Dryhop, Gelatin, Cold Crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jawilson20

Reaction score
I dryhopped my IPA after being in the primary for two weeks. Before racking to my keg I would like add gelatin and cold crash it.

How long should it be dryhopped alone before adding gelatin? How long should I allow the gelatin to do its magic before cold crashing? Or can the gelatin work during the cold crash? And lastly, how long should I cold crash?

I've only used Gelatin once, but when I did, I cold crashed at the same time. I like to Cold Crash for 2 days. Also, I would cold crash and use gelatin first, then rack to Secondary and Dry Hop. According to Vinnie Cilurzo from Russian River, Hop Oils will actually stick the yeast cells that are still in suspension. When those yeast cells fall out of suspension it will take those hop oils with them along with any Flavor and Aroma that they have provided. So his advice was to get as much yeast out of the beer as you can to maximize what you get from the Dry Hop.

Not sure if "hop oils" is the correct term but hopefully you get my drift:mug:

IIRC the beer needs to be cold to add the gelatin, or else it all just sinks to the bottom of the carboy. I haven't used it in a long time. You should just search gelatin, there are a bunch of threads about it on here. Realistically, you really don't need the gelatin. Just dry hop for a week and then cold crash for a week. Everything should settle out just fine.

Latest posts

Back