STC-1000 mounting options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redtab78

Reaction score
So I have read a TON of post and looked over pictures, but I have a question concerning mounting that I havn't really seen yet or found any others discussing.

I see how the STC-1000 isn't really desirable in a mounting location of on the collar due to moisture etc, so my question is has any one considered (or done it already) boxing in the back side of the controller to shield it from the moisture?

I like the clean look of having the controller to the side of the faucets, but I do not want to replace it every few years due to moisture corroding the electronics. I also know from past experiences, is that once it is wired and installed properly, it can be completely covered in silicone on the back side (which will make it completely water proof essentially). so maybe a 2"x8" box to cover the back as well at the wires internally coated with silicone could work here??

And finally, if there is a WAY better location, that gives the clean look of no project box etc please let me know.

I have my CO2 bottle outside of my keg and I have my controller stuck to the side of the keezer with some velcro down new the CO2 bottle. Not neat and clean but out of the way and not getting damp. :rockin:

I also prefer the look of the look of the controller mounted on the collar but was concerned about moisture and the open electrical connections. This is my solution, a junction box from Lowes (painted black) mounted on the wall behind the keezer. Its good enough for now, although I may explore collar mounting options later on.

fwiw, there've been lots of examples of controllers mounted in collars and best as I can recall there were no problems reported wrt condensation.
But, also iirc, the owners took steps to mitigate condensation getting into the unit.

I installed an MH1210 as a back-up controller in the lid edge of my keezer.
I built a bit of a nest out of closed-cell foam then covered it with thick poly and duct tape.

new_keezer_48.jpg

It's two years old this last December and the controller has had no problems at all...

PB110002.JPG

Cheers!

i did. i mounted a plastic electrical box and sealed up the holes/edges with silver foil tape. Then i glued foam board insulation around the box. not only is it sealed from the inside of the keezer, but it is insulated as well.

IMG_2506.JPG

fwiw, there've been lots of examples of controllers mounted in collars and best as I can recall there were no problems reported wrt condensation.
But, also iirc, the owners took steps to mitigate condensation getting into the unit.

I installed an MH1210 as a back-up controller in the lid edge of my keezer.
I built a bit of a nest out of closed-cell foam then covered it with thick poly and duct tape.

View attachment 351040

It's two years old this last December and the controller has had no problems at all...

View attachment 351041

Cheers!
That is a nice set up!

I mounted mine in the side where the vent and mechanicals are located. There is plenty of room in that space to mount it. You do lose the view of it from the front if you are trying to show it off. But really once you set it you never really mess with it.

Just a heads up on the wiring you posted. It appears you cut the incoming power cable into the freezer and installed the controller at this point. If that's not the case, then the rest of this post may not be correct.

It appears you swapped the incoming Hot and Neutral to the outgoing Neutral and Hot. It appears that you are currently switching the neutral line. Neither of these issues is huge but not good practice. You could fix it by swapping the black and white wires at terminals 1 & 2 and leave everything else the same.

Just a heads up on the wiring you posted. It appears you cut the incoming power cable into the freezer and installed the controller at this point.

Thanks for the feedback. From your post it seems more like an item to fix when I have time (to make it more like a standard wiring style) rather than something I should fix tonight so my keezer doesn't self destruct. ( I am just trying to figure out the scariness factor ) :)

I also prefer the look of the look of the controller mounted on the collar but was concerned about moisture and the open electrical connections. This is my solution, a junction box from Lowes (painted black) mounted on the wall behind the keezer. Its good enough for now, although I may explore collar mounting options later on.

Most badass tap handles ever :rockin:

Latest posts

Back