Marris Otter Styles questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galttfwo

Reaction score
What ale styles would Marris Otter not be appropriate for? I usually do Bitters and British styles, so I stock up on sacks of MO. Looking to try some new styles, and wanted to know if it would be an adequate sub for say, the base malt in a Saison.

Thanks!

Anything that needs to be really pale in color should probably use domestic 2-row or some kind of pilsner malt. Marris Otter is too dark for a lot of beers.

I brew a kick ass IPA that is half 2 Row/half MO. I like it for the depth of flavor.

I think that MO would work well in most American-style ales, except for maybe a blonde. APA, IPA, Porter, Stouts, Brown Ale, the list goes on.

I love Maris Otter. I brew a ton of English styles (bitter being one of my favorites) and I think it's really important to use as a base for those, but it's also a great base malt for a lot of styles. I've had some incredible American IPAs and IIPAs that used MO as the base.

It all comes down to what flavor profile you want. If you want a little breadiness in the background and a little bit more color, MO works great. If you want a cleaner, lighter colored beer, domestic 2-row is probably a safer bet.

Latest posts

Back