Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sounds really good. Have you tried cudighi? I did a stuffed zucchini on the smoker once that was fantastic. I bet it would work well in a fatty.

Never heard of it but will have to look for it now. A smoked stuffed Zucchini sounds amazing as well. That is the beauty of fatties. Anything that tastes good with sausage, and anything that tastes good with smoke will work. The beef/brat meat one was good but the beef/italian sausage one was better. I am going to be eating fatty mc-fat fat fat for about a week to kill these off. And I am not complaining one bit. My coworkers may though as it will stink delicious in here when I reheat them.

Never heard of it but will have to look for it now. A smoked stuffed Zucchini sounds amazing as well. That is the beauty of fatties. Anything that tastes good with sausage, and anything that tastes good with smoke will work. The beef/brat meat one was good but the beef/italian sausage one was better. I am going to be eating fatty mc-fat fat fat for about a week to kill these off. And I am not complaining one bit. My coworkers may though as it will stink delicious in here when I reheat them.

Need the time to make one of those.

a < 3 hour smoke. You can prep it the night before, and leave it in the refrigerator, then upon getting home from work start up the smoker and throw that baby on. Can be ready as a late dinner. Also, its a great meal to throw on the smoker while you are brewing. Both can be done at around the same time.

Don't smoke your overhead door. Not my door, but this happened to a fellow Facebook smoker.

smoker fire.jpg

Don't smoke your overhead door. Not my door, but this happened to a fellow Facebook smoker.

Looks like a pellet smoker? Did the fire go back into the auger as I've heard horror stories of it happening on Traeger grills?

Only way I can see something like that happening is if the entire smoker went up in flames.

I believe it was a Bradley. The owner though it was a grease fire.

Several other Bradley owners have had grease fires in theirs.

I've got a 10+lb brisket going to do on Sunday. Still thinking if I want to rub it with my usual suspects or go with a Montreal Smoked Meat seasoning. I need to figure that out soon - I actually wanted to get something on there today, but tomorrow will be soon enough. As long as I have over 24 hours on there before it goes in the pit, I'll be fine (from my previous experiments)

I use the Franklin method, 50/50 salt & pepper. Works well and everyone loves the results. Look it up.

Its the only way I go anymore... Dalmatian Rub! Best briskets of my life are salt, pepper and post oak.

My brother in law and me at Myron Mixon's BBQ class in Georgia. I'm hoping to learn something here.

FB_20150911_23_16_54_Saved_Picture.jpg

That's pretty cool. Is he as big of a jerk in person like he is on tv? Or is that just the role he plays

Plan on cooking some ribs this afternoon

I got back home late last night. It was a great weekend and I did get some good information. Myron was personable, funny, and approachable all weekend. The man is certainly passionate about barbecue and takes it seriously.

The tv persona is definitely different from what I experienced. Overall a good weekend with a chance to prepare and eat some top-notch barbecue.

Moink balls, ready for the smoker.

8 are stuffed with cheddar and Monterey Jack. The other 4 are stuffed with bleu cheese and Frank's red hot buffalo sauce.

That's a damn good idea using buffalo sauce How'd they turn out? I made some last week my only complaint was they were a little dry.

I smoked half a Boston butt Saturday. We had pork tacos Saturday night, huevos rancheros Sunday morning, fajitas Sunday night, and made a big pot of green chile posole with the last of it last night.

You got a lot of use out of that!

Brisket went on at 1 this morning. The WSM with the IQ120 has been solid at 225 with the internal sitting at 176 right now. I plan on pulling from the pit at 190 to 195 depending on tenderness and wrapping in foil and resting for an hour or two in a heavy towel.

Cooked a 23 lb Beef Shoulder Clod starting Friday night at 5:30 to serve for dinner on Saturday. Took 23 hours to cook, probably could have pulled it off an hour or so earlier. I know you can cook these to medium rare and serve like prime rib but I wanted to pull the small end for sandwiches and slice the rest for a brisket type of service. Made an au jus to drizzle on the sandwiches, yummy!

Big hunk of meat
photo-1-66152.jpg

Made sure to a have enough wood...took more than this. 14 month seasoned Red Oak.
photo-2-66153.jpg

Dry brined for 24 hours and stuck some coarse ground pepper on with EVOO.
photo-33-66154.jpg

Watched the fire for a long time. Tried to keep it around 250ºF.
photo-43-66157.jpg

Flipped it after 8 hours. Nice bark all around after 15 hours.
photo-52-66158.jpg

Wrapped it once it seemed to have enough smoke.
photo-62-66159.jpg

Pulled beef in the bowl and sliced on the board.
photo-72-66160.jpg

Pardon the coleslaw, must have fallen off the sandwich.
photo-82-66161.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443393866.378360.jpg Turkey breast(s) from last weekend turned out really awesome. Smoked two at once and they didn't last very long! Brined for about 8 hours using the standard Thanksgiving recipe:

1/2 gallon water
1/4 c soy sauce
1 c apple juice
1/4 c olive oil
1/4 c salt
1/4 c sugar
1 tsp each of tarragon, thyme, rosemary, black pepper
Indeterminate amount of juniper berries (just until it looks right)

Actually ended up using two sprigs of rosemary from the garden - about 1 ft in length each.

Can you explain this more? Looks great!

the first time I saw this monstrous mass of meatatarian deliciousness was at post #120 of this thread....you can add or take out anything you want, but the dang thing is amazing no matter what ya do with it.
(I still haven't figured out how to link an individual post, but you'll get there this way. :D)

Last edited:
Back