My 1st taste............. BITTER!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slyko

Reaction score
So I took just a little smackeroo when I racked it from my primary to my secondary carboy.

This is my initial batch. It's the English Nut Brown kit from an extract.

It's hella bitter................. & I like bitter. But this is so bitter it's almost undrinkable. Sure it's flat & has all kinds of goodies floating in it.

Now I did not strain out the Hops etc. when I pored it from the kettle to the primary fermenting bucket. The hops have been sitting in it for 1 week.

But...............................

Is it supposed to be this bitter? My 2nd batch I did strain it.............. but it's too early to taste it.

Help.

I wouldn't worry about it since it's still very young. The bitterness comes from boiling the hops, not letting them sit in the fermentor. I'm sure it'll be fine once it's carbed

Way too early to worry about taste. It's green beer, and the flavor will change as it conditions. I've had beers taste bitter at bottling time, and lose all of the bitterness when they were conditioned. Now that your primary is empty, brew your second batch. By the way, Northern Brewer has all kits at 15% off starting today through 3/20. Take advantage.:tank:

By the way, Northern Brewer has all kits at 15% off starting today through 3/20. Take advantage.:tank:

Where did you see that? I just checked the site and didn't see this info but I ain't always the brightest bulb. Is there a checkout code you need to enter or something?

Nevermind... answered my own question from poking around...

input the code: MakeGreatBeer

and it's all good

Back