Recipe support for brewing noob: Double IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan941

Reaction score
First, I want to say I've been lurking around here for a few weeks now and I'm totally astounded by how supportive everyone is on this forum and really in the home brew community in general!

I just completed my 4th extract brew, 3 of which were recipe kits and the other was an IPA where I changed around an IPA recipe I found online to match what I'm into. Now I want to brew a double IPA, and having read about the process online for a few days, I want to make sure my recipe/process seems okay to the more accomplished home brewers on this site considering some of the pitfalls described on the internet (don't use too much malt extract, hop usage at 15-30 minutes vs. at flame out, etc.) Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

FYI, I only plan to brew a 1 gallon batch of beer for this recipe so I can continue experimenting with different brews before I jump into the 5 gallon brews. I listed my recipe in 1 gallon form below, but if it is easier to project the recipe at 5 gallons I can do the math to scale it up as well.

Recipe Specifications (1 Gallon)
--------------------------
Boil Size: 1.50 gal (Should I start with 2 gallons instead of 1.5 like I normally do due to hop absorption, or doesn't it matter since much of the absorption will take place during dry hopping? I just don't want to end up with more than 1 gallon for the fermenter)
Batch Size (fermenter): 1.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.084 SG
Estimated FG: 1.014 SG for 9.3 ABV
Estimated Color: 6.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 114.9 IBUs

Grain/Extract Bill:
  • 1.7lbs Muntons DME Extra Light (81% of grain bill)
  • 0.25lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (11.9% of grain bill; purpose is to bump ABV without over using DME to avoid heavy malt taste. Does this make sense, or should I bump DME to 2lbs and drop the dextrose?)
  • 1.6oz Briess Caramel 10L (4.8 % of grain bill; purpose is to add some color & light caramel background)
  • 0.8oz Briess Caramel 60L (2.4% of grain bill; purpose is to add more color, but use half as much as 10L to avoid heavy caramel flavors)
Hop Schedule:
  • 60 minute: 0.4oz Centennial Hops (AA 10%)
  • 15 minute: 0.2oz Citra Hops (AA 11%)
  • 15 minute: 0.2oz Mosaic Hops (AA 12%)
  • Flame Out: 0.2oz Citra Hops (AA 11%)
  • Flame Out: 0.2oz Mosaic Hops (AA 12%)
  • Dry Hop after 7 days for 7 days: 0.2oz Citra Hops (AA 11%)
  • Dry Hop after 7 days for 7 days: 0.2oz Mosaic Hops (AA 12%)
  • Beer smith tells me this will result in about 114 IBUs, but do experienced brewers think this looks like enough hops?

Yeast:
  • Safale US-05 (11.5 grams) (Because of the high amount of DME and corn sugar, should I plan to use all 11.5 games of yeast for fermentation if I plan to ferment between 68-70? I understand the yeast is comfortable between 53 and 77, but normally I use closer to 5oz of dry yeast for 1 gallon batches).
I'm really hoping this recipe will result in a crisp DIPA with heavy hop flavors as well as a nice strong bitterness, but my major concern is making sure the grain bill doesn't cause any overly malty/caramel flavors. For example, I'd have no complaints about losing the specialty grains, but I do want to make sure the beer has decent head retention and color.

I am very much a brewing noob here, but I've also never fallen into a hobby quite as hard as I've fell into home brewing so far, so any advice you could give me on the recipe or anything else would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all,

Any thoughts here? I’m mainly just concerned with the ratio of DME to hops and determining whether I should add dextrose or just bump the base malt.

Thank you!

i brew 10 gallon batches, and use about 8oz's, 10 times as much 60, for a amber.....? if you want hop tea, which is what it sounds like, i'd just use something like .5 oz 15 or 20L crystal.....

i brew 10 gallon batches, and use about 8oz's, 10 times as much 60, for a amber.....? if you want hop tea, which is what it sounds like, i'd just use something like .5 oz 15 or 20L crystal.....

Thanks for the advice, bracconiere! If I'm understanding you correctly, you're suggesting I get rid of the 60L and replace it with .5 oz of 20L. That sounds like a fine adjustment to me, and will move me from a projected 7.1 SRM to 5.9 SRM which is a bit closer to the deep gold I'm looking for anyway.

Also, when you say hop tea... is that a description of a brew that is overly hoppy compared to the grain/extract bill? I could add more extract if that seems like a good idea, but I've read about how you don't want to take away from the hops with the extract in double IPAs.

Any other suggestions on how to improve this recipe would be greatly appreciated!

com'on now man, i did a quick google for crappy homebrewer, and this was the first link: (edit: kinda makes me proud edit #2: i had to check but, i am officially the crappiest homebrewer! :D)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/cuss-me-out-for-being-a-crappy-homebrewer-lol.654988/

but i don't know much about hops, because i like malt, someone else good at this will have to chime in...as far as i've read about hops flavor, there's time at different temp to add durring cooling the wort also, not just boiling additions.....personaly if i want more hops flavor i just give it a 60 min and dry hop it.....

Last edited:
Back