Kreusen with a stir plate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mward

Reaction score
I'm doing my first stir-plate starter and I was wondering if I should expect some kreusen as with a normal non stir plate kind. Being as it's constantly stirred it might destroy it, and as it's covered with foil instead of an airlock I can't really tell if anything is going on so far. Thanks.

I usually don;t get any krausen, but you can see the amount of yeast increasing, and the size of the vortex diminishes as the yeasts multiply.

-a.

I get around a 1/8" (if that much) layer of foam on top after fermentation kicks in. It's neat watching all the tiny bubbles streaming out of solution as it stirs.

Yeah it's been going for about 20 hours now and the amount of yeast is amazing. No kreusen but tons of yeast.

I finally assembled all the parts I need for a functioning stir plate (the plate, flasks, and stir bars). I'm itching to get back home after a long weekend out of town to breed up some WLP 566 Platinum Series for a winter Saison... I should probably find a recipe for it while I'm doing that.

kvh.

I use yeast nutrients, O2 and a breathable stopper. I get a huge krausen on my starters on the stirplate. I have one spinning away right now. I have to leave about 1/4 of the flask volume open to allow for the krausen or it will plug up and push out the stopper.

It might be worth noting that the yeast I'm using is not a huge kreusen producer normally anyhow so the lack of kreusen on the stirplate is not remarkable. I did get activity within 8 hours and it's fermenting very nicely right now.

Back