Help with Pink Color for a Grapefruit IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottyC

Reaction score
This weekend I brewed a Grapefruit IPA -- a dry beer with amarillo, cascade, simcoe, and citra hops. I wanted to give this a beer PINK color. My thought was something like Magic Hat Wacko -- a very clear, light pinkish/red color (but with more flavor). Magic Hat says they use beet juice. I got 2 cans of sliced beets, poured in the liquid from these cans, and boiled for about 45 minutes. Initially, it looked like it was going to be a peachy color, but by the end of the boil those red tones were gone. My guess is that the dye from the beets is hydrophobic, because the lupulin glands were stained black...

So this beer's in primary right now and probably at about 3-4 SRM -- pale straw. Does anyone have any recommendations for what I could throw in to secondary that would give me a pink color but compliment the "grapefruit" flavor? Thanks!

I'd imagine you could get the results you want with a little food coloring. Don't know if that would be a "legit" way of accomplishing it for you.

I'd imagine you could get the results you want with a little food coloring. Don't know if that would be a "legit" way of accomplishing it for you.

Dye would be fine, but I know many red dyes get sort of "orangey" when they get diluted. Beet juice made sense because it's one of those dyes that is pinkish when it gets diluted.

I was thinking pomegranate juice might do the trick. Strong, red dye and would contribute a dry, tart flavor. Any comments?

i think i'd pull a small sample and test it by adding a drop of pom. juice at a time to see if you can even get your color.
if not, do the same with beet or food coloring, or whatever else you can think of to try.

Thanks guys...I pulled off a sample and tried adding some POM. It got a little pinkish hue, but the flavor was a bit off. I tried some a gel-based food coloring (my wife uses them for cakes) and it did the trick! I'll go with that at bottling.

How does the Grapefruit IPA taste? I thought that I was the only one that thought of doing this. All of my friends made fun of me, so I never did it.

You living in Florida I bet you have some of those prickly pear cactus, and could experiment with those. Here in Myrtle Beach they have their bright red fruits right now. I was thinking of picking some, slicing them thin, and soaking them in vodka. You could fill up a 5 gal bucket of water and see what color it turns it. If the color is right you could add it to your bottling bucket or keg.

Here is a link on how to prepare them for food:
http://www.wikihow.com/How-to-Eat-Prickly-Pear-Cactus

I read somewhere online someone using it in their beer. I don't remember what color it turned it though.

Oh yeah, I just maid a Vienna/Cascade SMaSH that tastes just like grapefruit.
1oz cascade at 60, 25, and 5min and you could swear there's grapefruit in it.

How does the Grapefruit IPA taste? I thought that I was the only one that thought of doing this. All of my friends made fun of me, so I never did it.

I got the same reactions from people -- but I said screw it and made the grapefruit beer anyways. I transferred it into secondary this weekend. My expectations have been surpassed! The aroma was pineapple, mango, and tropical fruit. For having no late additions (FWH and 60 min boil only) I was very impressed. Flavor is spot-on grapefruit. Dry hopping with 0.5 oz each Citra, Amarillo, Cascade now. Can't wait until it's done!

Fletch -- that video is hilarious! I feel like I've hard parts of that conversation in the last couple of weeks...

Rover -- Unfortunately prickly pear isn't native in this part of Florida. However, I did see that some brewery used it in a wheat and got quite a pink color:

http://www.examiner.com/craft-beer-in-dallas/real-texans-drink-pink-beer

I use hibiscus in a similar beer. It also gives a kind of tart flavor which compliments the citrus really well. Have you ever had red zinger tea? It tastes and looks hibiscus based, I've never checked the ingredients but I would be surprised if it wasn't hibiscus. I use it in the boil, but for your purposes you may want to dry "hop" with it. Try an ounce for five gallons and see if it gives you enough color. If not add another ounce.

Back