Foamy Keg - Help!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diirek_the_3rd

Reaction score
I bought a Kegco conversion kit about 10 weeks ago. After 2 1/6 kegs, the pressure regulator crapped out on me. I did not figure this out until a picked up a new keg of Goose Island IPA and found it the next morning pressurized to almost 60PSI!!!

I closed the tank and reduced pressure to around 10PSI until I received a replacement regulator from Kegco. New regulator has been installed for about a week and the whole system is sitting right around 8PSI. The problem is, I get an entire pour of foam before I can get a DECENT pour. 5 minutes later, another entire cup of foam. Is the keg garbage now?

Sounds like to me you didn't release the pressure that was in the keg (60 psi) before you hooked it back up. You need to release the pressure back down to zero before putting the keg back on pressure. May even need to release the pressure and let it sit for a day then release again. May need to repeat several times as the beer may now be over carbonated. I'm not experience with your system this is just my opinion.

its most likely a combination of overcarbing, lines too short, and the beer in the lines warming up on the way to the tap. you should try 10 foot lines of 3/16ID and insulate your tower or get a tower fan to keep it cooler. What temp is your kegerator at

If your keg was connected to the 60psi for an extended period of time, then yes, your keg is over carbonated. It's not ruined, but you will need to work with it to get it to pour correctly again.

What I would do turn the gas off completely. Then I would pull the pressure release valve until all pressure is gone. I would let it sit that way for a half hour or so and then I would release the pressure again. Continue this process until you there is only a minimal carbonation built back up after the half hour wait.

After that you can turn the gas back on at the appropriate serving pressure. You may need to wait several days, maybe even a week, to allow the beer to re-carbonate at the appropriate level for serving, but you should be good to go after that.

If your keg was connected to the 60psi for an extended period of time, then yes, your keg is over carbonated. It's not ruined, but you will need to work with it to get it to pour correctly again.

What I would do turn the gas off completely. Then I would pull the pressure release valve until all pressure is gone. I would let it sit that way for a half hour or so and then I would release the pressure again. Continue this process until you there is only a minimal carbonation built back up after the half hour wait.

After that you can turn the gas back on at the appropriate serving pressure. You may need to wait several days, maybe even a week, to allow the beer to re-carbonate at the appropriate level for serving, but you should be good to go after that.

I would do this, but warm it up and shake it after purging all the CO2. This will be faster, get it low carb then start over again by setting it to 8-12PSI.

Thanks everybody. I purged the whole system last night down to 0PSI and let it sit over night. I set the pressure back to around 7PSI this morning - Ill see if this does anything. I cleared the air out of the lines after re-pressuring and it already seemed to be pouring better.

At the end of the day, the Blanchards down the street from my office has 1/6 kegs of Goose Island IPA for $50. If I need to Ill just deal with the foam until the keg is kicked and pick up a new one. My best bet it seems is to invest in a better pressure regulator - The Kegco brand seems to be pretty unreliable.

Back