Words and phrases I hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Part of the problem is that it's a double negative. "Respect me. I'm a grown assed man" is how that sentence logically should be phrased, using the formal definition of disrespect.

When used like in your example, it's not just poor phrasing or verbing a noun, there's a shift in the meaning. "Don't disrespect me" is much more specific, it's more like saying, "Don't mock me." It doesn't really mean "Hold me in a feeling of deep admiration," which is the dictionary definition of "Respect me."

Also, http://xkcd.com/37/

Yep

So respect can be a noun or a verb. I don't think the validity of respect as a verb in a sentence like, "I respect him" has anything to do with a change in times. It works whether used in 1952 or 2013.

As I said in my edit (which you happened to leave out of the quote box), respect is a noun or a verb, but in the past was more common as a noun

But we are not talking about the word respect. We are talking about the word disrespect. In keeping with the thread title, disrespect is a word or phrase that I hate.

And the reemergence of the word disrespect is a fairly recent phenomenon.
It has everything to do with the change of the times.

Not always... You could be very humble and simply passionate about food, therefore considering yourself a "Foodie". I think I just don't like the word itself more... like a wife referring to her husband as "Hubby"

This is certainly a factor for me as well. It certainly doesn't help that I picture a ditzy celebrity chef bubbling about how she's a "foodie" whenever I think of the word.

Thinking more about it, there is a place for a word that describes someone who has a hobbyist's interest in food, with emphasis more on the adventure than the type of high quality that "gourmet" implies. There are a few similar words in my thesaurus---gastronome and epicure in particular---but they still have a bit of an upper crust connotation that "foodie" doesn't carry as much.

It also bugs me because I probably do fit the description (interested in food as something of a hobby), but I can't bring myself to identify with the word.

CreamyGoodness said:
What gets me isnt so much the "foodies" as the out and proud "picky eaters". The type who will log onto epicurious to leave an aghast comment about someone who dared post a recipe for steak and kidney pie because it "grosses normal people out." The people who proudly tell the world how they only eat 3 things. The complete strangers on facebook who post "no thanks" when you post a picture of something you made on facebook. I have nothing to say to these people. At this point when people tell me proudly they are "picky eaters" I give them the same blank smile I give those who proudly say "I'm a racist!" and back out of the conversation.

My FIL is a super picky eater but says he's not the worst thing is how rude picky eaters are like you were saying. My wife spent a lot of time make eggplant parmigne for her mother to try my FIL took one look at it then looked at my wife and said " I don't like this go make me a sandwich" I said " you haven't even tried it" my wife told him to go make his own sandwich if that's what he wanted and that's what he did. I was pissed.

My two cents(surely that will make someone's list) about the foodie thing: anyone who doesn't eat something not because they don't like it, but simply for fear of its impact on their "reputation," like the McDonalds example someone gave earlier, is an uptight idiot, who is probably missing out on a lot of good things in life.

This is certainly a factor for me as well. It certainly doesn't help that I picture a ditzy celebrity chef bubbling about how she's a "foodie" whenever I think of the word.

Well, you can think of Rachael Ray if you want, but she is not a chef :) - I would never use the word "Foodie" to describe an actual chef. Rather, it's someone who's eager about food and would probably like to be a chef, but is far from it. Whether they are humble or snooty about it is a completely different argument.

My main gripe (other than it's a stupid word) is more about people calling themselves a Foodie, but having absolutely no idea. Being adventurous with food does not make you more knowledgeable about it, or better at preparing it. It's like claiming you are a Comic Genius when you told a few jokes to your friends and family, but your jokes suck and you never did stand-up. So it's demeaning to real, pro-comedians to call yourself any variation of comedian.

My wife has tried steak tartare 3 times, and once was at a business dinner at Per Se. The third time she actually apologized, as if I would think less of her, and said "James... I just dont like it." This makes the exact opposite point. Pretending to LIKE something you don't like, after actually trying it, in order to garner favor with an elite "foodie crowd" would be obnoxious as well.

Getting back to the words "respect" and "disrespect" however... I have noticed that very often been used in regards to obedience. When my dad would say I was "disrespecting" him, what he meant was that I was challenging his decision. Thats his prerogative and job as a father, to make decisions, but he was still bastardizing the word.

Well, you can think of Rachael Ray if you want, but she is not a chef :)

Oh god, believe me I don't want to... but that's the sort of connotation "foodie" has for me.

Whether they are humble or snooty about it is a completely different argument.

Yes, but in my experience, there's a stronger connection between these than there "should" be.

My main gripe (other than it's a stupid word) is more about people calling themselves a Foodie, but having absolutely no idea.

We're in agreement here for the most part.

Getting back to the words "respect" and "disrespect" however... I have noticed that very often been used in regards to obedience. When my dad would say I was "disrespecting" him, what he meant was that I was challenging his decision. Thats his prerogative and job as a father, to make decisions, but he was still bastardizing the word.

Yeah, that's another sense (I almost included "Don't disobey me" as a second sense, along with "mock"). In both cases, the offensive act is much more concrete than "respect."

In your case, I think the correct phrase is, "Respect my authoritah!" :D

Steak tartare.. Had to google it. What an absolutely hideous dish. I'm surprised the health inspectors even permit restaurants to sell such a thing. It's E.Coli and Salmonella just waiting to happen.

It also bugs me because I probably do fit the description (interested in food as something of a hobby), but I can't bring myself to identify with the word.

I feel the same way. I have a friend who calls herself a foodie and runs a great coffee shop and her husband, who is Q Certified, runs a coffee roasting company. They have every right to be snobby when it comes to food and drink, but I think "foodie" makes them sound like ameteurs. If I didn't already know them, it would probably make me dismiss a lot of their opinions.

My main gripe (other than it's a stupid word) is more about people calling themselves a Foodie, but having absolutely no idea. Being adventurous with food does not make you more knowledgeable about it, or better at preparing it. It's like claiming you are a Comic Genius when you told a few jokes to your friends and family, but your jokes suck and you never did stand-up. So it's demeaning to real, pro-comedians to call yourself any variation of comedian.

That's similar to how I was comparing it in my head, but with engineers. I find the field of engineering fascinating, and I'm hoping to go back to school to get a degree and maybe someday become a Professional Engineer. If somebody showed me the plans for the airplane hangar they want to build in their back yard, I'm not going to look at them and say "Looks good to me. And I'm an Engineerie, so you can trust me. ;)

Back to the OP question, here's a phrase that really chaps my @$$: "Your call is important to us; please stay on the line and a representative will be with you shortly."

robertfraser said:
+1! (Unless "+1!" is now hackneyed and overused....)

The +1 thing does kinda annoy me and for dumb reason. Not to pick on you I hadn't thought of it till you used that. I don't like it because its lazy instead of +1 I would like to see. " I agree my situation is similar xxx" or " I agree I hate that stupid racial ray" etc. I also hate the "word" sub. Like when a awesome new thread comes out and some responds with just sub. Atleast make a small comment or just hit the subscribe button.

Milk jugs. I just read a thread about fermenting in milk jugs and damn that is not what I figure milk jugs to be.

HoppyDaze said:
I hate it when the conversation goes from words or phrases you hate to message board pet peeves.

I like when people tell there irrational dislikes it makes me feel a little more normal for irrational hatred

Brother from another mother. If you share a father, he's your half-brother. If you don't, he's not your brother. Half-wit.

To die for, when describing food/drink.

Excessive use of "for sure" where it starts to come out as "fershur".

"Mmkay" instead of okay.

Anything relating to Facebook.

Anything relating to Facebook.

attachment.php
zeg likes this.

fbthumb.png

Most euphemisms make me cringe. I occasionally use them, and I feel dirtier than if I just said the real thing. I would much rather say what I mean than spew watered-down, sugar-coated drivel. You should see the looks on some people's faces when my two-year-old "makes a mess in his pants" and says "daddy, get the feces off." :D

The only exceptions for me are euphemisms that are descriptive and funny like "blow chunks" or "bury the sausage" for example.

Cakewalk
"a fine how do you do"
"... and Bob's your uncle"
and excessive use of "you know what I mean?" "y'know what I'm sayin" or "nyamean"

I hate the word Arse. Please don't use it ever in writing, or especially in speech. Being British or Australian shouldn't matter either. You all know what an Ass is, and it's not a Donkey.

I hate it when people, after finding out I'm Scottish, say "I'm Irish", or "I'm Italian" etc. I always ask where they were born and they'll tell me America, then I'll ask where they're parents are from and generally it goes on until I find out one member of their family is from said country and it's usually from around 4 generations back.

Some people over here seem to want to be from 'somewhere' and not America!

I hate the word Arse. Please don't use it ever in writing, or especially in speech. Being British or Australian shouldn't matter either. You all know what an Ass is, and it's not a Donkey.

I want to find a polite way to break their faces when I hear grown adults use "donkey" to refer to buttocks. If you really have to use a euphemism, don't use one that sounds like you're in the third grade. I was talking with a coworker today, trying to explain that ass and donkey aren't the same thing. A donkey is a type of ass, but there are about a dozen other types of asses that aren't donkeys. "Kiss my donkey?" I'll kiss your face with my fist. *series of deep breaths* I'm OK. I'm calm.

"Minty" when describing condition of something.

I always want to reply, "Is it spearminty or pepperminty?".

I've heard before from British people that "arse" really was the original term, and for whatever reason, the Americans bastardized it to "ass".

Then again, these are the same people who add an extra i to aluminum to pronounce it "aluminium", so I'm not sure they are to be trusted. :D

Back