Northern Brewer Fixed Gear - Didn't Finish?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIBrewer83

Reaction score
I brewed the NB Fixed Gear extract kit and followed the directions properly. I have been brewing for a few years, so I am sure I had the proper cleanliness and steps followed in order. I kegged it after 6 weeks to my 35 degree keezer. Its been in there for about a month and it just seems that all the hops didn't smooth out quite yet. (very bitter!)

So, my question is, would it help to remove from the keezer for a few weeks to "finish"? Or at this point, is it at it's final taste? It turned out much more bitter than I was expecting. (I have tasted the real Fixed Gear and it is hoppy, but smooth)

Thanks for any insight!

Did you do a full boil or partial? Most of the NB kits call for 2.5 gal of water before boil but if you're doing it with 6 gal and boiling down to 5 you would have gotten a lot more hop utilization due to larger volume and less concentrated wort.

Sounds odd. Have you reached out to NB for advice? Their customer support is awesome and almost all the people I'm spoken with have brewed every kit. I like to use the online chat option-great way to keep a record of what they tell you.

Taking it out of the fridge will let it age faster which will reduce the bitterness sooner.

Back