maple syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not in my experience. Ive used it in the boil and also added it the 2nd day of active fermentation and didnt notice any difference. It also doesn't add much, if any, maple flavor. IIRC, 8oz of Pure Grade B Maple Syrup adds approx .006 to your OG. If your looking for maple flavor check out fenugreek.

Thank you brother! Its getting 2lbs of syrup....and some for priming at bottle time. Merry Christmas !

I've never used it, but I would expect you would keep more of the aroma and flavor if you add it after fermentation starts to slow down.

And 1 lb of maple syrup will add about .006/.007 per gallon in a 5 gallon batch. Not .012 as KBW said; if it did, it would have more sugar than ..... well, sugar!

Just brewed a Vermont golden ale. Can't remember where I found the recipe but I used a whole can of syrup which I added to the end of the boil. The beer is good, but I don't find the syrup added anything to the mix. The flavors were lost in the fermentation.

seanybubbles said:
Just brewed a Vermont golden ale. Can't remember where I found the recipe but I used a whole can of syrup which I added to the end of the boil. The beer is good, but I don't find the syrup added anything to the mix. The flavors were lost in the fermentation.

I have to disagree. Maple syrup can be 1.080 and sometimes even higher. It's also almost 100% fermentable. The kind I used most certainly has given me between .004-.006 per 8 oz.

I have to disagree. Maple syrup can be 1.080 and sometimes even higher. It's also almost 100% fermentable. The kind I used most certainly has given me between .004-.006 per 8 oz.

Table sugar, Cane sugar, Beet sugar is quite simply sugar and nothing else. You can't get anything with more 'sugar' than that. When 1 lb is dissolved in water and made up to a gallon, it will have a gravity of 1.046.

Syrup, by it's very nature is sugar and water (it is diluted sugar; that's what makes it a syrup). Since it is sugar and (a small amount of) water, it will have a lower gravity when dissolved in water and made up to a gallon.

1 lb of Plain table sugar will add about .009 to 5 gallons of wort. As far as I know, there is nothing that can increase wort gravity more (on a lb for lb basis). Based on this, any syrup will increase the gravity less than .009 for a lb. The maximum 8 ozs of a syrup could increase gravity in 5 gallons would be .004. Standard malt extract (syrup) would add .0035 for 8 ozs.

Unless I am missing something, there is no way any sugar based additive can increase gravity by more than plain sugar.

As matter of flavor add it later,you wont get much flavor but more if drank sooner and added later,use some to bottle prime it helps but only at first,after ageing it will get less noticable and depending on the recipe may not even be noticable to begin with or may not impart a character which you intended. You may like molassis,its kind of intense and should be used somewhat sparingly but may give what you want in character,maybe even adding a little vanilla also.
Think of it like hop additons the later you add it the more you will notice it( at least sooner than later) And how much you add is the intensity. This is just general though and kind of depends on a number of factors like yeast,even yeast viabality/health,etc.... temps and a variety of things.

Latest posts

Back