Tap VS Bottled Water???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at a convention in Phoenix about five years years ago & they were handing out bottles of "Phoenix Tap Water". Really, that's what the label said in large friendly letters. Later that day, a woman was screaming at the people working the registration table because they would not give her more bottled water. She flat refused to believe it was just tap water.

For me living in Los Angeles, I've never had a problem with the tap water. At the beginning I brewed with bottled water, but I haven't noticed a difference and the cost wasn't worth it.

As for the fitness water craze, skip it, Sass says, noting that fitness and specialty waters with not give an athlete an advantage or edge. In fact, vitamin-fortified waters may pose a risk for over-supplementation.

"Think of your one-a-day vitamin," says Sass. "Some of these waters are multi-vitamins in a bottle, so read the label and compare with the rest of your daily intake, including food," she advises.

Wow, just substitute tap water with fitness water and you can give up solid food. Enjoy your meals a pint at a time.

Unclesamskid said:
Wow, just substitute tap water with fitness water and you can give up solid food. Enjoy your meals a pint at a time.

especially if you are brewing stout! :rockin:

I've always heard the best way to test if your tap water makes good beer is to make beer with it and see if it tastes good. Fortunately for me, my tap water makes for good beer. I do filter it though.

EdWort said:
I've always heard the best way to test if your tap water makes good beer is to make beer with it and see if it tastes good.

I like your thought process. Simple and straight forward. :D

I've been saying it for years. I used to design water systems. And I'd tell them, if they didn't like the taste of the tap water, just use an activated carbon filter.

If I buy bottled water, its either because I forgot my reusable bottle and I want some water or its for brewing. My town's water tastes good, but it is extremely hard, especially in the summer when it is supplemented with creek water.

Back