Beer and guns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're planning on getting over there about 12-12:30 tomorrow. Probably spend some time at the action range, and some at the utility range.

With the scope moved back towards the stock more, it should be even better. I need to check the irons, since I moved the rear sight far forward. For a good priced handguard (like mine) check with Rick Hann (HOF) out of Nashua (right near exit 5, from rt.3)... As for the job front, got some really good prospects right now. Got my fingers crossed that one of them pans out. Most are actually in NH too, which mean no state income tax. :rockin:

BTW, the handguard I got on my AR was under $50. Less than the MagPul item when I got that at Blackwater (they charged $75).

You going to the gun show this weekend? If you want to go up, there's a truck-pool spot open (a friend's truck, so room for more than two). You might even get to see his 300 Blackout pistol. :D

Thanks for the tip. I'll be away all weekend at my buddies lake house, so no gun show. I still need to get to one eventually.

sweed said:
Bumping this!
I finally finished my AR build. My group buy code red lower got messed up. We got refunds and I bought a spikes. Everything else is pretty much Windham weaponry. I changed out the hand guard to a magpul moe, utg rear buis. All I need is a good scope. I need to shoot it and I don't have time!

Nice looking build. I'd add a new grip to the list with that scope of things to get for it. But that is just me, I hate that stupid finger detent on the standard grip, it always wears into my ring finger. After a few hundred rounds I get a blister if I'm not gloved up or have my finger taped. So it's ergo grips for me.

whoaru99 said:
What sort of scope are you looking for? I put a Nikon P-223 (fixed 3x32) on my M4-style carbine. Seems to work good...but by the same token it's not an ACOG. 'Course, the cost was a fraction of ACOG as well.

Yeah I like Nikon for reasonably priced scopes. I have the M223 3-12x42, I like to do my work at range :) but have a red dot I can toss on if need be.

nothing like going out right before you brew and let a few clips fly into random POS bottles with screw top lids. My perferred Concealed cary is a FNP9M in a paddle holster with an attached clip slot for a back up clip. I have also carried a Sig Sauer .357 but just found it didn't like my belly band holster very much.

Don't even know, it's a whole new game for me. I'll figure out out.

Golddiggie, the magpul hand guard is just for now, simple. I really liked your quad rail with the rubber pads, I thought about getting something like that. But I was going with keeping the price down. I can add to it. I remember your scope, because I shot with it and liked it, haha. I hope to get out tomorrow to shoot at Pelham. Where are you guys shooting?

Btw, you find a job yet?

Get a scope from Primary Arms. Yes they are knockoffs and made in China (what isn't nowadays?) but they are actually very high quality and do the job well!

Nice looking build. I'd add a new grip to the list with that scope of things to get for it. But that is just me, I hate that stupid finger detent on the standard grip, it always wears into my ring finger. After a few hundred rounds I get a blister if I'm not gloved up or have my finger taped. So it's ergo grips for me.

IMO/IME, you cannot beat a Hogue grip. Especially at $14.25 (free shipping if you have Amazon Prime).

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting closer to having my 300 Blackout pistol finished. Just need the barrel and muzzle device. I anodized the lower yesterday. Here it is with the LPK installed along with the pistol buffer tube and upper attached:

AR_pistol_mostly_assembled.jpg

I'm liking the two tone effect on this build. Going to get some of the dye other people use (for other colors) as well as mix up the black I have. Will give me more options for coloring the aluminum.

I don't have the trigger guard installed yet, since I'm going to look into using screws for the pin. That way I can change it out [easily] later on if I wish.

I always wanted to paint those blaze orange muzzle caps on my real guns. No,,No it's just a toy, look it's got the cap.

Not surprised you want to do that in Chicago... Since I live in a free state, I don't have to worry at all.

We went to a pig roast and car shoot not that long ago. When the fire dept. had to come put the mini-van out (it caught fire) the police were also there. Some of them were walking around checking out what people had out (on tables and such)... They were grinning ear to ear as we showed them some of what we brought that day.
Now, if we had been in MA, not NH, most (if not all) of us would have been arrested. Never mind we weren't doing anything wrong.

Looking forward to the pumpkin shoot coming up November 2nd.

Ya know the rest of IL is not that bad. Their has been no registration of firearms or restrictions of what you can buy (for the most part). It sounds stupid, but since Obama took office, I stopped shooting. In some backwards ass fashion he caused the mass panic of buying of gun's and ammo that drove the price up, driving me out of shooting. I didn't see that one coming. I'm not totally out, I still go hunting. One day the price of ammo will come back down.

mikescooling said:
Ya know the rest of IL is not that bad. Their has been no registration of firearms or restrictions of what you can buy (for the most part). It sounds stupid, but since Obama took office, I stopped shooting. In some backwards ass fashion he caused the mass panic of buying of gun's and ammo that drove the price up, driving me out of shooting. I didn't see that one coming. I'm not totally out, I still go hunting. One day the price of ammo will come back down.

As soon as the anointed one is out of office and Ted Cruz is sworn in. God help is if her thighness Clinton is elected.

Golddiggie said:
The country could be heading towards a full 'reset' depending on what happens with the next election. I don't plan on getting caught with my pants down in that case.

A full reset may be what we need. But I won't be caught with my pants down either.

Not surprised you want to do that in Chicago... Since I live in a free state, I don't have to worry at all.

We went to a pig roast and car shoot not that long ago. When the fire dept. had to come put the mini-van out (it caught fire) the police were also there. Some of them were walking around checking out what people had out (on tables and such)... They were grinning ear to ear as we showed them some of what we brought that day.
Now, if we had been in MA, not NH, most (if not all) of us would have been arrested. Never mind we weren't doing anything wrong.

Looking forward to the pumpkin shoot coming up November 2nd.

I think I'll be going to that shoot since I missed it last year. I would bring my gf, but she'll be away. We'll be shooting this weekend. I still need to figure out what caliber would be best for her.

I think I'll be going to that shoot since I missed it last year. I would bring my gf, but she'll be away. We'll be shooting this weekend. I still need to figure out what caliber would be best for her.

How experienced is she? Because I would take mine out and probably just let her run wild with a .22, if she would ever go to the range with me.

How experienced is she? Because I would take mine out and probably just let her run wild with a .22, if she would ever go to the range with me.

She has only shot my Marlin .22. And wants to go again. She wants a gun, so we have to figure out where she feels most comfortable. She's got small hands, so that'll come into play. She's not afraid to shoot anything and wants to shoot my AR, haha

We were shooting at my parents' place and I had my mother shoot my Ruger MKIII. That little 22 inspired her to get one of her own and they both now have their CCP. They've upgraded to bigger guns, but those 22's are FUN.

Now if I could only find 22 on the shelves somewhere :drunk:

Could have the other 80% lowers of mine machined by this time next week. That's four more AR15 lowers that will be ready for parts and to have firearms built up around them. I might make a second one into a pistol lower and the other three into rifle lowers. Might keep one at 80% and see about selling it.

Looking forward to anodizing the ones I do complete.

She's got small hands, so that'll come into play.

Same with my wife. Tried a lot of pistols and found she was comfortable shooting two.

She didn't like the boxy grip on most Glocks or the stiffness of others when cycling the slide. She bought a Walther P99 SC in 9mm.

Revolvers. She is happy with the grip on my Colt Det. Special in .38Spl.

Only way to be sure is have her try a bunch and let her decide. I can't understand why a lot of guys push their wives in .22 or .380's when with a little training most women can handle 9mm and above with no problem. (even better than a lot of guys I know..LOL)

Glad to see she is on board with what is a great way to spend time.

bosco

Nothing is more American than mixing beer and guns.

Here are a few of mine:

IMG_3630_zpse4349c54.jpg

IMG_3623_zpsbabd71ac.jpg

IMG_3228_zps8f547379.jpg

IMG_2933.jpg

6b3bef8c.jpg

84e85a18-1.jpg

39322_721418873696_4478373_n.jpg

I like class III, and I really love to shoot .22s.

300 Blackout pistol (10.5" black stainless barrel) is complete...
300_Blackout_pistol_completed.jpg

Initial carry case for it...
300_Blackout_pistol_Guitar_case.jpg

Yes, that's a guitar case. I got it for pretty cheap ($40) and only had to modify it slightly. Basically, I removed styrofoam in a small section between where the guitar body would sit and a storage pocket under where the neck would rest. Removed the door for the storage pocket too. I just used some glue to secure some black fabric under the liner I had trimmed and glued the liner back over it (so that there was no styrofoam showing at all). The removed material helps hold the hand guard in position in the case. So it won't move around in transit.

With the JP Enterprise springs in the FCG, the pull is nice. I also did part of a 50 cent trigger job to take up a lot of the creep in the trigger.

The lower is one that I completed (from an 80% lower) and anodized at home. I wanted the two tone look, that I got. Once I machine the rest of the lowers (I have three forged and one billet 80% lowers left) I'll be able to build them up. I picked up some dye to use on those too.

Might be pretty cool to pair them by country of origin.

For example, Heineken and a Sig Sauer. Or, a Peroni and a Berretta. You get the idea....

Well usually I don't like the big guns like shot guns or rifles but dear you collection is really awesome. I love them because they are beautiful with the latest technology. Thanks for sharing, i have a Glock .22 pistol but I love this one. here is the picture.

GLOCK1.jpg

I just got into guns 2 years ago when I started hunting. So far I have:
Remington 870 12G with SureShot stock
Marlin Model 60 .22
Heritage Rough Ryder Combo
Beretta Nano 9mm for a carry weapon

Next on the list
Core AR15
Auto Shotgun
Full Size hand gun of some kind
Ruger MKII or III.
.17 HMR

Then, who knows. There's just so much cool stuff.

I've been thinking about a .17 also, but I need to buy another hunting rifle first. I've hunting mostly with a .30-06 my whole life but I don't want to deal with the recoil anymore now that I've been shooting more frequently. I'm thinking about a .243 or a .270.

Look into 300 Blackout... Not much more recoil than a .223/5.56 NATO, but it's a 7.62mm projectile (7.62x35). Get a 1 in 8 twist barrel and you'll be doing well. You can also use your .223 brass to make the cases to use and reload your own. We've been doing that and figure out costs are under $0.30 per round (making our own cases). You can get projectiles ranging from 100 grain all the way up to 220 and 240 grain. You, basically, can use any .308 projectile. Stay at 150 grain (or lower) and you're supersonic. If you already have an AR15, then just build up a new upper for that with the 300 Blackout barrel and muzzle device (only difference between them). You can even use your existing BCG and charging handle. MAS Defense has barrels at a good rate (got mine from them) and ship out fast.

I have a quick question....
I recently inherited several old shotguns. I've always liked shotguns, and previously owned 2, but besides how to shoot them, what size shells they take, and how to clean them, I really know nothing about them. I'd like to know more about the history of them. Is there any sort of database where you can put in a gun's serial # and find out the year it was produced? Out of the 7 I inherited, 3 of them have serial #'s on them, or at least, what I believe are serial #s. Unfortunately, out of the 7, I'm really only comfortable shooting 4 of them. The other 3 are very old and quite possibly unsafe.

I have a quick question....
I recently inherited several old shotguns. I've always liked shotguns, and previously owned 2, but besides how to shoot them, what size shells they take, and how to clean them, I really know nothing about them. I'd like to know more about the history of them. Is there any sort of database where you can put in a gun's serial # and find out the year it was produced? Out of the 7 I inherited, 3 of them have serial #'s on them, or at least, what I believe are serial #s. Unfortunately, out of the 7, I'm really only comfortable shooting 4 of them. The other 3 are very old and quite possibly unsafe.

You should be able to locate maker's marks/names on them that you can google. Depending on who made them, there could be reference for serial number spans for when they were actually made... Start with google. If no joy there, see if there's a store in your area that will help you out. Or one that won't charge you to figure out what they are.

Look into 300 Blackout... Not much more recoil than a .223/5.56 NATO, but it's a 7.62mm projectile (7.62x35). Get a 1 in 8 twist barrel and you'll be doing well. You can also use your .223 brass to make the cases to use and reload your own. We've been doing that and figure out costs are under $0.30 per round (making our own cases). You can get projectiles ranging from 100 grain all the way up to 220 and 240 grain. You, basically, can use any .308 projectile. Stay at 150 grain (or lower) and you're supersonic. If you already have an AR15, then just build up a new upper for that with the 300 Blackout barrel and muzzle device (only difference between them). You can even use your existing BCG and charging handle. MAS Defense has barrels at a good rate (got mine from them) and ship out fast.

I'm going to be looking at bolt actions for this next rifle. Not that's particularly care much, but I'm already pushing it with the new laws here. ;)

I'm considering a Ruger 77 or another Remington 700. I like those platforms for hunting.

I'm going to be looking at bolt actions for this next rifle. Not that's particularly care much, but I'm already pushing it with the new laws here. ;)

I'm considering a Ruger 77 or another Remington 700. I like those platforms for hunting.

Forgot you're in NY state... Must seriously suck. You can only imagine how glad I am to be in NH these days. None of that NY, CT, CA, MA, RI, etc. crap going on. Also enjoy having zero knife laws blocking me... :D

8 more years... Maybe slightly more to pad my pension, but anytime after the next 8 I'm out.

We're thinking PA or NH. She's sour to NH because of the colder weather, but I wanted Maine so maybe I can leverage it hard to get NH. :D

8 more years... Maybe slightly more to pad my pension, but anytime after the next 8 I'm out.

We're thinking PA or NH. She's sour to NH because of the colder weather, but I wanted Maine so maybe I can leverage it hard to get NH. :D

It's not that much colder in NH... You can get more land for your dollars if you look in the right areas. Get a place with fireplaces and/or some burning stoves and you'll have cheap heat. She may not know what to do with all the freedom though. I'm pretty sure you'll want to leave any of those NY compliance magazines in NY state and get some standard capacity ones the moment you step into NH...

Like I said, I'm already pushing it. Not much I'll need to buy when I leave. :D But I will anyway!

What does 'need' have to do with this?? When she starts to ride your ass (in a way you don't like :eek:) just remind her that she doesn't need that many pairs of shoes (how many dozen does she have?).

Back