belgian yeast w/ pumpkin beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drengel

Reaction score
anyone used belgian yeast on a pumpkin beer? just transferred mine to the secondary and its interesting cause all the spice and pumpkin aroma, well not all but most, is gone and now has that fruity smell belgian yeast gives...i guess im a little worried about it and am looking for someone whos tried it to tell me evrythings gonna be alright. by the way its a pretty typical pumpkin beer with light malt extract, crystal 60L, hallertau and another hop i cant remember, and cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg. luckily if its bad i only brewed 2.5 gallons to be split between me and my buddy.

I used a Belgian abbey yeast with my pumpkin beer and the yeast characteristics really do hide the spice profile. It turned out to be a really tasty Belgian Abbey with a slight hint of some pumpkin spices...if you didn't know it was pumpkin pie spice you probably couldn't identify it.

At first I was a little bummed, but after a few bottles I accepted it for what it is and really enjoy it now. I have about a case left that I'm saving for Thanksgiving.

thanks nate, thats reassuring, i guess ill just have to accept it for what it is, im sure it'll taste good. perhaps i could add some more spices when i prime it, although i dont want it to have too many things going on at once, ill guess ill just have to taste it before i bottle it and decide. by the way, whats that double white you have listed on your signature thing?

bottled this last night and it is really great. after a couple weeks in the secondary the belgian fruity smell has subsided a bit and you can really smell the pumpkin and spice in it now. the taste of it is very nice and very belgian-fruity, a little spicy (cinnamon and nutmeg come through pretty well), good pumpkin undertones and slightly sweet and malty. never took the OG or FG for it (wanted it to be a complete surprise) so i dont know how much alcohol is in it or how well the yeast converted the sugars, but i am damn pleased. cant wait to drink more of it, wish we wouldve made more than 2.5 gallons.

Back