Keezer Compressor issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbird01

Reaction score
Hey guys, figured someone out there knows a bit about compressors/freezers. I just got a non-functioning freezer for free. It is an old Kenmore 10. I plugged it in to diagnose. The compressor is humming along just fine and seems to be functional. I heard a bit of a hissing. Soon I found oil leaking down one of the lines that goes into the freezer sidewall.

There is a line that comes off the top half of compressor and a line that comes off the bottom part. The one that is leaking comes off the bottom half. It appears to be a bit corroded right where it enters the freezer compartment.

Seems that you would need to expose the line on the inside in order to fix, which is completely encased.

Anyone know what this line is and what a fix would be?

Pics attached:
compressor.jpg

Linetofreezer.jpg

btw...the leaking substance is a clear/tan liquid. It is thicker than water and slippery like an oil.

I'm not HVAC, but doesn't Freon go into the compressor? So if you managed to expose and replace the line (perhaps with a similar copper pipe?), you'd still have to repressurize the system. A/C repairmen carry around a small tank which they use for this.

Two bad things here, first I bet your fridge has R12 gas vs the later R134a, this R12 gas was repaced by R134a (EPA "crap") costs an arm and leg more in price with a HVAC person having a license to handle it. Second that you lost some oil lubricant mixed in with the gas, how much was lost is a guessing game, too little your compressor life is shortened. The price in labor, gas and oil charged gas can end up more than that fridge is worth by replacing with another that cools. JMO's, cut your losses before they begin as your at zero so far.

BrewBeemer - I think you are right. It will just cost me a trip to the dump now. Guess I will keep looking. I was hoping to just have to replace a relay or something.

BrewBeemer - I think you are right. It will just cost me a trip to the dump now. Guess I will keep looking. I was hoping to just have to replace a relay or something.
There's a replacement starter kit with a relay and capacitor, this app $14-$20, question is, it worth it? Cut your losses grab one that runs. I see kitchen remodels with a few to 30 year old fridge at the curb with "runs & free".
I'm the king of pack rats and curb finds.

Back