Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #1761
zeg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Posts: 1,218
Liked 129 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Default

If you're being careful/precise, whether you use one or two jars also depends on how many cells you need and what your starter method will be.

I think the OP just uses one per starter and knows from experience that it gives enough yeast. At least, that's what I took away from it.


zeg is offline
Battles4Seattle Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #1762
jb3218
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jb3218's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 66
Default

Not sure if this question has already been asked but here goes. Can't I just make a large starter from a "fresh" vial of yeast and pour some into a couple of jars for future use instead of washing the yeast?


jb3218 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #1763
zeg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Posts: 1,218
Liked 129 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Default

Yes, you can do that, and it's apparently very effective. It leaves less trub than rinsing from a batch of beer.

The only problem is that if you only have capacity for a single batch at a time, you will have the rinsed yeast sitting around for a while. People (including me) have had no problems using rinsed yeast that's been stored for a month or significantly more, but the published experts generally advise reusing rinsed yeast within a week or so for the best results. It's worth knowing that advice, but I think it's probably too conservative for homebrewing purposes---if you're trying to reproduce the same beer exactly, it may be a problem.
zeg is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:55 AM   #1764
jb3218
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jb3218's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeg View Post
Yes, you can do that, and it's apparently very effective. It leaves less trub than rinsing from a batch of beer.

The only problem is that if you only have capacity for a single batch at a time, you will have the rinsed yeast sitting around for a while. People (including me) have had no problems using rinsed yeast that's been stored for a month or significantly more, but the published experts generally advise reusing rinsed yeast within a week or so for the best results. It's worth knowing that advice, but I think it's probably too conservative for homebrewing purposes---if you're trying to reproduce the same beer exactly, it may be a problem.
That's what I thought. Maybe I'll make a starter and step it up a couple of times and then pour into several 1/2 pint jars. Thanks!
jb3218 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #1765
tg123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 189
Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

I just bottled my beer and put some boiled water and jars in the fridge. Would it be ok if I leave the yeast in the carboy and trasnfer/wash the tomorrow since it's almost 2am now? there's still a little bit of beer left. It seems to be bubbling still so I assume it'll be fine.
Thanks!
__________________
Bottles: JAOM, Apfelwein, Blood Orange Hef
Kegs: Amarillo Saison, Centenniamarillo Blonde
Primary: Pliny the Elder Kit (MoreBeer)
Secondary: Water spots
tg123 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #1766
HollisBT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 686
Liked 66 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg123
I just bottled my beer and put some boiled water and jars in the fridge. Would it be ok if I leave the yeast in the carboy and trasnfer/wash the tomorrow since it's almost 2am now? there's still a little bit of beer left. It seems to be bubbling still so I assume it'll be fine.
Thanks!
Should be good as long as you trust your sanitation practices.
HollisBT is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #1767
tg123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 189
Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollisBT View Post

Should be good as long as you trust your sanitation practices.
Thx for the confirmation.
One more question, do I just poor the water into the carboy cold on leaving it come up to room temperature first? Thanks
__________________
Bottles: JAOM, Apfelwein, Blood Orange Hef
Kegs: Amarillo Saison, Centenniamarillo Blonde
Primary: Pliny the Elder Kit (MoreBeer)
Secondary: Water spots
tg123 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #1768
HollisBT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 686
Liked 66 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg123

Thx for the confirmation.
One more question, do I just poor the water into the carboy cold on leaving it come up to room temperature first? Thanks
Use room temp water, the Same temperature as the yeast cake that you are washing. Any big temp differences could shock the yeast and mess up your wash or even worse, change he characteristics of your yeast.
HollisBT is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #1769
tg123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 189
Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollisBT View Post

Use room temp water, the Same temperature as the yeast cake that you are washing. Any big temp differences could shock the yeast and mess up your wash or even worse, change he characteristics of your yeast.
Shocking the yeast was what I was concerned about. Thanks Hollis.
__________________
Bottles: JAOM, Apfelwein, Blood Orange Hef
Kegs: Amarillo Saison, Centenniamarillo Blonde
Primary: Pliny the Elder Kit (MoreBeer)
Secondary: Water spots
tg123 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #1770
jwalker1140
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Glendale, CA
Posts: 559
Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollisBT View Post
Use room temp water, the Same temperature as the yeast cake that you are washing. Any big temp differences could shock the yeast and mess up your wash or even worse, change he characteristics of your yeast.
Interesting. I know big temp differences can cause yeast to floc out during ferment and other nasty things but I've never heard it could be harmful while washing. The OP puts his water jars into the fridge after they've been boiled, and judging from the first pic in post #2, it looks like they're still cold just before he uses them. I'm surprised he didn't mention to allow the jars to warm up before using. (Or maybe he did and I missed it somewhere.)


jwalker1140 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeast washing vs. yeast harvesting (kraeusen skimming) Dogslovebeer General Techniques 14 05-30-2013 06:05 PM
Washing yeast, starters, pre-made wort, all kinds of yeast Q's 98EXL General Techniques 15 09-06-2011 05:55 PM
Conical to Keg Illustrated John Beere Bottling/Kegging 25 03-21-2011 07:38 PM
Decoction, An Illustrated PPT Presentation BierMuncher General Techniques 2 01-03-2008 11:30 PM
My first All-Grain...Illustrated BierMuncher All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 28 02-01-2007 06:19 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS