Cantillon interview on the Sunday Session

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should be a good show. It could push the De Struise show out of the top spot as the best show. I only wish Cantillion was available right now. Michigan hasn't seen any new bottles in a couple years.

This is good timing. I reserved the Rose de Gambrinus, Kriek, and the 2007 Iris at my local craft beer store Sunday. Picking them up after work today. I'm new to the wild yeast fermented beers. I can't wait to taste them.

This is good timing. I reserved the Rose de Gambrinus, Kriek, and the 2007 Iris at my local craft beer store Sunday. Picking them up after work today. I'm new to the wild yeast fermented beers. I can't wait to taste them.

Have you had any sours before? The first sour that I had was Rose de Gambrinus, and I hated it. Why? because it's very sour. Who would have thought? I just didn't know what to expect. I love it now as well as every Cantillon that I've tried.

Have you had any sours before? The first sour that I had was Rose de Gambrinus, and I hated it. Why? because it's very sour. Who would have thought? I just didn't know what to expect. I love it now as well as every Cantillon that I've tried.
Nope not really. I am anticipating the sour though. If I like these I'll be looking to try many more though. The way these sour ales are made is freaking amazing.

Four hours!! That is such a long interview. Anyone hear it yet?

BW

Downloading it now, but if it's like every other Sunday Session, just skip about an hour into the show to get to the real interview. Should be about 45 minutes to 90 minutes long.

Don't skip this one. It's very good and the interview with Jean starts very near the beginning. the interview gets wrapped up at about the 2 hour mark. I have a dire hankering for some real lambic now!!

I'm drinking a Cantillon Bruocsella 1900-Grand Cru right now.... it's awesome!

I may have to make a starter from the dregs while I listen to this interview....

I was a bit disappointed with the interview. I was hoping it was going to get more technical on their actual brewing technique, wort production, seasonal brewing, blending technique etc... it was fine, just not much I hadn't heard/read elsewhere.

I was a bit disappointed with the interview. I was hoping it was going to get more technical on their actual brewing technique, wort production, seasonal brewing, blending technique etc... it was fine, just not much I hadn't heard/read elsewhere.

I can understand why you would be disappointed (since you have heard him talk before) but a lot of people haven't.

And to sort of excuse Justin further, Jean's talk at the CBC wasn't very technical either, and that was moderated by Vinnie Cilurzo.

Jean did talk about barrels getting old and lending undesirable flavors to the lambic. Although I never did hear at about how old he would start looking for it or just recieve new one from the wineries.

BW

My wife and I were in Brussels about two weeks ago, touring through Europe. We stopped in for a brewery tour of Cantillon, and we walked in a couple of moments late...

There was a kind old man at a small table in the front of the brewery, and he asked my wife and I if we were a part of "that group", referencing what looked like a small throng of college students walking into the brewery away from the table. I stated, "No, sorry. I was wondering if it would be possible to have a tour, even though we are late." He smiled warmly, and he sold us two tickets, logged us in his book, and told us to wait in a small bar/sampling area. He handed us a small informational pamphlet in English, and I poured through it in the sampling area.

After a short while, a nice lady gave us the initial portion of our tour, taking us to the mash tun. She made a great introduction to the brewery, and send us on our self-guided tour. The brewery is in basically a three floor converted barn of sorts, and I can describe the equipment in fair detail. It was awesome, but that is not the point of this post-

I just wanted to say that after my tour was over, I got back to the man at the ticket table. It was Mr. Van Roy himself, humbly selling tickets. The lady at the start of the tour was one of his daughters. I related to him that I brewed, but in vastly smaller quantities (though, commercially, the Cantillon production [and equipment] struck me as closer to homebrewer scale than any other brewery tour that I have ever done). He lit up, and started to show me some old, manual bottling system, which he said he used to PERSONALLY bottle Cantillon Gueuze until 1981 (Cantillon has since switched to a small automated bottling conveyor, which is the most modern part of their entire process. He even invited me to attend a brewing session at the brewery during the winter when they do them.

Either way, Mr. Van Roy is a wonderful, human, and humble man who loves his simple brewery, and loves when others can appreciate what he is actually doing there. -I don't know what high school or college age kids hope to get out of it, unless they want to take a short walk through a barn for a free glass of beer (a shame that they may not understand what they are seeing).

I have toured a number of breweries, distilleries, wineries, and champagne cellars, and I must admit- the Cantillon brewery tour was my overall favorite, and the greatest inspiration to me among them as a homebrewer.

Mr Van Roy is a great person, and if you are EVER in Brussels, I cannot recommend the Cantillon brewery tour enough. Absolutely wonderful.

...Maybe a bit off topic, but I just love it when good people are doing well while having a good time and making a great product.

I think that the seeming lack of a technical interview (both on The Brewing Network and at CBC) simply reflects how little technology Cantillon actually uses.

Great post, Ridonkulous05. Eventually when I make my way over there, I'll be sure to take the tour. :)

I think that the seeming lack of a technical interview (both on The Brewing Network and at CBC) simply reflects how little technology Cantillon actually uses.

I think what people want is how to blend geueze. I think that just has to be learned, not taught.

If you want to know how to brew lambic, sparrow has that covered I think

Back