Step control motorized ball valve possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EuBrew

Reaction score
Has anyone figured out a solution to flow control with a motorized ball valve?

I'm not an electronics whiz by any stretch but the ideal solution would be a 4 step control. Off is open/closed, whichever works for your system. Step one is 25% open, step 2 50%, step 3 75%, step 4 100% open.

Even a 2 step at closed, 50%, 100% would be better than having manual valves everywhere.

It's definitely possible. I'd see if you can find a V cut valve rather than a ball valve. There is little difference between the range of 35-75 percent open in a ball valve. Any valve can be made automated. It just depends on how much money you want to throw at it. The V cut valves give more precise control in the 35-75 percent range.

Has anyone figured out a solution to flow control with a motorized ball valve?

I'm not an electronics whiz by any stretch but the ideal solution would be a 4 step control. Off is open/closed, whichever works for your system. Step one is 25% open, step 2 50%, step 3 75%, step 4 100% open.

Even a 2 step at closed, 50%, 100% would be better than having manual valves everywhere.

Look at Ebay for belimo valves, your looking for characterized valves. For control, some are analog (0-10v) and some are simply apply a voltage and it opens or shuts. On those you would need to use time as the control variable. So if the valve takes 90 seconds, apply power for 22.5s for 25%, 45s for 50% and so on. You can find faster valves too, I think there are some cheap chinese ones out there, but you will get what you pay for for the most part.

I took all mine apart and rewired direct to the pcb to eliminate any splices in the runs. There is an open contractor on the pcb labeled BD3A that made me curious if there was a way to use the existing pcb to make another "stop" in the turn. There are 2 "switches" that open or close depending on which wire is connected to ground. I should have taken a closer look at these to see if another one could be added..... Hmmmmm may have to take one apart again

I do..
1901890_364349203707686_1301120303_n.jpg

They are the lighted switches. Turn left to close, Right to open.

Setting the flow would be... right to start valve opening , then returning to center to stop. The valves are on the outputs of my pumps. Standard 12v valves dpdt relay.

Latest posts

Back