Hop amounts when making a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
I'm only a year + into all grain well brewing in general and I've started making some of my own recipes so Im just trying to wrap my head on how to get the best flavor utilization from hops at diff points in the boil. When it comes to hops I see that even in clone recipes it says they're mostly round numbers ie 1oz here 1 oz there and even when there's a mix of hops say at 5 min the amounts are uniform although obviously the ibu's will be diff based on each hops aa count. So that's my question if I'm say using citra and amarillo ones a 12.5 aa hop in citra while amarillo is fairly low around 8 aa, so if I added equal amounts say 1oz each wouldn't the citra overpower the amarillo due to its higher aa count. So in my simple mind I'm thinkin when I use a mix of hops like that I should lower the amount of the higher aa hop so u get the true mix of flavors and one doesn't overpower he other. Now when using similar aa hops like citra and simcoe I could go on a more 1:1 ratio as neither will overpower the other. Is this the way to approach hops in the recipe? How do u guys/gals do it to help a newb.

Keep in mind that bitterness (AA's) is quite different than flavor and aroma.if I drop a bunch of hops in at 5 minutes left to boil, they will contribute a little bitterness and a lot of flavor and aroma.

I seldom use more than one buttering hop, and plan flavor and aroma additions based on an unscientific method of knowing most of the hops that I use, using that knowledge to guide proportion of hops, and sometimes taking a total shot in the dark.

As mentioned aa's don't necessarily correlate with aroma/flavor, I think those have more to do with overall oil content. In practice when swapping out hops I tend to keep the late additions the same in terms of weight and only adjust the bittering addition for aa's. For example take a basic APA grainbill with a bittering addition at 60, 1 oz hops at 10, 2oz at flameout, and 2oz dry hop. When swapping in different hops I would keep the last 3 additions the same for 5 oz total and adjust the 60 min addition to get the IBU's right. As far as how much of each hop I use when doing combos, for that I go by experience and personal preference (and sometimes dkennedy's shot in the dark method :) ). I really like simcoe, and in particular simcoe/cascade and simcoe/amarillo combos. I usually go 50:50, but I've heard others say they find simcoe a little overpowering so they may go 1/3 simcoe 2/3 cascade in a recipe like that.

Of course the oz for oz thing mostly works with like hops. In my example above I would be swapping in and out mostly the bolder American hops, or big aroma NZ or Australian hops. Using equivalent weights of a milder hop would not work the same.

The aa utilization makes since regarding use of hops later in the boil. I get there won't be bitterness extracted but as mentioned above I guess I was looking at it from the unscientific thought that some hops are just stronger than others thereby their flavor may overpower a less pungent hop. I see now and get that it really has nothing to do with the aa at that point in the boil, I was equating a hops perceived strength of flavor to aa when they're really two different elements. Thanks for clarifying. Seems it all comes down to taste then at that point when u decide how much of what hop to add and when to get your desired effect.

Back