Group Buy in Chicago #7

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE

The buy will remain open until midnight 2/16/2013. Please review your order and make sure you are comfortable with everything and can afford to pay what you owe. This database has made it very easy for people to go nuts and order stuff. Starman can attest to that. :) Over the next weekend, orders will be reviewed and incomplete splits will be dropped to help clean stuff up. Pricing will also be updated wherever needed. Always refer to the catalog (link is in the database) for the latest pricing. In all honesty, even at higher prices the pricing we are getting is still pretty damn good. After this has al been reviewed and updated as necessary, we will begin collecting payments. Given the size of this group buy, I may opt to do a wire transfer instead of multiple credit card transactions. If I do wire transfer, I will add the $25 bank charge on the delivery costs. $25 spread across over 10,000 pounds is a drop in the bucket. Order away, mad brewers!

This is the first buy where delivery is spread across total pounds ordered including non grain items.

Bill, with things wrapping up would it be too much to ask you to inquire about the JD barrels. Specifically the shipping, with the grain order or after the fact to the distribution center for pick-up. The base price at 95 for a 53 gal is great, its the shipping that i am guessing will be goofy. There were at least 3 interested parties, maybe more with some more info.

Thanks
Dave

Bill, with things wrapping up would it be too much to ask you to inquire about the JD barrels. Specifically the shipping, with the grain order or after the fact to the distribution center for pick-up. The base price at 95 for a 53 gal is great, its the shipping that i am guessing will be goofy. There were at least 3 interested parties, maybe more with some more info.

Thanks
Dave

I'll ask

If it is possible to get the JD barrels, who all is interested in splitting one as it is probably more than most of us can handle at 53 gallons? And how much could you contribute? I could do 15-25 gallons depending on how many people want to participate. We should organize a brew day and get that barrel filled as soon as possible to prevent it from drying out and leaking. If there's enough interest it may be worthy of starting a separate thread.

I may have space to house a barrel in my basement (it's not the cleanest of places but maintains decent temps) but I may be moving come June so it would only be a minimum amount of time to age in a barrel that size.

I'm looking to get in on the buy and just registered today. How long do I have?

Thanks!

You're good to go. The buy ends at midnight this Friday. If you have any questions about splits ask on this thread.

What is the catalog number for the jack daniels barrel?

I re-added a split of that sweet sweet acidulated malt for anyone making wheats or lambics. What say yea!

Thanks Bill!

I'm looking to do a split of white wheat malt. I saw it show up as 4 of 5 and I don't know what that means. I'd like 1/2 -1/3 of a bag. Do I do anything specific to get that amount?

Thanks,

Mike Murray

1/5 split would be 10 lbs. 1/5 of 50 lbs. So you can just take 2/5 or 3/5 of that one. Which would be 20 or 30 lbs, respectively...

EDIT: 4 of 5 means there are four splits still available.

1/5 split would be 10 lbs. 1/5 of 50 lbs. So you can just take 2/5 or 3/5 of that one. Which would be 20 or 30 lbs, respectively...

EDIT: 4 of 5 means there are four splits still available.

Does that mean that I got the first split? Because it lists the grain on my total, but doesn't have a price on it. Or does it mean that someone else took 1/5 of it? It seemed like I put it up and it immediately was at 4/5...

Sorry--1st time buyer, but really digging this setup. Thanks to all who put time and effort into this!

Mike Murray

Sorry--Changed my split to a Briess white wheat malt, but don't see it yet...

Anyone know if there is a difference between Briess insta grains yellow corn flakes and Brewer's Grains Flaked Corn? There's a big difference in price...

Bill, if we are finished tinkering with our orders, can we send you funds?

Did you create a new split or did you add on to an existing one?

I think I figured out how to do the splits using the buttons. I added a new split as Wheat Malt - Canada Malt Company. But this is the one I DON'T want. I don't know if someone else has added on to this. If I'm correct, I've deleted my interest in that split.

I've added Wheat Malt, White - Briess. That one I DO want. If anyone else wants in on this split, have at it.

Thanks,

Mike Murray

Sorry--Changed my split to a Briess white wheat malt, but don't see it yet...

Anyone know if there is a difference between Briess insta grains yellow corn flakes and Brewer's Grains Flaked Corn? There's a big difference in price...

The one big difference is Brewer's Grains is a 50# bag and Briess Insta is only 25#. As far as difference in flavor, I can't attest, I have never used either. I am, however, purchasing a 25# sack of Briess InstaGrains Yellow Corn Flakes.

The one big difference is Brewer's Grains is a 50# bag and Briess Insta is only 25#. As far as difference in flavor, I can't attest, I have never used either. I am, however, purchasing a 25# sack of Briess InstaGrains Yellow Corn Flakes.

Interesting in opening up a split with a 50# bag? I'd like 11 pounds, but would take 22 pounds if I had to.

Anyone interested in a split of corn flakes?

I opened a split on Victory Malt if anyone is interested. The acidulated malt split is also still open if anyone is interested. Themats, I would drop my InstaGrain Yellow Corn 25# sack if you want to split a 50# Brewer's Grains flaked corn sack. Just remember, if we don't fill a split, it gets dropped after Friday.

I opened a split on Victory Malt if anyone is interested. The acidulated malt split is also still open if anyone is interested. Themats, I would drop my InstaGrain Yellow Corn 25# sack if you want to split a 50# Brewer's Grains flaked corn sack. Just remember, if we don't fill a split, it gets dropped after Friday.

I'll open a split with a 25# bag if anyone wants the other half. That way you still get what you want. I'm ok with getting 12.5 pounds if someone takes the other half.

Any thoughts on how we execute all the splits on shipment day? Incorporate the cost of some large bags to divy up all the splits. I'm in six splits alone.

Any thoughts on how we execute all the splits on shipment day? Incorporate the cost of some large bags to divy up all the splits. I'm in six splits alone.

I was planning on using some cheap plastic trash bags (doubled up). All of the splits will take a crew of 5-6 guys a whole Saturday to do I think. Pick ups will not begin until the splits are done which effectively means on Sunday onward. We want to make sure that splits are done accurately so we can't have any distractions of people picking up while doing the splits. I hope everyone understands.

I was planning on using some cheap plastic trash bags (doubled up). All of the splits will take a crew of 5-6 guys a whole Saturday to do I think. Pick ups will not begin until the splits are done which effectively means on Sunday onward. We want to make sure that splits are done accurately so we can't have any distractions of people picking up while doing the splits. I hope everyone understands.

Makes good sense, the last hop split went pretty darn smooth..assuming the pick-ups went as easily.

bmason1623 said:

Will the hops splits be vacuum sealed again?

I'm in on a bunch of 10 to 13.75 lb grain splits.
Anyone have any idea what size of container will hold that amount of grain?

I'm in on a bunch of 10 to 13.75 lb grain splits.
Anyone have any idea what size of container will hold that amount of grain?

I just picked up a bunch of buckets at Home Depot the other day. I got the kind that are semi-transparent with volume graduations on the side to help keep an eye on the amount of grain in the bucket. Also, get the Gamma lids. They are gasketed, and screw on air-tight. Each bucket/lid combo cost me about $12.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back