Summit has new labels....but same glue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaworm69

Reaction score
I emailed or "facebooked" Summit after seeing their new label lineup hoping (praying) they would use less glue or thinner labels because i really enjoy their Saga IPA and have an EFFLOAD of bottles I could be refilling, but I cannot get them off the dang bottle. Tried oxyclean and PBW with no avail...but the brewer that emailed me back said PBW works fine for him...I am having a hard time believing this...anyone else us these bottles with success? Thanks

Send me oh say a case of empties or a 6-pack of their beer and I'll let you know. :D

Green scotchbrite pad, a good long soak, and I've never had a problem.

I have a setup with a scotchbrite on a die grinder that I use. Warning: label will be all over everything in the county when done. I can strip a wash tub of bottles in 5 minutes tho.

Ammonia is a great lower cost option for label removal. I don't use the summit bottles because of the short lip, I thought you needed the taller lipped bottles to get the cap crimper to work right.

I don't have a problem with Summit bottles, about half my homebrew goes into them. I just drop the empties into a small cooler, and then when it is full, I dump a scoop of oxyclean in, fill with hot water and leave for 1/2 to 3 days, until I find time to rinse out. By then, most of the labels have fallen off by themselves, or a quick scrub off while I rinse out takes them right off.

Never a problem for me. 1/5-1/8 scoop of oxiclean in my sink, then filled with hot water. I generally let them sit for 2 or 3 hours and they come off pretty easy.

Those wine bottles with the gummy adhesive stock make everything else look easy though.

Latest posts

Back