Words and phrases I hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paradigm shift & Shifting paradigms.... I prefer double-clutching 4 nickels to either of those phrases...

I had an instructor in college that used 'Paradigm Shift' frequently. One day before class, I waited outside with 2 rolls of nickels, and gave them out to select class mates - four each. The first time he mentioned 'Paradigm' in a lecture, well I think you can figure out the rest. Fortunately for my GPA, he was very good natured about getting pelted with nickels in the middle of a lecture.

paradig'm!

It's sad. Once upon a time, "paradigm shift" was a meaningful, sensible concept. Now any time anyone tries something slightly different, it's a paradigm shift.

Paradigm shift & Shifting paradigms.... I prefer double-clutching 4 nickels to either of those phrases...

I had an instructor in college that used 'Paradigm Shift' frequently. One day before class, I waited outside with 2 rolls of nickels, and gave them out to select class mates - four each. The first time he mentioned 'Paradigm' in a lecture, well I think you can figure out the rest. Fortunately for my GPA, he was very good natured about getting pelted with nickels in the middle of a lecture.

What's wrong with the phrase? I'm not following.

"The quartz movement caused a paradigm shift in the Swiss-dominated watchmaking industry."

Or are you talking about when it's used incorrect?

Oh .....tis cold in the garage and I must pee. There are several plastic cups.....they contain the sought after penisweisen.

Now trending
Please press 1 for English
follow us on facebook
warsh instead of wash
We have line of sight to that
it can't be done
Welcome to Walmart
It's the ______________ fault (insert Republican's or Democrat's)
fiscal cliff
Oh you are from Chicago

Airplanedoc said:
Now trending
Please press 1 for English
follow us on facebook
warsh instead of wash
We have line of sight to that
it can't be done
Welcome to Walmart
It's the ______________ fault (insert Republican's or Democrat's)
fiscal cliff
Oh you are from Chicago

What does "now trending" mean?

paradig'm!

It's sad. Once upon a time, "paradigm shift" was a meaningful, sensible concept. Now any time anyone tries something slightly different, it's a paradigm shift.

Egzackaleckalee.

"The use of sea salt on Wendy's French Fries caused a paradigm shift in the fast food industry. "

Versus:

"The use of nanotechnology and micro robotics has caused a paradigm shift in what can be accomplished in the repairing of neural damage from strokes and aneurysms."

[edit] And, I feel that if you are going to use the term paradigm shift, you should be able to explain cogently why it's a paradigm shift.

I am pretty sure this one has been covered. I probably just didn't go back far enough in the thread, "hashtag." Not the symbol though (#) For some reason the word said out loud just irritates me. Especially now that it is all over the news. And tonight more news about the fiscal cliff, but enough of that. If you really care then this story is now trending at "HASH TAG" fiscalcliff. Now back to more important news... Kim kardashian is pregnant. Maybe it is because I am not on twitter yet(maybe never will be) and don't care much for it? Anyone else?

"hashtag" bugs me because the "tag" part is superfluous. Just say "hash StupidCelebrityCouple" (or "sharp InsipidNewsItem" if you grew up speaking LISP)

"hashtag" bugs me because the "tag" part is superfluous. Just say "hash StupidCelebrityCouple" (or "sharp InsipidNewsItem" if you grew up speaking LISP)

I also don't care for any of the social media stuff, and the "hashtag" business is VERY annoying. I say we irritate them back and call it "pound sign", as it had been for years, until these "cool" people changed it on us.

I also don't care for any of the social media stuff, and the "hashtag" business is VERY annoying. I say we irritate them back and call it "pound sign", as it had been for years, until these "cool" people changed it on us.

I can't call it "pound" any more. If only because I don't want to think about the phrase, "pound KimKardashian"

:fro:

Lgaddy44 said:

When I first heard that hashtag nonsense I remember thinking" What the hell is a hashtag? That looks like a pound sign." I agree, everyone who hates it should start calling it a pound sign just to irritate all the hashtag people.
I don't do Facebook and twitter so all that stuff is annoying to me.

I have started to notice one particular member is a trouble maker/instigator

(Pound sign)creamy

"That being said," or "That said", or "Having said that" ... just say it already!!

"IMO" used six or seven times in a paragraph.

"I'm a Foodie."

"Hands Down" when describing how great something is.

"SWMBO", or when women refer to their husbands as, "Hubby".

"Alternate side parking is in effect." (A NYC thing) ...Just tell us when it's not in effect, because it always seems to be!

I also dislike, "Press 1 for English"... No bish, Press 2 for Spanish... I shouldn't have to press anything for English!

"I'm a Foodie."

Agree. "Foodie" just gives me the creeps.

Re: "IMO," there are some who argue that phrases like that are "obvious" and should never be used (because what other opinion could you be expressing?), but I think it's ok occasionally. When you start by making factual statements, then switch to opinions, giving a clue to the reader is worthwhile. Also, if your opinion could be mistaken for a factual statement, it's ok.

But if you're doing it more than once in a while.... you suck (IMO).

Ewe just don't know me very well. Some of my threads will change your life.

Another word I dislike, particularly when it is used by people who (incorrectly) assume they are more intelligent than you... "notwithstanding". Just inundates me with the stench of "I just bought a thesaurus"

"Alternate side parking is in effect." (A NYC thing) ...Just tell us when it's not in effect, because it always seems to be!

I've lived and worked in NYC for 10 years now, and I chuckle every time the MTA announces that I should speak up if I see "a suspicious package" on the train. In my head, every time, I say "I got yer suspicious package right HERE!"

Creamy I'm just "busting balls" - who does that one bother?

Sorry to the people who hate "swmbo" but I still love that acronym. You know what made me sad though? Mine was told the meaning and decided she also loves it. She sees me typing it on my phone. "What did you just call me?" I break it down. "Oh ok, I can be one of those," she says. Then tells her friend on the phone, "listen to this I am a sw, what am I again? She who... (puts the acronym together in her head) Swmbo!" It means...

I walked away shaking my head.

This brings me back on topic
SMH - an acronym I don't like.

I also find that things like SMH and other pop culture/social media type acronyms, all annoy me less when said by women rather than men. Just doesn't seem natural for guys to be saying these things I guess?

And creamy really? Ewe are still on that whole mutton thing?

I am pretty sure this one has been covered. I probably just didn't go back far enough in the thread, "hashtag." Not the symbol though (#) For some reason the word said out loud just irritates me. Especially now that it is all over the news. And tonight more news about the fiscal cliff, but enough of that. If you really care then this story is now trending at "HASH TAG" fiscalcliff. Now back to more important news... Kim kardashian is pregnant. Maybe it is because I am not on twitter yet(maybe never will be) and don't care much for it? Anyone else?

Not really.

I work in IT, Unix administration in particular, and there are a couple terms that just won't go away after 50 years of use. They tend to throw our users for a loop when we tell them to press em.

Code:
!     <--- "bang"
#     <--- "pound"
/     <--- "whack"
*     <--- "splat"
|     <--- "pipe"

There's probably others I can't think of right this moment.

How does everyone feel about "I'm just busting your onions" or "Stop busting my onions"

Trying to whittle out a lot of the profanity I use in a day, but dont want to replace something vulgar with something annoying.

Code:
!     <--- "bang"
#     <--- "pound"
/     <--- "whack"
*     <--- "splat"
|     <--- "pipe"

Among computer scientists who use LISP or Scheme, "#" is traditionally pronounced "sharp." (In these languages, the literals for true and false are "#t" and "#f," which are spoken as "sharp-t" and "sharp-f.") Apparently the CS guys were more musicians than grocers.

I grew up calling it "pound," but I can't get away from thinking "sharp" any more.

"That being said," or "That said", or "Having said that" ... just say it already!!

"I'm a Foodie."

"Hands Down" when describing how great something is.

"SWMBO", or when women refer to their husbands as, "Hubby".

I also dislike, "Press 1 for English"... No bish, Press 2 for Spanish... I shouldn't have to press anything for English!

Haha, I just saw these on another website...

&#8220;No offense, but&#8221; / &#8221;Not to sound racist, but...&#8221; (STOP right there, because you're about to do just that!)

Portmanteaus (chillax, sexting, bromance, ginormous)... or those stupid weather channel storm names like, Snowmageddon 2013!!

Celebrity portmanteaus (&#8220;Brangelina,&#8221; &#8220;Tomkat&#8221;)

&#8220;Irregardless&#8221; because it's not a real word, yet people think it is.

&#8220;Let&#8217;s agree to disagree&#8221; (Sorry, but it doesn&#8217;t work like that!)

"Just Sayin&#8217;" (People think that affixing this to the end of their comment dilutes the blunt impact of their horrible opinions).

"It Is What It Is."

"You know what I mean?"

Overused phrases from movies that have somehow found their way into normal serious dialogue, such as "I'm not mad at you, I'm just disappointed", or "You complete me", or "It's not you... It's me."

Any catchphrase from "Friends," "Martin," or "Saturday Night Live" pre-2006

Monty Python quotations. STOP! Don't say it... Don't even think about saying it... especially if you're planning on adding a poor British accent to go along with it!

"Literally" (used incorrectly) ...or anything with &#8220;literally&#8221; or "virtually" in it

When people try to place what they think to be a cool foreign quote in a conversation where it makes absolutely no sense. Examples: C'est la vie or Carpe Diem.

Whenever anyone says, "When in Rome..."

&#8220;Awesomesauce&#8221;

"Cork Fee"

"Epic" or "FAIL", or worse yet "Epic Fail"

"Swagg"

"My bad"

"Nuff said"

"K THANX BYE"

"This is unacceptable"

You get this a lot from lowlevel management types who think an awful lot more of themselves than is warranted.

Back