Can I make my own Special Roast Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradinator

Reaction score
I went hunting around the city for Special Roast Malt and found that it was unavailable. One of the LHBS suggested I make my own by toasting/wetting/magicking some other grains. When I asked him what grains and process to use to do this he laughed maniacally and disappeared in a puff of smoke (well actually he said he didn't know).

So I am wondering if anyone has made a Special roast or modified any grain in such a way for a recipe before? Ingredients and procedure would be appreciated! :)

I toast raw wheat for my pale ales. I doubt you can actually make Special Roast. Briess says it's toasty, biscuity, sour dough, and tangy. You can get toasty biscuit. Radical brewing suggests toasting at 350-375 for 30-40 minutes for 50L. You could soak it for a few hours before. Randy Mosher says that soaking it makes the flavor richer and more malty. The grain will not look as dark as it really is. Basically you would have brown malt.

Thanks for the pointers. I will probably try toasting some of my grains next batch and see how it turns out.

Back