Hey look what I found!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phrasty

Reaction score
I remembered I had this bottle in a storage room at the back of the house for i dunno HOW many years, Prob close to 20yrs... I really should have taken a "before" pic but just kinda went straight into cleanin her up! Was so dirty. Its been sitting with a diluted bleach solution for bout a week now. It's a 12 gallon glass bottle my mom got from a friend back in the day! I have 2 of them! I think it should make a pretty sweet fermenter! In the pic its in a cooler box i made for my fermentations. What you all think??? :D

Screenshot_1.jpg

Cheers

That box is awesome. What sort of temps ya get in there? We're just goin into the cooler months now... but Im gonna have to make something like thatwhen summer rolls around again...

Ought to work just fine. Just be careful with it- there doesn't look like there is a real good way to get a grip on it, and I'd hate to see you get hurt somehow if it shatters on you .....

It works great... seeing as how ambient is up in the 90's it holding a steady 69-71! just filled it up last night with fresh bottles going in for their 2 week sleep and a new batch of american wheat beer. Your right Bernie.. working on getting a handle for it.. thig is, it's larger than normal... think im gonna make a strap harness for it. Thanks guys.

Cheers

I had a 15 gallon carboy that looked like that. The glass was really variable, thick here, thin there. It shattered while being cleaned one day, so be careful.

Very cool find.

This bottle is actually pretty solid! (still doesnt mean it cant break but its pretty thick all round)
Heres a pic of the bottle in use and the "cool box" filled up:
Screenshot_2.jpg

Cheers.

Oh yeah DennysFC The fermenter (big bottle) there is about 20" diameter at its widest and about 22"-24" high. Holds 15 gallons to the base of the neck..

nah nuthin special for bottling yet good ole second hand bottles.... dont worry though, in due time I'll find something fun! hehe

Latest posts

Back