How Accurate is the Blichmann Sight Glass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcticBear

Reaction score
I recently just purchased a 20G Boilermaker. It came in last night so i decided to put to the test today. With the exception of it missing the mounting o-ring and hardware (and tools apparently) everything looks awesome. I had a friend who let me vulture some parts off of his spare keggle to get my pot going for todays use. (Midwest also said they would have the parts for the brewmometer shipped out right away, so kudos to them for good customer service)

Simple 5 gallon AG recipe from "Beer Captured" making the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale.

Started my boil with what appeared to be about 7.5-8 gallons (according to the sight glass) and finished my boil with what appeared to be 5.5 gallons. I figured a little bit in loss from the dip tube and a tiny bit loss in the counterflow chiller...

needless to say i ended up with looks to be close to 3 gallons of wort in my carboy...

So i have to ask, has anyone else had accuracy issues with their sightglass on the boilermaker? When I get some time this week, I'm going to take a gallon jug of water and fill the pot and check the calibration of it, but i figured since it was already etched in that it was accurate enough.

no one? I guess I'll have to see about checking the calibration on mine tonight...

I don't have a sight glass but if I did, the first thing I would do would be to check it prior to trusting it.

I've got marks on my mash paddle. Some day I'll have a sight glass.

Back