whats the difference between these two grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohill1981

Reaction score
I am trying to make a Hazed and Infused clone that calls for
10lbs of pale ale malt (2row)US

I am confused because on midwest supplies page ...there is not a Pale Ale Malt 2-row

there is a Pale Ale Malt (Briess) and a American 2-Row (Rahr)

can someone please explain to me what the difference is of the two and which one do i need to choose to follow this recipe...?

I didn't look them up.

Prolly little more than the Lovibond, which if that is the only grain you are
using it could make notable a difference. Although the darker kilned, of the two should have a tad more bready note to it than the lighter.

i think so, yes.

the difference is just the maltster.

but breiss makes both a 2-row malt and a 6-row. just make sure you're getting the 2-row

ok ty I will do some research on the different malts as well.

hmm.... from midwest
American 2-Row: Probably the most commonly used base malt in all-grain or partial-mash brewing. Yields a slightly higher extraction rate than 6-Row. 2-Row is well modified, smooth, and high in enzymes. A single step infusion mash will easily convert 2-Row, but a protein rest is recommended to improve clarity. Lovibond rating: 1.15-2.0

Briess Pale Ale Malt: This malt is a less expensive alternative to British or Belgian pale ale malt. Slightly darker version of the Briess 2-row, comparable performance suited for any ale. Lovibond rating: 3.2-3.6°L

The two you listed are both 2-row; the Briess Pale Ale malt yields a slightly darker wort. The Briess Pale Ale malt is just what your recipe calls for.

hmm.... from midwest
American 2-Row: Probably the most commonly used base malt in all-grain or partial-mash brewing. Yields a slightly higher extraction rate than 6-Row. 2-Row is well modified, smooth, and high in enzymes. A single step infusion mash will easily convert 2-Row, but a protein rest is recommended to improve clarity. Lovibond rating: 1.15-2.0

Briess Pale Ale Malt: This malt is a less expensive alternative to British or Belgian pale ale malt. Slightly darker version of the Briess 2-row, comparable performance suited for any ale. Lovibond rating: 3.2-3.6°L

That's basically what I linked to in this site's wiki that not many people know about. The Pale ale malt works really well in English ales when you don't have Marris Otter on hand.

Actually this reminds me of a question I had earlier, is pale malt and pale ale malt the same thing or different?

The same thing, goes by many different names. Depending on the maltster. Generally if you are looking at 6-Row pale malt, it will be marketed as 6-Row, not just pale malt.

Pale just references the method by which the malt is dried and kilned. Typically kilned at a very low temperature with good ventilation, to remove most of the moisture while preserving the enzymes. Once below 10% moisture, the temp. is raised to further dry and kiln the malt. Depending on the final kilning temp and time, you will have different degrees of lovibond. Moisture will activate the enzymes and caiuse conversion of the starches INside the husk, this is what you get with crystal malts. This is why the temp. is kept low when producing pale base malts, to preserve the enzymes while there is a high moisture content.

Like I said, if it is Pale, is is likely 2-Row unless it specificaly sayes 6-Row (which is much higher in diastic power). The country and maltster of origin is really the only difference, and maybe a couple degrees lovibond.

Pale just references the method by which the malt is dried and kilned. Typically kilned at a very low temperature with good ventilation, to remove most of the moisture while preserving the enzymes. Once below 10% moisture, the temp. is raised to further dry and kiln the malt. Depending on the final kilning temp and time, you will have different degrees of lovibond. Moisture will activate the enzymes and caiuse conversion of the starches INside the husk, this is what you get with crystal malts. This is why the temp. is kept low when producing pale base malts, to preserve the enzymes while there is a high moisture content.

Damn that is a great high level breakdown. Thanks Pol

Damn that is a great high level breakdown. Thanks Pol

No problem... understanding malts and how they are created, is probably something that is not well understood, but should be, to anyone getting into all grain brewing.

Latest posts

Back