rebuying gear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wormraper

Reaction score
I've been out of brewing for about 10 years due to some health issues (a pain condition that alcohol worsens, which I've finally figured out what was causing it and addressed) and naturally my gear is pretty much all gone and/or needs to have been replaced anyways due to being plastic.

anyways, I remember back 10 years ago there was always a groupon (wow, I feel dated remembering when groupon was everywhere) for a Northern Brewer or MoreBeer kit going around, and was just wondering what the go to gear kits were these days, and if they had those massive discount coupons for new kits like they used to back in the day. I was looking at the $149 Northern Brewer kit as the best value but didn't know if there was anything else out there or if there was a known "oh yea, there's a stupid sale on insert kit on this site you missed" type of situation since it's been a freaking decade since I really paid attention

welp, ended up getting a good coupon code on the Norther Brewer deluxe kit with the Hank's Hefe on it. Actually if I remember correctly that same kit with the same hefe was my very first kit 14 years ago lol.

grabbed some Oxy cleaner and star san too. Figure I should be good to go except for grabbing a 3 piece air lock from my LHBS as I don't really "love" the S-shape ones if memory serves me correctly

More beer has a special on right now that covers their Deluxe brewing kit which comes with a plastic conical fermenter but can be upgraded to a stainless conical temp-controlled fermenter that's 110 powered and even with the copper work Chiller it's still under 400 bucks. Check it out, it's an absolute steal.

Yeah. I like the 3 pieces for active ferm. I always found the s shape would run out of water early, were harder to clean and a pain to refill if they run out early from a vigorous ferm

More beer has a special on right now that covers their Deluxe brewing kit which comes with a plastic conical fermenter but can be upgraded to a stainless conical temp-controlled fermenter that's 110 powered and even with the copper work Chiller it's still under 400 bucks. Check it out, it's an absolute steal.

yeah, I looked at the morebeer kit too, but I decided to go with the tried and true "brew buckets" NB version simply because I temp control using the old fashioned "stick the bucket inside a tub filled with water and frozen 2 liter bottles" as temp control (internal house temp is 78 thanks to living in the hell we call Arizona) and I wasn't sure how well that spigot on the fermoonster would do with keeping any backwash away.

I bought a great big stand up freezer years ago and then built a rack for inside of it to hold my stainless conical fermenter without all of its stand Hardware. Then on the floor of it I can fit two buckets or big mouth bubblers to have two batches going at the same time inside of it. It's always interesting to hear the various methods people in other areas of the country use, like your ice in two liter bottles. I'm in PA so even in the dead of Summer my basement has cool areas that work for most stuff. It just involves carrying heavy stuff up and down stairs.

Do you plan to bottle or keg this fine brew? If using a bottling bucket look up on here about connecting the bottling wand to the spigot with only a few inches of hose. Then just lift bottle, fill and lower the bottle. Leaves great head space and you don't have to worry about the wand hitting the floor.
Btw, Hanks Hefeweizen is probably my favourite NB kit.

Do you plan to bottle or keg this fine brew? If using a bottling bucket look up on here about connecting the bottling wand to the spigot with only a few inches of hose. Then just lift bottle, fill and lower the bottle. Leaves great head space and you don't have to worry about the wand hitting the floor.
Btw, Hanks Hefeweizen is probably my favourite NB kit.

yes, I am bottling this fine brew as I always did. I don't drink a whole ton so a batch will last months, making bottles more effecient for cracking one open before a movie or what not.

and yeah, that's exactly how I used the bottle wand ...easy assembly line filling that way

and yeah, I was always surprised how easy Hank's hefeweizen was. I replicated it a dozen times at least from my LHBS supplies. I usually used WLP300 instead of the WB-06 dry yeast that comes with the kit, but it has ALWAYS been a crowd pleaser with me and the wife

Last edited:
gahhhh!! of course I didn't look closely. the NB kit has a freaking spigot on the brew bucket too, which means submerging it in an ice water bath for 2-3 weeks would NOT be good. *sigh. that explains why I didn't see a racking cane or beer theif in the parts list. I'll just grab a basic brew bucket from my LHBS and use the their fermentor as a spare bottling bucket, or for brews like a saison where I'm pushing it as hot as it can get in the house

Welcome back to the obsession! I used bucket fermenters with spigots. I also do temp control in an ice water bath and have never had a problem. If the beer can't get out I doubt the water can get in. I just spray the spigot inside and out with Star San when I get ready to transfer to the bottling bucket. The spigot on the fv sure makes it easy to check sg. Happy brewing!🍻

Welcome back to the obsession! I used bucket fermenters with spigots. I also do temp control in an ice water bath and have never had a problem. If the beer can't get out I doubt the water can get in. I just spray the spigot inside and out with Star San when I get ready to transfer to the bottling bucket. The spigot on the fv sure makes it easy to check sg. Happy brewing!🍻

I know it PROBABLY is safe, I just didn't want one more point of failure so I picked up a $14.99 brew bucket without a spigot at my LHBS and called it a day. I guess I'll have a second bottling bucket or use it for Saisons that I brew hot and fast outside a water bath

IMHO the advantages of a spigot on the bucket far outweigh the disadvantages. YMMV of course.

Put a piece of vinyl tubing on the spigot and route it out of your water bath into a bottle of starsan so nothing can get inside.

And when you get some extra cash… the allinonewinepump.com vacuum pump. Eliminates most lifting. Transfer from bucket to carboy to bottle. Love mine. I’m not affiliated with them, except for being a happy customer.
Cheers

out of curiosity, does anyone know if the Northern Brewer 6.5 gallon lids work withe Brewmaster buckets??? I have that lid from the one with teh spigot and was thinking of just grabbing the Brewmaster ale pail from my LHBS and using the NB lid to save a few bucks and not waste a lid

Back