Made a Honey Hefeweizen needs tweaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daver77

Reaction score
I made a Honey Hefeweizen and while overall it's good I think it needs tweaking to get to where I want it.

the recipe is:

3.0 lb (46.2%) Dry Wheat (Muntons Wheat)
1.0 lb (15.4%) Dry Wheat @15min
8 oz (7.7%) Carahell®
8 oz (7.7%) Honey Malt
1.5 lb (23.1%) Raw Honey @ flameout
1.0 oz (100.0%) Tettnanger (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 35.0 min
1.0 ea WYeast 1010 American Wheat

It finishes a bit dry on the tongue, I'm not sure if that's the raw honey or the 1.009 FG? It was supposed to be an FG of 1.014.

The honey flavor is pronounce but not overbearing. It seems as if the yeast flavors and the honey are competing though.

I think next time I'll make do with less or no honey malt.

Any suggestions?

First thing I would try is going to a Hef yeast rather than an American Wheat. The additional esters from the German or even more so the Wit might round the profile in the direction that you are after. Overall seems to me that the effect of the late addition of that much honey will be pretty powerful.

I could skip the raw honey and stick with the honey malt as well.

I thought the american wheat would be cleaner with a wheatier taste but not so.

I could try a hefe yeast next time.

Definitely use a hefe strain.

Honey is pretty much all sugar, so it is going to ferment out and make your beer thin and dry. That's the opposite of what you want in a wheat beer. As others said, go with honey malt.

Back