Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brisket sounds good, pork is cheaper these days so a butt or shoulder may be in my cards rather than beef brisket. i never saw a pork brisket but pulled pork comes from a similar cut, Yes?

bwarbiany said:
Doing brisket this weekend. I had to choose between select packet from smart & final vs choice untrimmed cryo flats from Costco. I chose the flats. I bought two that were nice and bendy, about 6.5 lbs each. I've never done just a flat. Current plan is to only *lightly* trim, inject, rub, and smoke fat side down. Then to foil at 160 to ensure I retain moisture. Thoughts?

I wouldn't even consider select when it comes to brisket, it's such a tough cut that I need every advantage I can get to make it tender.

Its cold here so decided to jump on the opportunity to mesquite cold smoke some sausage, make some jerky, and grill some steaks on the coals.

It's a free improvised ugly smoker, but it gets the job done. That's a delicious homebrewed cream ale in the pint glass on the drum.

I got the big cabinet smoker for free the other day. It needs a lot of work to be ready for briskets or pork butts.

2013-12-06 19.18.28.jpg

2013-12-06 19.18.46.jpg

2013-12-06 19.19.01.jpg

2013-12-06 20.54.56.jpg

More than likely I am doing pulled beef tacos. But honestly I don't care what I cook, but I am cooking something... My kettle and 500lb if charcoal have missed me...

Welcome back!

Thanks! I still have another day and a half of travel ahead of me!

Along with pulled beef this weekend, I need to start gearing up for Christmas. Wife and I agreed to do a bone in prime rib roast. Lemme tell you, that ET 732 works AMAZING for that sorta thing. Meat comes out maybe an hour before it goes on the kettle... Basic rub... S&P or a little montreal... Meat goes on the kettle indirect at 225° and one, maybe two fist sized chunks of hickory (the wife dont like mesquite, it dont bother me either way), pull the meat and temporarily foil when it gets to about 115°, pile a crapton of charcoal in the kettle, off to two sides so we are still cooking indirect... Ramp it up as hot as it will get, return meat to the kettle for maybe 10 min tops so the exterior gets nice and crusty, while you end up with a perfect med rare inside... Here's one from springtime this year before I left...

more prime rib prep 7.jpg

Today I smoked three racks of ribs and some deer sausage from my neighbor.

2013-12-07 12.19.08.jpg
2013-12-07 14.17.16.jpg

I also made some salsa with fermented tomatoes, and bottled an oaked black currant mead.

How'd the explosion turnout???

"Ridiculously insanely good" would be an understatement. Bigger hit than the brisket. It was filled with mushroom, onion, spinach and gruyere.

The only thing I'll want to do differently in the future for the explosion and the jalapeno is to cook hotter. Since I had it in with the brisket, I was below 250. 300 would better cook the bacon a little more crisply. But not a soul complained as-is, so I think it was fine either way.

My only problem with Costco bacon is that it is terribly unreliable. I usually get 90% fat from the 3 packages I can not make out in the bundle.

I just rolled up a fatty to smoke up tomorrow or Wednesday for a breakfast for dinner type of thing. It is a 50-50 mix of sweet Italian sausage and spicy Chorizo with cheddar and sauteed onions with the last lingering piece of bacon from the lb. Got a tight weave and it looks tasty as it is and I will post pictures on smoking day.

I just did a hot and short smoke of a bison meatloaf with Applewood.

Of course I forgot pics. Holy hell it was the best meatloaf I ever had. I was about to toss it in the oven and said to hell with it. Put brownies in there instead.

I'm smoking 2 corned beef briskets injected with white cranberry peach juice and my special rub for a work party next week. I may do a rack of ribs also

Going to use cherry wood in my smoky mountain

No leftovers even. Probably needed more cheese for the amount of onion I included or at least something stringier than cheddar. Amazing though I will have to wait a couple weeks before I can do another. Talk about an artery clogger

10lb spiral cut ham.
Pretty decent, should have pulled it sooner when temp was 140 not 150. Learn a little every time!

image-2271461484.jpg

And when you're done eating them... You take every shred of leftover carcass, toss it in a large pot with just enough water to completely cover everything and then boil it for a couple hours.

Strain it through a fine strainer (something like cheesecloth) and then simmer it in a smaller pot for a while longer.

Remove from heat and refrigerate.

Next day.... Skim the smoked duck fat off the top.... for the WIN.

Put a dollop a' that stuff on your homefries while you're cookin em and prep for a flock of chicks to toss their panties at you Tom Jones style.

Cape Brewing said:
And when you're done eating them... You take every shred of leftover carcass, toss it in a large pot with just enough water to completely cover everything and then boil it for a couple hours.

Strain it through a fine strainer (something like cheesecloth) and then simmer it in a smaller pot for a while longer.

Remove from heat and refrigerate.

Next day.... Skim the smoked duck fat off the top.... for the WIN.

Put a dollop a' that stuff on your homefries while you're cookin em and prep for a flock of chicks to toss their panties at you Tom Jones style.

You sir... As much as this pains me to admit.... Are awesome.

Melana said:
You sir... As much as this pains me to admit.... Are awesome.

I struggle to find a sensible counter point to your assessment.

(Ps. We used some smoked duck fat to fry the chicken fried steak at the Pats tailgate last weekend. Winnnn-ing).

Alright, so I was planning on having duck on Christmas eve so this makes my life a ton easier. Smoke the duck and the fatty for christmas day. What wood did you go with. I am thinking maybe cherry for the duck. Temp? Time?

Alright, so I was planning on having duck on Christmas eve so this makes my life a ton easier. Smoke the duck and the fatty for christmas day. What wood did you go with. I am thinking maybe cherry for the duck. Temp? Time?

You will get a better and more informative response from Siri than you will from cape

Back