridge and is fermenting at 67F degrees. Problem is, I have been called out of town and will be gone up to two weeks. I usually do a D-Rest and raise the temp to 68F. Since I won't be home I won't be able to D-Rest when I normally would. So, should I move the Pils to the other chamber before I normally would or should I leave it and do a D-Rest in a couple weeks. Would I even need to do a D-Rest if it is left to ferment out that long at 54F degree?

The yeast invloved is Wyeast 2278 Czech Pils which Wyeast state temp range between 50-58F.

I agree with @aaronmq leave it in primary undisturbed and complete the D-Rest when you get back.

Not alot bad can happen with cold temps in the primary fermentor.

Back