Inspecting a used kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drumming102

Reaction score
Going to look at a used kegerator tomorrow. What do i need to check on it.

Asking 250 but said they'ed take as low as 150. Haven't seen it but sounds like the old dome top fridge with tap installed out the front. Said it looks rough but cools great. Sanke fitting and reg/5lb tank included. She wasn't sure what brand tap or reg.

What do i need to watch out for? Planning on taking a partially filled co2 tank with me to check out the reg but otherwise I'm clueless.

I personally would check the condensor coil and check it to see if its clean also the environment that its in typically is a good indication of how been its run (such as a hot/cold garage can cause harsh cycling) bring a thermometer see if it actually cools and shuts down also listen to the compressor if struggles to start or is noisey on shutdown there could be internal issues good luck

Anyway to tell what type of coolant is in it and if it is serviceable in the future?

If i understood your saying it it was round top fridge indicating its a older fridge it probably has R-12 refigerant in it and probably is not worth servicing these typically had no service ports for serviceability (refrigeration ports) they can be added im not sure what a appliance repair tech runs per hour but its not cheap I personally do commercial refrigeration and there are times its cheaper to replace equipment than fix it that being said if you can get at a low price and the tap, regulator,and lines could all be used on your next set-up when this one goes down than I would go for it

yea Id say if it runs and all the other stuff is good then 150 ain't too bad. Especially if the taps are in good condition and the tank is in date.

The fridge was not bad but all the rest was rusted and busted junk. I took a pass.

Back