What's an ideal strike for a biab Pilsner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePonchoKid

Reaction score
And what do you think about this for a recipe:

1 lb flaked corn
1 lb buscuit
1 lb vienna
7 lb pilsner
60 min 1oz. NZ motueka (pellet) 6.6% aa
20 min 1oz. " " " " " " " "
2 packs of 37/40 at an ambient of 48F

I'm just after a nice bready pils/lager, with a bit of a kick and slightly on the acidic side

And what do you think about this for a recipe:

1 lb flaked corn
1 lb buscuit
1 lb vienna
7 lb pilsner
60 min 1oz. NZ motueka (pellet) 6.6% aa
20 min 1oz. " " " " " " " "
2 packs of 37/40 at an ambient of 48F

I'm just after a nice bready pils/lager, with a bit of a kick and slightly on the acidic side

I'm a newbie, but I'm going to guess whatever temp is going to get you a 149-155 F mash temp is good. There are tools out there that scientifically help you get the right strike. I play it by ear, which works ok.

At that recipe looks awesome to me.

I think I want it floating around 150-152 by 30 min in to the mash. mash out at 149 would be nice. I think

thanks on the recipe

i took the hop schedule from a supposed labatt blue clone. different hops though.

I'm hoping the 1lb additions will bring some texture, some bready feel. we'll see how she goes :)

150-152F seems like a good mash temp for what you are looking for, but it's hard to say because I don't really know what you're looking for in terms of body.

Be sure to boil that for at least 90 minutes, or else you risk getting detectable levels of DMS due to the excess SMM in the pilsner malt. So, boil it for 30 minutes before your first hops addition.

150-152F seems like a good mash temp for what you are looking for, but it's hard to say because I don't really know what you're looking for in terms of body.

Be sure to boil that for at least 90 minutes, or else you risk getting detectable levels of DMS due to the excess SMM in the pilsner malt. So, boil it for 30 minutes before your first hops addition.

really?

so if I'm doing 7.25 gal at 60, what's the standard pre-boil volume often used for a 90 min boil?

thanks for bringing this to my attention

Well, I don't know what your boil off rate is for your system. On my current system I boil off about 1 gallon per hour, but in my other pot it's more like 1.5 or maybe even 2 depending upon how vigorous the boil is.

So, you probably want to add at least half a gallon, maybe more. You can just take a reading at the beginning of the boil, and another at 30 minutes into the boil and figure out how much water you've boiled off, then add that much more.

Sorry to resurrect a thread that was probably finished, but I am planning on brewing with pilsner next. I am only using a pound and supplementing the rest with DME. So if I mash the pilsner, do I still need to boil for 90min or is it less of a problem for the smaller amount of grain?

Second, does pilsner have enough diastatic power to be mashed on its own? I'm assuming yes based on OP's grain bill, just wanted to make sure. Even if it doesn't, ill just pretend it is a steeping grain and all my fermentables can come from the DME.

My plan is to mash at ~152f for an hour, then bring to a boil for 90minutes. I'll add hops with 60, 15, and 1 min left in the boil. I'll add my DME with the 15 minute hops. Any issues there? Thanks in advance.

Yes boil the pilsner for 90 min( i have nothing to back this up) Pilsner is a base grain so has plenty of diastatic power. You mash and hope schedule sound good.

Back