Has anybody cultured Duvel Trappist yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I plan on doing this with Orval. Is one bottle generally enough to startr something like this? Or should I collect dregs from a couple bottles, then combine them for a starter?

I plan on doing this with Orval. Is one bottle generally enough to startr something like this? Or should I collect dregs from a couple bottles, then combine them for a starter?

If you do it right, one bottle should be enough. Of course, with Orval you're not just culturing normal yeast, but brett as well, and that takes longer to develop. A lot of people just use the dregs from ORval to inoculate their beer with the brett that they want and they don't worry about building it up.

I'd be careful. I don't know about Orval, but some belgian breweries bottle condition with lager yeast. Might be something to look into.

Just FYI, Duvel is not a Trappist beer.

TL

Sorry, It was Orval not Duvel.

Orval has Brettomyces?? It did not taste sour in any way. I've never had a lambic but it is not my intent to create one so if this is the case, I'll toss it and throw away the stopper and airlock.

Thanks,
Al

Orval.. makes all the difference. ;)

I'd use the Orval if you like it. Maybe ferment in primary with US-05 and then pitch the dregs of a few bottles in secondary for an extended secondary fermentation. Beers aged with brett are awesome. Brett by itself isn't overly sour, lambics get the sour from bacteria.

I have heard people say that Orval bottles with a different yeast.

Either way, it is rumored that WLP510 is the Orval strain. I would ferement out with that, rack, and then add some brett b. Let that go as far as needed to gain that distinctive brett flavor.

Sorry, It was Orval not Duvel.

Orval has Brettomyces?? It did not taste sour in any way. I've never had a lambic but it is not my intent to create one so if this is the case, I'll toss it and throw away the stopper and airlock.

Thanks,
Al

Yes. There is brett in Orval. Apparently up to 5 strains from the valley where Orval is made.

I have heard people say that Orval bottles with a different yeast.

Either way, it is rumored that WLP510 is the Orval strain. I would ferement out with that, rack, and then add some brett b. Let that go as far as needed to gain that distinctive brett flavor.

Nah, the Orval yeast is in the bottle. However, the brett isn't added until later, so if you pitched from teh dregs, it would turn out differently than if you added it separately.

510 is the Bastogne yeast, right? It will be out in November. It is one of their platinum strains. I am using it for a Stone 4/4/04 clone. :)

Orval.. makes all the difference. ;)

I'd use the Orval if you like it. Maybe ferment in primary with US-05 and then pitch the dregs of a few bottles in secondary for an extended secondary fermentation. Beers aged with brett are awesome. Brett by itself isn't overly sour, lambics get the sour from bacteria.

Good to know about just using the dregs for a secondary fermentation. What about then using the cake from that secondary for an attempt at a sour?

Back