I added yeast at 110 degrees...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsimril0424

Reaction score
Yesterday I made two 5 gallon batches to compare yeast s-04 and s-23 for fun and to compare taste.
I got on the phone and before I realized it I had added the yeast to 110 degrees wart. At noon today I am leaving the house for 3 days. After 12 hours I am not seeing any signs of the start of fermentation. I know it is early, but should I re-pitch? I am concerned I killed the yeast. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks Lee

maybe you reduced alive cells, not killed all the yeast but it's not enough for ood fermentation.
I would repitch to be sure to have enough cells fermenting...

My first question would be, Did you make a yeast slurry or just "sprinkle" the dry yeast in the wort? I am betting that since you are seeing no signs at 12 hrs that you added the yeast dry.

My advice is to:
a)wait a full 24 hrs+ before doing anything. Repitch if necessary following the below instructions

b) If you are not pitching your yeast as a slurry when your wort temperature is between 70-73 degrees, start doing that immediately.

Thanks for the advice:

I rehydrated the yeast before adding to wart. I leave town for three days in a few hours. So I either add more yeast today or wait three days when I return.

I would not worry...
Pasteurizing temperature is around 170.
You will have enough living yeast to carry on.
Maybe your experiment won't have meaningful results as you have introduced another variable into it, but you'll have good beer in the end.
DWHAHB....

It won't kill it by try to get colder before it really takes off.

I have the house at 69 degrees. I see the high fermentation range temp of s23 at 71 degrees. Hopefully I am correct about this.

Not sure where you're seeing that - the data sheet specifies its optimal fermenting range as 12-15°C (53.6-59°F). Fermenting it at 71° F will almost certainly produce some "interesting" unexpected flavours.

Your link says the ideal temp is 56-59F. It should work, but might produce some off flavors as others said.
I did a Vienna lager with S-23, and kept it around 62-64 for three weeks before dropping it for lagering. At those temps, there were a few light off-tastes, but they came out with a decently long lagering and bottle conditioning phase. At 69, you might experience a little more off-taste. Do you have the option of lowering your house temperature to, say. 60 while you're out of town? If so, that might help a lot.

I will say that S-23 is more flexible than most lager yeasts. Even if you keep it around 70, it'll still make a good beer. It'll just have more ale-like esters in it. It might not be a classic lager, but it'll still spit out a good beer. So... y'know... RAHAHB. Also, don't freak out if it spits out a LOT of sulfur smell during fermentation. That happened to me, and it turned out fine.

EDIT: Also, if it makes you feel better, I pitched mine dry and there was a VERY long lag before fermentation started. Like, 24-36 hours long. And like I said, it turned out fine.

Last edited:
Maybe I am miss reading the fermentation temp. Info..

http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/SFG_S23.pdf

This is not a yeast I would normally use.

look at the "ideally" temperature. ideally 12-15°C (53.6-59°F)

You could get some really funky off flavors at the extreme upper end of the range.

110 degrees will not have killed off the yeast. Actually they may love that temperature. But, at such a high temperature you are likely to get those funky off flavors.

I expect you will have fermentation soon, if it has not already started.

Get the temperature of the wort into the mid sixties range as quickly as you can.

the temperature of your house is too warm for both of these yeasts. Especially s-23. I would set your thermostat at 65 before you leave if you want any chance of these beers to turn out

110F isnt going to kill much of either yeast. I would be more concerned with the ~6hr period after pitching when it slowly climbed down to room temp. During this period the yeast would have been very active due to the high temp, and the high temp wouldve also likely created a lot of off flavors

Back