New Glarus Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landhoney

Reaction score
I just exchanged a bunch of beers with a guy from beeradvocate.com, I sent him a bunch of Weyerbacher stuff he couldn't get and he sent me some New Glarus stuff. I was worried I'd be sending beers and he would not send any back, but he did and actually sent EXTRA beers. I'll post reviews once tried:
2 - Raspberry Tart(750mL)
2 - Belgian Red(750mL)
1 - Unplugged : Belgian Quadrupel
1 - Unplugged : Enigma( sour cherry)
1 - Spotted Cow(cream ale), 1- Hop Hearty IPA, 1- Stone Soup (belgian ale), and 1- Home Town Blond( German Pils)
Homebrew Club meeting is tomorrow night, so I'm going to bring a couple and get others impressions too.

Every one of those is good. I'm not a fan a spotted cow comma you might as well drink a MGD IMO. But the Stone Soup is a very good representation of an abby. Same goes for the IPA. I've talked to many knowable beer people including a pro brewer who say the the Stone Soup is the best they make. I need to try the blond myself maybe this sat. Have fun they do a good job at brewing and the brew master is one of the firm believers in decoction mashing. Thats what makes his beers so good.(Shot at Dude):D

1 down! Many to go. Had a Raspberry Tart last night with SWMBO. Hello raspberry! Strong fruity aroma. Not overly sweet, but quite sweet. All raspberry taste, very slight bitterness - like raspberry bitterness not hop bitterness. Sourness is nice, not overwhelming, balances the sweetness. Good mouthfeel, not syrupy, high carbonation. I liked it a lot for what it was, not a daily or weekly- maybe monthly drinker. Very interesting beer(?) that is all fresh raspberries.

Ran 4 beers by my club tonight.
Hometown Blonde - nice clean pils, slightly sweet finish
Spotted Cow - nice ream ale, easy drinker, corn?, very slighlty sour almost,
Hop Hearty IPA - well put together IPA, toasty, bicuity, piney hops slightly spicy
Enigma- Sour Brown Cherry Ale, oak and smoky, sharp sourness not overpowering

A couple guys really liked the Spotted Cow. My favorite and another guys was the Enigma, really a lot going on in it, very complex but a little disjointed. The IPA was good quality, but not exceptional IMHO. The Blonde was a nice easy drinking pils. Good beers.

I tried the Red the other night. Very tasty. I have a review of the Raspberry Tart in another thread somewhere, I liked it too. Very sweet for a 'Lambic' imo, but tasty.

Back