Beer suggestions for a birthday party

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSmurf78

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
So my 30th bday party is coming up, and my friends suggested having a couple 1/4 barrel or 1/6ths for the party. I'll be bringing some of my home brew, but I need some idea's for the kegs.

I'm looking for something a little different and fun for people to try. I probably should keep the ABV down around 7-8 or so though, considering the crowd. :drunk:

Initially, we were thinking Double bastard for one of the kegs, but it's unavailable. Same goes for the Abyss, plus the wife thought that they may be too strong. Same goes with Yeti by Great Divide.

Some other options that came up was a Russian River beer, but I don't know how may people would be into a Salvation or something like that. I also was thinking something maybe by North Coast, but not sure what would be good for a party.

So anyways, through out suggestions about what you like to drink that might be a little out there. :) Malty over hoppy, so no hop bombs like Ruination, and sours probably wouldn't go over so well, but otherwise throw out some suggestions.

Thanks!
Drew

Jesus! I want to be at the party with a Yeti keg!.... :drunk:

Anyways, I dont know where you are. It's hard to say what kegs you can even get without knowing your geographic location.

That being said I've had great success with Three Floyds Robert the Bruce (Scotch Ale)

Haha, sorry, I should have been more specific.

I'm in the Seattle area. My friends are hosting the party, and one owns a speciality bottle shop, and the other has worked for a local distributor for years. Both have really good tasts and are good and finding me really cool obscure beers :).

Like for my wedding eariler this year, we had Snoqulmie Wildcat IPA and Fuller's ESB (again, my other choices got knocked down as being too strong by the now wife), along with a case of Yeti in bottles. :)

Good times.

Here's some of what I've come up with recently.

The Abyss - Probably can't get it, Kim will say it's too strong
Either Pliny (younger or elder) - Would be fun, though hoppy, again, Kim will say it's too strong.
Stone Russian Stout - Probably too dark, again, Kim will say it's too strong.
Port Brewings Old Viscosity - Like the Russian river, too dark and Kim will say it's too strong.
Russian River ales - Not sure how they would be received, and Kim will say they're too strong.
Barley wine - Maybe like Old Ruffian or Gnarley but Kim will say that it's too strong
North Coast - I think Kim will say they're too strong
Silver City Fat Bastard - I bet this would be good, especially their oaked version, but Kim will say that it's too strong
Old Chub - This would be fun, but I've only ever seen it in cans, oh, and at 8%, kim will say it's too strong

Possibles:
New Belgian 1554 - Lower abv, so Kim might approve of it :)
Fullers 1845 - This would be another good ale, oh and 6.3%, it might meet kim's approval :)

Nightwatch Dark Ale? It is dark and tastes good, but isn't too high on the ABV.

You have Elysian there and you could take advantage of that. They're awesome.

Maybe a Deschutes beer would work out too. Mirror Pond is a good pale, Black Butte is good as well. In this sort of situation, you'll want to have a couple of solid but more middle of the road offerings and then something more interesting. For the nerds.

Being a fellow married guy (whose 31) I understand you being deferential to the wife (makes for a happy marriage). However, damn the torpedoes son! It's YOUR birthday! How about you grab something you'd really like (even though it may be too strong for some taste) and another more crowd friendly beer or 2. Y

ou only turn 30 once! (Unless you're a woman, then you're 29 indefinetly.) ;)

You might be able to get a good price buying locally - I am in Seattle, too and maybe a Pike (Kiltlifter or XXXXX stout) or Maritime (they make a decent red ale) beer would go over well.

But above all - get something you like.

Happy early birthday.

p.s. - PM with directions and date;)

Back