Glycerin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GavinCiampa

Reaction score
So I'm new to wine making and a friend went out and got me some stuff he thought would aid me. Everything is fine except he got me a bottle of glycerin and it says it's a finishing formula. Just wondering what this is and how it is used

Hi GavinCiampa - and welcome. Never actually used glycerin but it is often used as a fining agent - that is it is added to help clear the wine of any fruit particulates still floating in the wine after you have degassed the wine. Sometimes people add glycerin to help add mouthfeel to a wine that is too thin (not sufficiently viscous) and sometimes people may add glycerin as it adds a hint of sweetness.

Glycerin can be used to sweeten a wine. It is almost as sweet as sugar, taste some and you will see. It is not fermentable. Lactose is also not fermentable and is sometimes used for sweetening. Don't confuse Glycerin with Gelatin, which is used to help clear wine.

Latest posts

Back